Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 01:24 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,134,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmlacysr View Post
Yes you did and I appreciated your help. Here's the story on our move. We came here as you know, then put in an application on a place we found in Surfside. We heard dogs barking in the same building so we went back to Dallas thinking dogs were fine. Come to find out, they didn't accept dogs and the landlord was going to make the residents get rid of the dogs we heard. At that point we are 1250 miles away from Miami and my son had to start his job here in 7 days.

We had to pack and move to Miami to start his job asap so rented a place online not really knowing the area and that's how we ended up here. It was sold to us as upper east side and when I googled it, Upper East side it seemed ok.

So, Surfside and walk to the beach from Harding Ave was our first choice of lifestyles, but instead we ended up landing here.

It is what it is and we'll deal with it until we can move. We have a very nice place here, but not the ideal area. That doesn't negate some of the other issues I have with living in Miami as I've stated, but might make them a bit more palatable if we were actually living the lifestyle we originally intended. Basically we screwed up.
I don't know if you remember me, you argued with me quite a bit when you were visiting Miami. I tried to warn you...and it seems as if you deliberately did everything that was not advised...and now you dislike Miami. You were told on here where to go, where not to go, and you went exactly where it was not advised. You could have asked anyone one here about a specific addy if you hadn't actually been there...so I am having a hard time feeling any compassion for your situation at this point. I think your series of posts illustrates how people put their head in the sand and ignore whatever inconvenient truths are out there and only listen to enablers, realtors and other newbies...and this is what happens. The writing was on the wall from the beginning, if only you had taken the time to read it.

Miami is just as you see it now. I don't see things improving dramatically for you unless you open your mind, re-adjust expectations and mold a new attitude on life and other people's idea. Try to make friends, that will be very important in dealing with atrocious customer service or lack there of. They will be able to point you to somewhat reputable service providers and will be a place to vent in addition to here.

Miami is not what it is cracked up to be, so you have to re evaluate your expectations and consider if you can still be happy here and what you need to do in order to make that happen. The city won't change, so you will have to. It's your sanity on the line...

Old 12-16-2010, 01:52 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,363,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelito23 View Post
I don't know if you remember me, you argued with me quite a bit when you were visiting Miami. I tried to warn you...and it seems as if you deliberately did everything that was not advised...and now you dislike Miami. You were told on here where to go, where not to go, and you went exactly where it was not advised. You could have asked anyone one here about a specific addy if you hadn't actually been there...so I am having a hard time feeling any compassion for your situation at this point. I think your series of posts illustrates how people put their head in the sand and ignore whatever inconvenient truths are out there and only listen to enablers, realtors and other newbies...and this is what happens. The writing was on the wall from the beginning, if only you had taken the time to read it.

Miami is just as you see it now. I don't see things improving dramatically for you unless you open your mind, re-adjust expectations and mold a new attitude on life and other people's idea. Try to make friends, that will be very important in dealing with atrocious customer service or lack there of. They will be able to point you to somewhat reputable service providers and will be a place to vent in addition to here.

Miami is not what it is cracked up to be, so you have to re evaluate your expectations and consider if you can still be happy here and what you need to do in order to make that happen. The city won't change, so you will have to. It's your sanity on the line...
"Try to make friends, that will be very important in dealing with atrocious customer service or lack there of".

What does making friends and poor customer service have to do with each other? Nothing, at all in my estimation. If a person has a **** poor attitude at their job, no amount of "hey buddies" and hi fives is going to change that. You shouldn't have to bribe people with kindness for them to do their job.

Old 12-16-2010, 02:18 PM

932 posts, read 1,177,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
"Try to make friends, that will be very important in dealing with atrocious customer service or lack there of".

What does making friends and poor customer service have to do with each other? Nothing, at all in my estimation. If a person has a **** poor attitude at their job, no amount of "hey buddies" and hi fives is going to change that. You shouldn't have to bribe people with kindness for them to do their job.
I think Chelito was just trying to recommend that JM tried to make friends so that those friends could point him to more reputable providers (e.g. mechanics). Miami is all about who you know and had it not been for a friend of ours recommending a good vet when our dog got sick, we'd probably have been fleeced as there are so many shady animal clinics down here.

Old 12-16-2010, 02:23 PM

1,062 posts, read 2,251,500 times
JM,

How long has it been that you moved here, 6 weeks or so? I am guessing based on some of your previous posts. Well, it seems from people that I know and experienced moves, right around the 6 week or 2 month mark is when they either start questioning their move, or are glad they did move.

Just last year I had a young nephew move to Miami from NJ. He was 22 or 23 and has been wanting to move to Miami for a while. Being that he wasn't prepared to have his own place yet but was going to within 3-6 months, we let him stay with us rent free. He came ready to start his new job and did within a few days of moving here. Within the 1st month I asked him a few times how he liked it here in Miami so far and did he miss home. Each time he told me that he really liked it here, liked his job, and was eventually ready to get his own place in a few months. Well, about 6 weeks of being down here he informed me that he was thinking of moving back to NJ. He even told his boss at work. His boss told him to stick it out that he will get over this feeling. About 2 weeks later he quit his job, and within a few days after quitting his job he was on I-95 north headed back to NJ.

He came to the conclusion that Miami wasn't everything he hoped it would be. Keep in mind that he has been down here before a few times including a week before moving which was when he landed his job. He was also starting to miss his family and friends back home. Even though he went out and hit the nightlife a few times, it seems as if the novelty of Miami wore out. Bottom line, after about 5-6 weeks he began to see Miami for what it really is as well as missing NJ.

Conclusion, many people come here with a view and opinion of Miami after just visiting for a few days or a week and see it from a tourist perspective. Once some of those people see how it really is on a day to day basis, their views of Miami changes quickly.

Old 12-16-2010, 02:28 PM

932 posts, read 1,177,247 times
As a city, Miami is personified by many of its residents, for example a lot of the hot-ass women you see in Brickell or South Beach. Nice to look at, but try to get to know these people and you soon realize that they're ugly on the inside, or just have little in the way of personality, brains or substance to make them worthy of anything more than a quick shag. Same goes for Miami itself; once you're through with the beach, the clubs and bars and the dense skyline, you're not really left with a whole lot, other than the day-to-day problems and the stress caused by living among so many highly strung and ultra-aggressive people.

If Miami were a person, she would be Kim Kardashian. I guess you could take that as either an insult or a component and I suspect that many Miamians would take it as a compliment, due to the high # of Kim clones you see here.

Old 12-16-2010, 02:32 PM

1,062 posts, read 2,251,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glasvegas View Post
As a city, Miami is personified by many of its residents, for example a lot of the hot-ass women you see in Brickell or South Beach. Nice to look at, but try to get to know these people and you soon realize that they're ugly on the inside, or just have little in the way of personality, brains or substance to make them worthy of anything more than a quick shag. Same goes for Miami itself; once you're through with the beach, the clubs and bars and the dense skyline, you're not really left with a whole lot, other than the day-to-day problems and the stress caused by living among so many highly strung and ultra-aggressive people.

If Miami were a person, she would be Kim Kardashian.
Well stated! Especially the "hot-ass women" part.

Old 12-16-2010, 02:35 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,363,340 times
Quote:
I think Chelito was just trying to recommend that JM tried to make friends so that those friends could point him to more reputable providers (e.g. mechanics). Miami is all about who you know and had it not been for a friend of ours recommending a good vet when our dog got sick, we'd probably have been fleeced as there are so many shady animal clinics down here.
Ah, well then. In that case I agree. Carry on.

Old 12-16-2010, 02:58 PM

911 posts, read 1,713,208 times
I'm not the OP or a Miami hater. My name was mentioned in the original post and thought I'd give my perspective. I tell it the way I see it. Your experiences may be different.

I just asked the guy at the grocery store if he knew a plumber. He said ask anyone, everybody is a plumber or anything else you need. People take on jobs here hoping they can pull it off rather than actually knowing what they are doing. Seems about right to me.

I spoke with the owner of my property today. He lives in California. He expressed the same amount of frustration trying to get anything done in Miami. Not just my business but trying to find anyone reliable in the past. Maybe it's just us Texas and Cali guys that seem to have a problem and everyone else has a near perfect experience.

Let me tell you how bad it is from my perspective. My long time business model requires a deposit of 50% before I lock the date, then I'm paid in full 30 days prior to doing any work at all. That is considered industry standard across the country for my line of work. In Miami, I have to try and convince someone I'll actually show up. That's a Miami thing and of course I'll show up not because I'm paid but because people are counting on me.

Sorry, I don't understand the work ethic here but all the shady make us legit guys have to work harder. The good news is, show up and do your job and you're likely to find a Pearl in your Miami Oyster.

Yes, there were some unexpected challenges moving to Miami that I could not have anticipated. Yes, I have clearly made some mistakes and I own those. If my first year in Miami would have been significantly different if I lived in another area I don't know. All I do know is what I think today past the shock and awe stage and while in Lemon City I should be making Lemonade.

Old 12-16-2010, 03:16 PM

888 posts, read 886,234 times
Quote:
...a lot of the hot-ass women you see in Brickell or South Beach. Nice to look at, but try to get to know these people and you soon realize that they're ugly on the inside, or just have little in the way of personality, brains or substance to make them worthy of anything more than a quick shag...
OK, so that's why you don't like Miami.
You tried to hit on the girls and they snubbed you.
Why am I not surprised?
The truth comes out.

Actually I know quite a few girls living in Brickell, and they have intelligence to go along with their sex appeal.
One of them happens to be my GF and a few others happen to be the friends of my GF.
I wouldn't be surprised if one of them snubbed you.
Did you even attempt a few words in Spanish?

These threads are useless.

OK, everyone carry-on with your hate-fest critiques of Miami people and culture. I'm going to go live the real world now.

Old 12-16-2010, 03:28 PM

415 posts, read 1,666,034 times
JM, I briefly followed the threads you started over the past couple of months. The one thing that really jumps out at me is the fact you have dogs. Unfortunately (and I love dogs) this limits where you can live to a certain extent. Your experience would be different if you lived in a highrise in downtown or brickell. You definitely would be surrounded by a different type of person.

Heck, even if you lived in an older place on south beach, you would of met some cool guys with better attitudes. It's never fun living in the 'hood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami