U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 10:50 AM

3 posts, read 5,849 times
Default Physician moving to Miami Beach

I recently completed my medical residency and am seriously considering a move to Miami Beach. I have offers of 200-300K at nearby hospitals, and slightly less in the Los Angeles area (which I'm also considering). I don't speak Spanish, but am willing to learn.

I am looking to settle down in one of these locations long-term so that I can build a client base for a future practice. I am a 31 year old single male, and I want to be married by the time I'm around 40; will I have trouble finding educated/well-off full-time Miami/Miami Beach residents looking to settle down?

I've only visited Miami Beach as a tourist; but I don't mind the summer heat, and absolutely love the tropical scenery, water, and beautiful women. Do parts of LA even compare to Miami Beach's scenery (Beverly Hills, Bel Air, etc), and are they as affordable? Please, any suggestions would really help me out. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2010, 08:27 PM

200 posts, read 442,474 times
If you want to live around real young lawyers and physicians, and other professionals like yourself in Miami move to Brickell. Brickell is filled with young people who are professional and is perhaps the highest educated area in south Florida. It is very upscale and has great nightlife. Miami Beach is just for tourists, Brickell has more local people. The zip code for brickell is 33131.Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 01-03-2011 at 06:58 AM..

Old 12-16-2010, 08:53 PM

931 posts, read 825,535 times
Agree go to Brickell. Which hospital are u going to work for?

Old 12-16-2010, 08:58 PM

4,160 posts, read 4,399,615 times
I only spent a week in LA, but IMO Miami is definitely prettier. A lot of LA's fab stuff is behind huge hedgerows so you don't really see it. Rodeo Drive was a huge disappointment but Beverly Hills is fab albeit way smaller than I expected. LA is definitely more expensive. Miami's water is warm, LA is cold. LA is a lot dirtier than MIA. I found Venice Beach scuzzy. The graffiti is a shame. However certainly LA is a far more interesting, diverse, and robust locale. MIA is great - one of my favorite cities. There's no UCLA in SoFla. And hobnobbing with the whole Hollywood scene is an asset one must strongly consider considering you have the money. I have friends who buy walk on parts in major motion pictures just for fun. The depth of LA is hard to beat. Miami doesn't have that. Miami is about the beach - the party - it's a resort -world class of course - it was built to be that and that's what it is. I think the excitement for a high earner in MIA would be the access to the Caribbean culture as well as the doorway to everywhere South - el mundo en Espanol.

Both cities are extremely cool. Miami is more one dimensional, but Miami is cleaner, all around more beautiful. Miami will keep you out of the car better than LA if not spending 1/10 of your life in traffic matters to you. Living in SoBe I skated to work as often as I drove. Oh and about finding a woman - methinks you'll have to try to not be found. There's no avoiding them, and they are hot. The problem will not be finding them, it will be dealing with them. My experience was they seemed to love drama and controversy. Anyways - that's my two cents.

Old 12-17-2010, 06:18 AM

Thanks for the help! ace57: I'm leaning towards Mt. Sinai since it's close by, but I'm not sure yet. The only reason I would move anywhere other than Miami/Beach is if the majority of people I will encounter/socialize with in Miami are mostly transient or un-educated/low-income. Brickell sounds great for now, but in the next 5-10 years I'm hoping to purchase a house. In that case, would the neighborhoods in Miami Beach be acceptable for a full-time resident? I would also consider the Las Olas area of Ft Lauderdale if it suits me better, but it seemed more dead and less vibrant than Miami Beach when I visited (correct me if I'm missing something). The suggestions are helpful, any more would really be appreciated!

Old 12-17-2010, 08:08 AM

6,426 posts, read 12,751,179 times
Miami Beach can be an acceptable area for a a full time resident looking to be close to night life and restaurants., The further north of South Beach one gets you can find some pretty nice redone homes. Obviously any of the condos in South Beach could be a great place to live, just depends on what your lifestyle is. Las Olas is pretty cool the Victoria Park area is pretty nice, much more of a residential layed back area in my opinion.

Old 12-18-2010, 02:33 PM

931 posts, read 825,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde45 View Post
Thanks for the help! ace57: I'm leaning towards Mt. Sinai since it's close by, but I'm not sure yet. The only reason I would move anywhere other than Miami/Beach is if the majority of people I will encounter/socialize with in Miami are mostly transient or un-educated/low-income. Brickell sounds great for now, but in the next 5-10 years I'm hoping to purchase a house. In that case, would the neighborhoods in Miami Beach be acceptable for a full-time resident? I would also consider the Las Olas area of Ft Lauderdale if it suits me better, but it seemed more dead and less vibrant than Miami Beach when I visited (correct me if I'm missing something). The suggestions are helpful, any more would really be appreciated!
if you work at Mt. Sinai and live in Miami Beach, youre commute will be a breeze just by Alton Road. Also Miami Beach gets packed on certain times like Friday afternoon weekends etc. But yes if youre looking for a vibrant community and near a big hospital like mt sinai and ill say yes Miami Beach. you can get by with little spanish.

Old 12-18-2010, 07:20 PM

Thanks. How does Aqua at Allison Island compare to apartments on Brickell Key, in terms of convenience and young professionals to socialize with?

Old 12-20-2010, 10:06 AM

749 posts, read 964,310 times
Clyde45: I wish you luck in whatever you decide. I happen to like both places. Although, I've only been to Miami as a tourist and on a few business trips.

It goes without saying that Los Angeles and Miami share some similarities (warm climates, influence of hispanic/latino culture, and quite frankly a degree of materialism in SOME of the population, etc.).

That said, there are clear differences between both places, as other posters have already delineated pretty well. University of Miami has a good medicial school from what I've heard. But LA has two top medical schools in one city: UCLA and USC with all the research facilities that go with that.

Miami Beach clearly has a tropical-like atmosphere which Los Angeles does not have. By contrast, LA has a "mediterranean" climate and topography similar to the south of France or coastal Italy. So I give Miami the edge if you prefer warm beaches but I give LA the edge if want a variety of landscapes (which include some pretty dramatic seascapes too).

With all due respect to Miami which is a city I like very much, you'll never find anything close to these views in the entire state of Florida. These are shots taken from the Century City district of Los Angeles. There is PLENTY of beautiful scenery in Los Angeles to rival Miami's beautiful coast....it's just different.

Century City looking east to the Hollywood Hills, San Gabriel Mtns in distance (note the Hollywood sign near the center).

Century City looking north to the Santa Monica Mountains (Beverly Hills, Bel-Air, Holmby Hills)

Old 12-20-2010, 10:30 AM

749 posts, read 964,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde45 View Post

I've only visited Miami Beach as a tourist; but I don't mind the summer heat, and absolutely love the tropical scenery, water, and beautiful women. Do parts of LA even compare to Miami Beach's scenery (Beverly Hills, Bel Air, etc), and are they as affordable? Please, any suggestions would really help me out. Thanks!
I already responded to the scenery question...both are good, just different.

No question your money will go farther in Miami than Los Angeles, esp. given your salary offer for Miami is higher.

On a house price comparison....Miami is definitely cheaper. Granted both places are expensive compared to national averages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami