Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 03:41 PM

9 posts, read 18,662 times

Advertisements

Hey all

I've been on the forum for a while now, kind of new to posting though. I've done tons of research and going through other people's posts. I'm from Northern New Jersey and I've been to Miami and really liked what I saw. I like the way the city is laid out, the latin influence, how it's still America but doesn't seem like America in some areas. Overall I've done my research and am genuinely set on Miami

I went to school to fix trucks, large refrigeration units, and specifically diesel engines. I'm 21 and out of school, I've done everything from landscape to drive a tow truck at night, bus tables, baked in a bakery. I consider myself a hard worker willing to work long hours, crazy shifts, and in a fast paced environment.

Down To Business... I am really set on moving to south beach. Some things happened in my life and I feel a change of lifestyle, weather, surroundings and going somewhere where I have to work for what I want and not know anyone could be beneficial. I have plenty of money saved up, money isn't an issue, but I would like to find something simple in the heart of south beach for anywhere from 500-800 a month. I don't care how small or ratty or old it is, it's what I've been looking at and what suits my character and needs at this point

My question is- Is it possible to head down there, get a place, and live off of waiting tables or doing a job like that? What kind of wage can I expect with a job like that? Has anyone done this? I have plenty of money saved up but I'm looking to lay low, work hard, and enjoy being away from home for a bit. Anyone have any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2010, 10:41 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,474,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmine615 View Post
My question is- Is it possible to head down there, get a place, and live off of waiting tables or doing a job like that? What kind of wage can I expect with a job like that? Has anyone done this? I have plenty of money saved up but I'm looking to lay low, work hard, and enjoy being away from home for a bit. Anyone have any advice?
I totally believe that's possible cmine, because that's exactly what I did, albeit 20 years ago. I showed up in MIA one day at age 19, didn't know a soul. Had a credit card with a 2k limit - (prolly 5K today's $). I was prepared for a long haul, but instead to my delight I found a job and a place to stay the same day.

I lived on SoBe for $200 per month. I know prices have gone up a lot since then, but I'll bet you can find what you're looking for somewhere on the backstreets of Sobe - Jefferson, Michigan, etc. Try around Flamingo Park, that looks skanky enough to be low rent.

Chances are these sort of places generally won't be listed on the media sites - you have to walk the streets and look for FOR RENT signs. I already checked online sites and found a few that almost fit the bill - so I'm like 95% sure you will find what you're looking for if you hit the pavement.

Old 11-12-2010, 01:14 AM

I appreciate the input, Bostonian! That's a huge help and quite a boost of morale, considering this is my dream at this point in my life. Do you think one can support a lifestyle in south beach in a 650 a m/o studio by waiting tables and perhaps bartending? Do you mind me asking how you found work, and what you did back in the day on sobe?

Old 11-12-2010, 03:54 AM

26 posts, read 64,688 times
nice thread !

and I think it's possible too, such as quite everything in life if you really want it.

good luck from italy

Old 11-12-2010, 07:47 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,455,683 times
It is possible to find a place on South Beach for the OPs budget, it may be a tiny studio with no parking, etc. High Season is coming up (winter time) so you should be able to find some work as a waiter, I would just be a little worries come summer time fyi.

Old 11-12-2010, 10:31 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,419,597 times
i believe its possible. I dont know much about South Beach, but my friend rented 1k/month 1 bedroom at Washington Ave

Old 11-12-2010, 12:26 PM

Grazie T3NAX..my family hails from Abruzzo.

I'm hoping to get down there just right after new years, I should have everything squared away by then. Parking isn't a problem, I picked south beach because I love the area and it seems like compared to the rest of the metro area, the best area for someone who doesn't mind footin it everywhere. I will have a car though, and I do remember the hell it was to try to find parking....but as with everything else in my life right now, "whatever"

It'd be great to score a job bussing/waiting tables or bartending and while I'm down there, I can find something a little better or stable for when WMC and summer comes along

What sort of more stable jobs are located in sobe? Granted, I went to school to fix marine application diesel engines, diesel yacht/fishing boats/etc, all the same basic principal as a diesel in a truck and a generator though. I certainly don't expect to find anything like that in SoBe though. What else could I find that would pay the bills a little easier and be more stable throughout the whole year?

Old 11-12-2010, 12:45 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,562,354 times
cmine there is plenty of work in the field that you studied in SE Florida and probably pays a lot better than waiting tables! Why don't you look for a job in the field you were trained instead? The boating industry is huge here!

Old 11-12-2010, 01:11 PM
r_k

836 posts, read 2,189,878 times
I agree with MiamiRob. Focus on getting a job in your field first, then worry about where to live.

Old 11-12-2010, 01:47 PM

911 posts, read 1,713,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmine615 View Post
I would like to find something simple in the heart of south beach for anywhere from 500-800 a month. I don't care how small or ratty or old it is, it's what I've been looking at and what suits my character and needs at this point

My question is- Is it possible to head down there, get a place, and live off of waiting tables or doing a job like that?
I just went though this. You may want to come right now but you have to pay the bills here. At minimum I would set up some phone interviews in your field before you got here, then prepare to sock some cash back and be smart about your money for a while. That doesn't mean you can't have fun.

We just looked at places in Sobe two weeks ago. Small and ratty for the price is the going rate but it's cool. Many over there your age are living small and ratty too most likely. They live there because Sobe is cool and of course it is.

You'll have to be here to rent most likely. Drive the neighborhoods and call off signs. Many of those places don't post ads and Realtor.com won't have those places either. The rent is so low most realtors won't help you anyway.

Come on it's great, just be smart about it and live cheap. Spend your extra money on fun and your extra time on the beach and babes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami