U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2010, 09:55 PM

2 posts, read 8,374 times

Advertisements

Im currently ,iving in Moscow Russia and its wonderful, however I cannot handle living in the snow any longer and I am moving to Miami. Is there a Russian neighbourhood in Miami.... I know there is but where? Where is the best place to live? I hear about Hurricanes?? What do you people do in Hurricane situations?? Is there a shark problem and alligator problem... please tell me all this.

Also, since modelling is my career, can anyone suggest if Miami is good for models.

Thanks Alot.

Luka Magnotta
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2010, 09:58 PM

4,748 posts, read 7,341,651 times
Sunny ISles (russian hood)

Moderator cut: cannot post copyrighted images

Alligators: Not by the coast
Sharks: Always be careful
Hurricanes: We go to shelters (schools mostly)

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 09-26-2010 at 11:34 PM..

Old 09-26-2010, 03:27 AM

5,296 posts, read 8,908,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic3000 View Post
I'm currently living in Moscow Russia and it's wonderful, however I cannot handle living in the snow any longer and I am moving to Miami. Is there a Russian neighbourhood in Miami.... I know there is but where? Where is the best place to live? I hear about Hurricanes?? What do you people do in Hurricane situations?? Is there a shark problem and alligator problem... please tell me all this.

Also, since modelling is my career, can anyone suggest if Miami is good for models.

Thanks Alot.

Luka Magnotta
I believe there are Russian neighborhoods along the strip of land that hosts the best beaches, just off the mainland, in municipalities called Miami Beach (probably northern Miami Beach), Surfside, Bal Harbour, and Sunny Isles Beach (pictured above). These are some of the best places to live. The others are Brickell, the business district, Coconut Grove, Coral Gables, South Miami, Dadeland.

Get Google Earth or similar mapping software, they're all over the internet free.

Hurricanes that directly slam into the mainland from the Atlantic are relatively rare. We experienced two consecutive years, 2004-2005, of several direct hits on southern Florida, one of which coming from the west, which is even rarer. The main problems in the aftermath of hurricanes are: in the short-term, no electricity, which means no electric light and stoves for cooking, and no pumping of tap water and of gasoline for cars; in the medium-term, insurance rates. Before 2004-2005, the last major hurricane was in 1992. Nothing has happened since 2005. The Florida Keys and the panhandle (northwest Florida) are more at risk than the Miami area.

Building codes since 1996 are very strict. In any case, some coastal inhabitants must evacuate, most other people follow a series of guidelines, including stocking up on water and canned food to last at least three days. We usually have around 4-5 days advance notice, sometimes even more, so those who want to leave may do so with relative calm. The panic starts when people start making preparations the last minute.

Interaction between humans and live alligators is extremely rare. When it happens, it makes the news. The same goes for sharks.

The media market in Miami, so including the modeling market, I suppose, is geared towards the Hispanic market. However, that does not mean that there is not a niche for your particular sector. That is where you need to make contacts. I don't think anyone on this forum is in the modeling business.

Good Luck!

Old 09-26-2010, 06:06 AM

245 posts, read 493,528 times
Prevyet! I have heard there is a huge Russian population centered in Sunny Isles Beach. Tha's around 30 minutes north of Miami. I live in Brickell and I hear Russian here and in SoBe all the time...

Old 09-26-2010, 06:49 AM

115 posts, read 265,284 times
In Sunny Isles Beach you can get by without even speaking English, that's how Russian it is!! They have tons of stores and businesses of all kinds (grocery, hair salons, dry cleaners, real estate etc) where the employers and employees are all russian. It's a beautiful city, on a strip of coastal land with great beaches and expensive condos.
Aventura also has a fairly large russian population,mostly jewish.
For your line of work, I think South Beach might be a better place, your english seems pretty good, why would you need to live in the middle of the Russian diaspora anyways?Go where the job opportunities are.
Oh, and coming from Moscow, I think you'll find even the expensive parts of Miami pretty cheap!!

Old 09-26-2010, 08:48 PM

I was thinking on immigrating to Moskva some years ago.

Old 09-26-2010, 09:01 PM

637 posts, read 1,672,584 times
Sonic3000:

If you do in fact come to the states the absolute worst thing you can do for yourself is move into a Russian ethnic neighborhood. You will set yourself back years because it is much easier speaking your native tongue then mastering a new language.

Best of luck,

Rich

Old 09-26-2010, 09:23 PM

4,626 posts, read 7,681,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFLrunner View Post
orphaned quote
Moderator cut: orphaned part of post Sonic3000, there are definitely model opportunities in Miami, it is a major center for modeling in the USA. Be yourself and follow your own dreams. Be polite to people you meet and opportunities will open to you.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 09-26-2010 at 11:36 PM..

Old 09-26-2010, 09:41 PM

They understand each other

Old 09-26-2010, 11:04 PM

810 posts, read 1,213,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian08 View Post
Moderator cut: orphaned quote
i have never heard of Google translate. i learned something new today thank you. google understand mexican slang but not any other country slang not cool

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 09-26-2010 at 11:37 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami