Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 05:00 AM

5 posts, read 7,361 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm seriously considering moving to Miami to attend Barry University Miami Shores campus for a graduate program in social work this spring. I've been reading through the messages on the board and I have a few questions that I'm really hoping you guys can help me with. I have read about the problems with traffic, lack of pleasant neighbors, body worship, consumerism, etc. and I think that I can cope with those things because I grew up in Long Island and apart from the traffic, it was pretty similar. I've read a few posts where people have described difficulty in making friends. I'm not really looking to make friends, the ones I have now are great and they travel frequently enough that I'd be fine with their visits. My concerns are more about lifestyle.

I've only visited Miami when I was in undergrad for the partying on South Beach. I enjoyed it then, but now in my late 20's, I can not at all imagine hanging on SB. Is there anything to do in the city besides party?

I guess I should tell you a little about myself so that you can determine if Miami and I would be a good match. I loathe the label but people typically describe me as an artsy, hipster type of girl. I'm a fan of underground and alternative music- preferably live, independent films, bookstores, lounges, plays and things of that nature. I like art galleries. I'd rather ride my bike than drive, but I of course can drive if I'm going somewhere far. I eat sushi like three days a week and I go to yoga twice a week. I prefer organic food and fresh vegetables so a farmer's market is always a plus. I tend to frequent book readings, lectures and such as well. Are there places, events, etc. that seem suited to my interests in Miami? Do you guys have an "art scene"? Are there fresh fruit/vegetable markets? Health-food stores?

Is there room for a girl like me in Miami? I'm not looking to settle in Miami forever. I plan on being there 2 years for school and then moving back to NY or California. I'm sorry this is so long it's just that you guys seem to be experts on Miami and I'm somewhat nervous about the transition. Do you think I could have a decent happy life there for two years?

Thanks for taking the time to read this. I welcome all comments, both pros and cons will be beneficial in helping me to make a decision.

Elle

Last edited by Maybe Moving 2 Miami; 10-22-2010 at 05:12 AM.. Reason: clarity
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2010, 05:07 AM

3,769 posts, read 8,799,123 times
Miami Beach - particularly South Beach sounds well suited to you. All of SB is not partying and shallow attitudes. I think you could really fit into the artsy, independent vibe of sections of SB.
My issue would be more about doing your graduate work at Barry - I would reconsider schools because of location and reputation.

Old 10-22-2010, 05:20 AM

4,968 posts, read 10,194,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maybe Moving 2 Miami View Post
I guess I should tell you a little about myself so that you can determine if Miami and I would be a good match. I loathe the label but people typically describe me as an artsy, hipster type of girl. I'm a fan of underground and alternative music- preferably live, independent films, bookstores, lounges, plays and things of that nature. I like art galleries. I'd rather ride my bike than drive, but I of course can drive if I'm going somewhere far. I eat sushi like three days a week and I go to yoga twice a week. I prefer organic food and fresh vegetables so a farmer's market is always a plus. I tend to frequent book readings, lectures and such as well. Are there places, events, etc. that seem suited to my interests in Miami? Do you guys have an "art scene"? Are there fresh fruit/vegetable markets? Health-food stores?

Elle
Wowwwwwwww, Miami is so not for you or anyone into the hipster/indie scene. You are better off in San Francisco or Brooklyn

I can identify myself with you though, I'm kindda looking for the same things. You won't find those things here, and if you get lucky you'll just end up seeing pale imitations of what you want.

I don't think anyone in this forum can tell or help you much (but me, of course).

On the food part, yes, we do have what you are looking for. ... but... man does not live of bread alone, he also needs entertainment

Old 10-22-2010, 05:23 AM

Default Thank You Still the Same!

Thanks so much for your quick response! Does Barry have a crappy reputation? They offered me a full scholarship which is the main reason for the consideration. My mentor said that their MSW is a ranked program and I kind of just trusted his word without further investigation. Does it really carry a bad reputation, like crappy to the point that I should refuse a scholarship? What is the general perception of the school? I did get accepted into other schools so if it's truly a bad school I do have other options.

Also, I really appreciate the information you offered about Miami beach. I had no idea that there was more to do in South Beach than party lol. How would I find out about the 'artsy independent sections' of SB?

Elle

Last edited by Maybe Moving 2 Miami; 10-22-2010 at 05:23 AM.. Reason: spelling errors

Old 10-22-2010, 05:28 AM

Default Thanks WINTERFRONT

I actually live in Brooklyn now Williamsburg, more specifically, home to all things hipster and indie lol. I really don't want to leave, except of course for San Francisco!!! This would be a two year move only then back here or to Cali.... although, after the two responses I've gotten, maybe I should scratch the idea of moving to Miami altogether.

Thanks for your advice and the information you shared.

Old 10-22-2010, 05:59 AM

4,968 posts, read 10,194,475 times
No probs

Hahahha Williamsburg, the Hipster mecca

Old 10-22-2010, 07:01 AM

415 posts, read 1,666,034 times
Quote:
Hi,

I'm seriously considering moving to Miami to attend Barry University Miami Shores campus for a graduate program in social work this spring. I've been reading through the messages on the board and I have a few questions that I'm really hoping you guys can help me with. I have read about the problems with traffic, lack of pleasant neighbors, body worship, consumerism, etc. and I think that I can cope with those things because I grew up in Long Island and apart from the traffic, it was pretty similar. I've read a few posts where people have described difficulty in making friends. I'm not really looking to make friends, the ones I have now are great and they travel frequently enough that I'd be fine with their visits. My concerns are more about lifestyle.

I've only visited Miami when I was in undergrad for the partying on South Beach. I enjoyed it then, but now in my late 20's, I can not at all imagine hanging on SB. Is there anything to do in the city besides party?

Is there room for a girl like me in Miami? I'm not looking to settle in Miami forever. I plan on being there 2 years for school and then moving back to NY or California. I'm sorry this is so long it's just that you guys seem to be experts on Miami and I'm somewhat nervous about the transition. Do you think I could have a decent happy life there for two years?

Thanks for taking the time to read this. I welcome all comments, both pros and cons will be beneficial in helping me to make a decision.

Elle
Elle,
Keep in mind that the greater Miami area has millions of people. You can find like-minded people who are into just about anything and everything you can imagine.

There is definitely a hipster/art scene in Miami, though it is much smaller and grittier than Brooklyn or SF. I'm sure in Williamsburg that everybody and their mother is a hipster, this won't be the case in Miami. I would check out the Design District and, if you are feeling adventurous, the Wynnwood Arts District. There are a lot of art galleries and interesting restauarants and bars in the those areas. I imagine you can get a good deal on a rental in that area too.

Old 10-22-2010, 11:08 AM

4,836 posts, read 12,005,791 times
Quote:
Thanks so much for your quick response! Does Barry have a crappy reputation? They offered me a full scholarship which is the main reason for the consideration. My mentor said that their MSW is a ranked program and I kind of just trusted his word without further investigation. Does it really carry a bad reputation, like crappy to the point that I should refuse a scholarship? What is the general perception of the school? I did get accepted into other schools so if it's truly a bad school I do have other options.

Also, I really appreciate the information you offered about Miami beach. I had no idea that there was more to do in South Beach than party lol. How would I find out about the 'artsy independent sections' of SB?

Elle
Barry's reputation for undergrad is horrible. Graduate I have no idea.

Old 10-22-2010, 11:12 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,419,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
Barry's reputation for undergrad is horrible. Graduate I have no idea.
the undergrad is bad except a few like Nursing (which im a graduate of), FIU isnt better. Not even UM

Old 10-22-2010, 11:34 AM

1,004 posts, read 2,771,652 times
Apparently the recent posters forgot that Miami metro consist of nearly 6 million unique individuals while Williams burg ( I think you stated as your current location) can not compare to any way in that sense. Miami metro would definitely be a great place for you, I myself relate to much of your interest also. Though of course west coast and northern east coast large cities may suit your interest better Miami could compete.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami