Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 01:32 PM

28 posts, read 114,782 times

Advertisements

Traffic sucks most everywhere, in any city.
Traffic depends on where you live, and where you need to get to.
In Miami, if you live and work East of I-95, there's not much traffic. If you live down South and need to get up to Doral/Hialeah/Miami Lakes, I feel for you. Same if you need to cross from West of the Turnkpike to anywhere near the East coast. Traffic sucks. ***MOD CUT***

Same in LA. If you live in the valley and need to get to BH, SM, or anywhere South of the I-10, the 405 is a parking lot from 8-9AM, and from 4-6PM, if there are no accidents. ***MOD CUT***

Last edited by doggiebus; 05-27-2011 at 05:51 PM.. Reason: Racist comments not allowed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2011, 03:37 PM

225 posts, read 445,446 times
Ive lived in alot of places and Miami is not "traffic hell".

Old 05-26-2011, 03:45 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,028,295 times
Think of all that snow you aint shoveling
Miami Tops Road Rage Poll - The Car Connection

Old 05-27-2011, 01:54 AM

96 posts, read 209,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
bad urban planning
That's Miami!

Quote:
drivers in Miami know how to drive when the pavement has some water on it
What do you mean? When it rains here people slow down to 30mph and drive EVEN CLOSER to the other vehicles, even when the pavement isn't puddled up. SPEED isn't the issue, rate of acceleration, and braking distance is the issue. When it's a little wet drive the same speed, but KEEP YOUR DISTANCE. Try slamming your brakes and taking left turns (especially in a properly designed, that is rear wheel drive, vehicle) on wet pavement and get back to me on that.

Quote:
traffic is really not that bad.
And if everyone would learn and abide by the major traffic laws (I'm not talking about speed limits) and above all respect other drivers I'm fairly confident there would be no traffic congestion issues in Miami.

Old 05-27-2011, 09:47 AM

25 posts, read 33,706 times
Santiago is correct, so I'm not going to repeat what he wrote parrot fashion. It's not that the actual volume of traffic is really any worse than any other major US metro. The volume of traffic is actually worse in LA, Atlanta, DC & New York.

A lot of the traffic problems in Miami are caused by poor driving and lack of law enforcement. How many jams are caused each day by the countless and mostly avoidable accidents here? A lot of congestion is also caused by poor lane discipline on the freeways, lane hogging, driving while distracted (cell phone usage) or even the large number of people who get caught driving while under the influence of drugs or alcohol. There's always one car in one lane (any lane) doing 40, another car in the next lane doing 90.

People drive aggressively in other cities, but the difference in Miami is that most people are simply not skilled enough to be able to drive with speed and aggression. It seems that most drivers are literally oblivious to the fact that their driving could cause a serious accident.

When it rains, forget it. People's heads seem to shrink. God help these people if they were ever to have to drive in snow!

It's the blatant disregard for the law and the blatant disregard for others, combined with little or no law enforcement and god awful driving skills. Solve these problems and bingo, Miami becomes a much better place to drive, cycle or walk than many other major cities. It's often as simple as enforcing enforcing existing laws and ruling with an iron fist for a while until people get the message, even if it's an expensive lesson!

Old 05-27-2011, 10:13 AM

4,968 posts, read 10,154,372 times
Driver tests are way too easy.

Old 05-27-2011, 01:13 PM

163 posts, read 315,443 times
Agreed with what others are saying. Its not the volume, its the mentality. There is heavy traffic in and around all cities. I've had generally worse experiences off the highway then on it in miami.

Old 05-27-2011, 02:33 PM

2,217 posts, read 4,253,861 times
I wouldn't say it's bad urban planning either I'd say its a city that absorbed a massive amount of population much faster than it was at all prepared for or could cope with.

Old 05-29-2011, 05:39 AM

96 posts, read 209,434 times
How many housing units were built on unzoned land without permits? People need somewhere to live, and the majority of the construction to support the population increases was done legally.

Old 05-29-2011, 07:11 AM

2,217 posts, read 4,253,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by santiago33 View Post
How many housing units were built on unzoned land without permits? People need somewhere to live, and the majority of the construction to support the population increases was done legally.
perhaps but they were done without much thought put into traffic flow. even now in homestead and all over miami i see bizarre parkinglot layouts that dont make any sense. the parkinglot layouts in california were practically intuitive. i also see lots of places here where even the lines on the road are incorrect and you are forced to disobey them to do something like crossing double yellow. they only recently corrected the double yellow going into my complex i was forced to cross to get to my own house. the fact of the matter is that miami swallowed way too much immigration too quickly. whats done is done though. it swallowed too many people too quickly. and all these quaint little neighborhoods suddenly had alot of traffic going through them and absolutely no room for road expansion. the problem is miami always wants growth! growth! growth! for the quick money with very little thought going into how to make it work successfully.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami