Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2010, 10:48 AM

16 posts, read 65,827 times

Advertisements

Another post on the Miami forum about our upcoming cruise...

If we're driving south from Valdosta, Georgia, do we want to take the Google Maps suggested route which is:

I-75 toward Lake City
Florida Turnpike for about 265 miles (through Orlando)
Then pick up I-95 for the last 10 or 12 miles.

Is there any reason we might want to take the "western" route which would be I-75 all the way down and then cut over to Miami?

Don't care about the scenery... just want to avoid the most traffic and we were thinking Orlando might be really congested??

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2010, 11:27 AM

2,930 posts, read 7,031,450 times
I doubt that would be better. I-75 is too far west. From Naples to Miami is 100 miles at least. Scenery is the same trees, trees and more trees. You would pay less tolls, the "tollpike" is very expensive from Orlando to Miami but in my opinion you would be adding like 90 driving minutes if you take I-75 All the way to Miami. For someone that doest want to pay those tolls(not sure how much they cost like $30 or $45) it's better to take I-95 but you drive east for that.

Old 10-02-2010, 01:39 PM

16 posts, read 65,827 times
Thanks for the reply!

Old 10-02-2010, 10:07 PM

1,284 posts, read 3,877,903 times
I-75 to the Turnpike is the most direct and easiest route.There's no reason whatsoever to keep going on 75 to Tampa and Naples,from Naples to Miami is like an hour plus of nothing,really boring.If you want to save some bucks on the turnpike at Ft.Pierce grab I-95 (exit 152 on the turnpike),I-95 is like a mile from the turnpike at this exit and 95 is free the rest of the way,you save like $8-$10 doing this.

Old 10-03-2010, 12:01 AM

17 posts, read 52,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denkirk View Post

If we're driving south from Valdosta, Georgia, do we want to take the Google Maps suggested route which is:

I-75 toward Lake City

Is there any reason we might want to take the "western" route which would be I-75 all the way down and then cut over to Miami?

Don't care about the scenery... just want to avoid the most traffic and we were thinking Orlando might be really congested??

Thanks.
YES-TAKE I-75 AND TAKE I-95 SOUTHWARD TO THE PORT OF MIAMI TURNOFF. BEWARE OF STOPPING FOR GAS IN DOWNTOWN-LEAVE NO CAR UNATTENDED, NO VALUABLES VISIBLE WHEN YOU STOP. DO NOT JUST SALUTE THE AVERAGE GUY ON THE STREET-MIAMI IS PLAGUED WITH VICIOUS (I AM SAD TO ADMIT IT-BUT OUR TOURISTS ARE SACRED TO ME) muggings, fraud, and car-jackings'. Keep to the big fast roads-and get there early at THE PORT-XECURITY WILL BE REALLY TIGHT WITH THE USA WORRYING ABOUT TERRORISM IN 2010 LATE IN THE AUTUMN. AVOID RUSH HOUR TRAFFIC!BE SAFE!

[quote=denkirk;16117376]Another post on the Miami forum about our upcoming cruise...

I-75 toward Lake City

Is there any reason we might want to take the "western" route which would be I-75 all the way down and then cut over to I-75 (YES,YES,AND YES!) ORLANDO, YOU ASKED, IS MUCH MORE CROWDED-ESPECIALLY DISNEY WORLD AND OUTLYING HOTELS-EXCEPT DURING THESE HARD ECONOMIC TIMES, THE PARK IS OFFERING ATTRACTIVE TOURIST DEALS-CONSULT AN ORLANDO AGENT TO PRE-ARRANGE LODGINGS AND PARK PASSES SO EVERYTHING IS WAITING FOR YOUR VISIT.

Last edited by doggiebus; 10-03-2010 at 11:18 AM..

Old 10-03-2010, 02:55 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,422,866 times
Too bad you want to skip the scenery. I think the drive on Rt1 to A1A from Palm Beach to South Beach is one of the most gorgeous cruises you could ever take. Especially A1A from Broward to SoBe. Truly breathtaking. I relive it in my dreams regularly. Ought not to be missed.

Old 10-04-2010, 07:55 AM

196 posts, read 587,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAJESTICRAND View Post
ORLANDO, YOU ASKED, IS MUCH MORE CROWDED-ESPECIALLY DISNEY WORLD AND OUTLYING HOTELS-EXCEPT DURING THESE HARD ECONOMIC TIMES, THE PARK IS OFFERING ATTRACTIVE TOURIST DEALS-CONSULT AN ORLANDO AGENT TO PRE-ARRANGE LODGINGS AND PARK PASSES SO EVERYTHING IS WAITING FOR YOUR VISIT.
The OP is not going to Disney...they're just looking for suggestions regarding the quickest drive from GA to Miami.

Old 10-04-2010, 03:17 PM

626 posts, read 1,229,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denkirk View Post

I-75 toward Lake City

Thanks.

I drive from Dothan, Alabama to Miami every couple of months or so.
I take 231 South to IH-10 East and link with I-75 (Lake City) South until the Florida Turnpike and south to Miami. Toll charge is about $14 and change, (from Orlando) at the Palm Beach toll.
From there you can hook up with I-95 and it should be and easy access to the Port of Mia.
That's if you want to avoid traffic...but beware, once you reach Ft. Lauderdale, traffic just gets obscene, irrational and just plain rude.
Have a safe trip.

Old 10-04-2010, 05:32 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,092,400 times
Orlando traffic isn't bad if you are thru traffic on the turnpike. You can get off in Vero Beach like some said and save money that way. Don't take 75 all the way, it's a much less direct way of arriving.

On the other hand, you might want the Turnpike vs. 95 depending on traffic and construction so listen to the radio to see which is better startingin Palm Beach County and make a last minute call. I have taken both down (95 and the Turnpike) and neither is better or worse than the other with the exception or random accidents which can make the alternative more or less viable.

Old 10-07-2010, 11:39 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,507,325 times
[quote=MAJESTICRAND;16124110] BEWARE OF STOPPING FOR GAS IN DOWNTOWN-LEAVE NO CAR UNATTENDED, NO VALUABLES VISIBLE WHEN YOU STOP. DO NOT JUST SALUTE THE AVERAGE GUY ON THE STREET-MIAMI IS PLAGUED WITH VICIOUS (I AM SAD TO ADMIT IT-BUT OUR TOURISTS ARE SACRED TO ME) muggings, fraud, and car-jackings'. Keep to the big fast roads-and get there early at THE PORT-XECURITY WILL BE REALLY TIGHT WITH THE USA WORRYING ABOUT TERRORISM IN 2010 LATE IN THE AUTUMN. AVOID RUSH HOUR TRAFFIC!BE SAFE!

What kind of hysteria is this? The only gas station I know of downtown is on Biscayne Boulevard right across from the Port entrance. I have not heard of any tourists being mugged or car jacked anywhere near the Port of Miami. You make it sound like it's a freaking War zone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami