Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2010, 07:38 AM

2,930 posts, read 7,060,311 times

Advertisements

You probably shouldn't move here. Not only you sound awefully unprepared but with that attitude you are not gonna be happy here. Your son applied for a promotion and he wants an answer righ away? I don't think so. Please.

Sorry, but you have a lot if demands and you basically don't know Miami at all. This isn't Texas for better or worse. We have a lot people that work independly here and you might find a lot of competition as a photographer. I don't know about photography but I know a lot of proffessions pay less here, it's called the sunshine tax. The wealthy and affluent here behave completely different than Dallasites. You don't know this market and there might not be a strong demand for your services. The Hispanics that move here are not the same as the Mexicans that move to Dallas to work the lowest paid jobs. Here you have a more educated crowd.

I don't like to sugarcoat things. With such a negative attitude you are not gonna like it here. I recommend you Stay in Dallas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2010, 08:29 AM

810 posts, read 1,578,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmlacysr View Post
Yes, absolutely.

My son get's a base salary and commission. He makes most of his money off commission. He's in the top 5% in sales in Texas but, spanish is not required. I think you see where I'm going here. He looked at sales in all of solfo and the top producing locations were Doral and Hialeigh for what he sells. Both locations said they would hire him in NY minute if he spoke Spanish and of course they would but he wasn't a good "language" fit. What is still TBD is how well will he do in NMB, we just don't know.

oh my!, it's Hialeah pronounced Hah-ee- a-lee- ah (hia, like "Mia" in "Miami" or "higher" without the R, leah is pronounced lee-uh like "ia" in "cafeteria"

Old 10-09-2010, 01:18 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,562,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmlacysr View Post
Thanks, but most likely snake oil for our situation. The breed of dog my son has is bred to bark (alert) so changing that behavior is much more difficult than most dogs. The good news is, NOBODY in their right mind is coming through our front door without us being there.

Well, no word on the job. Trying to get anyone over there to do anything in a timely manner seems difficult at best. Maybe it's a southern thing, maybe it's a vacation mentality thing, whatever it is, many over there appear to take their sweet old time and we are going to have to adjust to that pace or stroke out.

I've run into this several times speaking with people over there and with Realtors. They say they will send a list right away and it may take days to show up, if at all. I'm not accustomed to people not doing what they say when they say they will do it.

My son told me last night, he was thinking of telling them to forget it. His frustration level is pretty high right now and he has twice the patience I do. If everyone over there does business at this speed, we are not going to like soflo.

The good news is, we both do what we say we will do, when we say we will do it, so by soflo standards, we should be rock stars. The bad news is we'll have to deal with all the people who don't.

I did find a couple of houses yesterday that would work fine for now but of course I can't do anything but wait and wait and sigh a lot.

It's looking more and more like all this talk of moving there this month has been a waste of time and maybe just as well. If everyone drives 20mph in the fast lane over there, we are not likely a good fit anyway.

From our vantage point today, Florida should consider changing it's tag line from Sunshine State to the Perpetual Siesta State. No wonder your economy is so bad, even the work ethic appears to be on hiatus.
A couple of points to make on this post. As a Realtor in Florida you are a "potential" client and are not even sure if you will be relocating. You are what we call "tire kickers" and are not a priority until you actually get here.
Realize that Realtors make their money solely on commissions so they have to hustle and take care of whatever is if front of them in order to make money.
It has nothing to do with being slow in S. FL. in fact you will quickly realize that Miami & S. FL. aren't even remotely "Southern".
If your son would be able to get a confirmation letter from his company saying he is going to be relocated soon to such & such a place & you fax that to a Realtor you will move up the priority list pronto.

As for hearing about your son's job you have to realize that there is a lot of Unemployment in S. FL & he is probably competing with a lot of applicants too. That's not to discourage you or him but has he had a face to face interview yet? Perhaps he should push his employer to get a answer first instead.
I know you have to make quick decisions but being anxious is going to help either! Keep a clear head and good luck!

Old 10-11-2010, 05:53 PM

911 posts, read 1,713,249 times
He has the job he wanted, it's in downtown Miami, 8-5 m-f. He needs a drive time 20 minutes or under. That leaves Hollywood out so maybe Hallandale, Aventura but opens up the south to Coral Gables or the grove maybe. It wasn't much of a question if he had a job in MIA, it was getting corporate to make a decision on the location.

The plan was to leave this friday, but because we didn't have his relo confirmed until today, we can't move this Friday. We must be in soflo the 21st-26th so it looks like we'll fly to Miami, do our business then fly back only to pack up and drive to Miami and be ready to start his new job on Nov. 8th.

The good news is, we'll be there to rent a house this month, the bad news is, this seems like the hard way to do all this. I wanted to make one trip and that's why I was so frustrated, now it's looking like two.

Old 10-11-2010, 06:32 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,562,354 times
Jmlacysr! Congrats to your son on his job! Now about the 20 minutes thing! Forget about it because God only knows what could impede his commute. I suggest areas just northeast of downtown east of Biscayne Boulevard near the Venetian Causeway.
The Opera tower has rentals and they are opening a new Publix grocery store there soon. They also have a park near the bay.
Miami Condos | Luxury Biscayne Bay Condo Downtown | South Beach Real Estate | Miami Condominiums For Sale is Opera Tower

Wait! you have dogs also right?

Old 10-11-2010, 06:42 PM

4,968 posts, read 10,194,475 times
Congratz

Old 10-11-2010, 08:15 PM

Thanks guys, yes we have dogs rob.

I spoke with a dog trainer friend of mine today about rehoming. I couldn't even finish the sentence. We have dogs now and we'll have dogs there even if we have to live in a barn.

Old 10-12-2010, 08:09 AM

I have to admit to some apprehension this morning, it's all new and seems pretty overwhelming in scope. I think we always fear the unknown more than the known and everything is an unknown over there for us. Moving from Texas to Florida is not for the faint of heart.

It's going to very interesting to me what I think about soflorida. I'm rarely short of initial impressions and I'm quick to compare other cities that I have some experience. Honestly, I think I'm either going to love it or hate it.

Maybe when final plans are in place I'll feel better. I need a house. Right now, we have no place to call home. As much as I can prepare online, I still can't get a feel for any of these areas and the fear of making a mistake is paralyzing my decision today.

I've done some wild and wacky things in my life and always with a devil may care attitude. I left driving for California with only $20 in my pocket, hitched hiked 1000's of miles and some of it alone, lived in hippie communes, lived with indians in central america, I lived 3 months in a VW, 2 years out of a back pack and a dozen other ad hock of the wall trips where I lived for a while but for some reason this Miami move has me the most concerned.

I'm reminded of that line in the Batman movie Dark Night, when the Joker looks up at Batman and asks "What happened, did your balls fall off"?

Maybe they have, or maybe there is nothing to worry about, but it's a huge change among so many huge changes since the loss of my Mom and literally everything I hold dear is at stake. Knowing that, I feel I have to get "this" wacky one very right.

Old 10-13-2010, 07:25 PM

Tickets bought. We fly in the 20th, leave the evening of the 26th. That should give us plenty of time to cover the area and see what's really up over there. The plan is to come back to Dallas with a house rented in Florida.

My son's boss is very excited about having my son and my son is excited as well. They just need to get Dad on board. I better get that way in a hurry, the plan is to leave Dallas on Nov.2nd. He starts his new job on the 8th.

The downtown location changed where we can live, I think. We assumed it was going to be NMB, Doral, Hialeah so all our housing focus was north, but it's not now. We are getting various driving times from different people so we'll just have to drive it ourselves and see.

The first order of business now is to trip plan this first visit. Mix fun, food, work and get a house. Now I'm starting to get excited!

Old 10-13-2010, 09:39 PM

4,968 posts, read 10,194,475 times
Don't go to Hileah
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami