U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 09:47 AM

6,467 posts, read 13,035,990 times

Advertisements

^^^I wonder if Miami's location has something to do with that, we are the bottom of the state. It takes at least 6 hours to get out of the state by car. Many states if you drive 6 hours you can be in many different states or cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2010, 09:59 AM

2,940 posts, read 4,027,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patricemendo View Post
i don't know what to tell you - i was amazed at how little most people knew about the rest of the country.
Because it's information they don't need and they haven't been exposed to. Yes some people are below or above average, but most people just know Enough

for example, someone from another country would know where the USA is located, they would know we have black and white people. They wouldn't know we have different cultures(southern, Midwest , NE, pacific coast)

someone outside Texas probably would know there are a lot of mexicans there. What they woulnt know is that mexicans have different cultures depending on the region they come from and that they move to different cities depending on the region they come from. Well I don't know if the average white person would know that but I suppose the average Hispanic in Texas would.

someone living in another state would think Miami has more white people. Blame the media for that. Or someone that has never visited Miami and reads this forum would have a very different idea of Miami. Sometimes you get the wrong information, or the wrong impression if you didn't stay there long enough or the information could be outdated because cities change very quickly.

Old 11-02-2010, 11:14 AM

3,644 posts, read 3,630,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecofancy View Post
Or maybe i should have said SE as in southeast. Its basic geography, and we are talking about location. Does anyone listen or read news beyond their city? I find it a little surprising someone wouldn't know what PNW stands for in a thread talking about location, and then call it out like its some rare acronym. Maybe Miami is dumb...or maybe its reflecting of a country that doesn't teach geography to the youth.
If anyone would have said NW I would know it meant NorthWest. We don't say ASE (Atlantic SouthEast). We just say SouthEast. I mean, really, what other NorthWest is there? It's ALL the Pacific. You really don't need to say that.

Old 11-02-2010, 11:17 AM

3,644 posts, read 3,630,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WINTERFRONT View Post
Knowledge should be exclusive for those who can pay. The have-not's are to be kept in ignorance, for knowledge has its value.
What an idiotic response to what I wrote. Anyone else could tell my meaning but I'll explain it to you. By showing her son that she was willing to spend her own money on buying books she demonstrated that knowledge is important. Most people, espicially children, will value something more if it has been paid for rather than if it was free (and children are beyond understanding that 'free' in this case just means paid for indirectly through taxes. Come to think of it, some adults don't seem to get that concept either).

Old 11-02-2010, 12:34 PM

2,940 posts, read 4,027,258 times
^^^ I don't agree with that. Libraries were the best concept back in the day because things didn't change as rapidly and there were no other alternatives. I just think that due to technology people have better ways to get the most up to date information and timing is key now days. If a child is really interested in learning he won't care wheather that's his book or not, what matters is the content It's just that some people are stuck in the past and pretty soon printed media will be a thing of the past, so will be physical libraries unless they make them a place to have seminars or discussion groups.

In my opinion the best thing a society can do is provide educational opportunities to the disadvantaged. There are a lot of talented individuals that just need access to information but we need to approach this with a 21 century mindset.

Old 11-02-2010, 02:05 PM

372 posts, read 471,980 times
When I read PNW, I thought Panhandle Northwest. If you said "the" NW then Washington and Oregon would have popped in to my head.

Arlington, VA living in Miami, FL

Old 11-02-2010, 06:59 PM

1,208 posts, read 2,435,385 times
Default rotflmao !

Quote:
Originally Posted by amIayankee? View Post
When I read PNW, I thought Panhandle Northwest. If you said "the" NW then Washington and Oregon would have popped in to my head.

Arlington, VA living in Miami, FL
If you google PNW you will get Pacific North West NOT Panhandle Northwest

Old 11-02-2010, 08:21 PM

3,246 posts, read 4,135,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
^^^I wonder if Miami's location has something to do with that, we are the bottom of the state. It takes at least 6 hours to get out of the state by car. Many states if you drive 6 hours you can be in many different states or cities.
So should we really be saying the rest of FL is dumb and Miami isn't as smart as it should be because it's surrounded by the dumb people?

Old 11-02-2010, 08:36 PM

4,743 posts, read 4,837,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post
So should we really be saying the rest of FL is dumb and Miami isn't as smart as it should be because it's surrounded by the dumb people?
Miami is surrounded by water

u see now how dumb I am?

Old 11-02-2010, 08:38 PM

4,743 posts, read 4,837,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
What an idiotic response to what I wrote. Anyone else could tell my meaning but I'll explain it to you. By showing her son that she was willing to spend her own money on buying books she demonstrated that knowledge is important. Most people, espicially children, will value something more if it has been paid for rather than if it was free (and children are beyond understanding that 'free' in this case just means paid for indirectly through taxes. Come to think of it, some adults don't seem to get that concept either).
Glad to know you thought my post was idiotic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami