Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 01:36 PM

2 posts, read 2,038 times

Advertisements

I am looking at a career opportunity located near the Miami International Airport. The company is Aeroturbine.

I am not familiar with Miami whatsoever and I am very hesitant to live there. I currently live in southern Missouri in a somewhat rural area. I am not scared of living in a big city. I've traveled all over the country and the world with the military, including Iraq. But I am curious as to living expenses, etc. Not to mention the potential culture shock. Going from a rural Midwestern town to Miami is a big change.

I will have to buy a home that is in the $140k range. The company starts at $50,000 (approximately). I also have a wife and a daughter. I am willing to drive 30-40 minutes to work every day to keep us from having to live deep in the city. I want a nice quite community with good schools and no crime. I don't want to deal with a bunch of thugs every day. I don't have the patience nor will I let anyone mess with my family without consequences. So a nice suburb or town is what I am looking for.

They say the salary will double with 12 to 18 months. So, that's why I am interested. Plus, I have an aviation background and a degree. So this opportunity is a great fit for me. I just don't know how well we will fair in Miami.

Any advice and info would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2010, 01:59 PM

3,769 posts, read 8,796,320 times
Dont move.
If its not a multinational with an excellent reputation - I would not put any stock in a promise to have my salary doubled - especially from a Miami company.
For $140,000 you are not likely to get a great community with great schools.
$50k is not alot for a family in Miami (high COL)
BIG CULTURE SHOCK - spend a bit of time on this board and believe what you read.
A 20-30 minute commute in the airport area can be as little as 5 miles (and for those of you who doubt - mid day I took a 12 mile drive in the Doral area that took 90 minutes - that is ridiculous!!!).

Do not move.

Old 12-20-2010, 02:03 PM

2 posts, read 2,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StilltheSame View Post
Dont move.
If its not a multinational with an excellent reputation - I would not put any stock in a promise to have my salary doubled - especially from a Miami company.
For $140,000 you are not likely to get a great community with great schools.
$50k is not alot for a family in Miami (high COL)
BIG CULTURE SHOCK - spend a bit of time on this board and believe what you read.
A 20-30 minute commute in the airport area can be as little as 5 miles (and for those of you who doubt - mid day I took a 12 mile drive in the Doral area that took 90 minutes - that is ridiculous!!!).

Do not move.
Well, they have lots of big clients. Boeing and AirBus just to name a couple. I'd be selling/leasing aircraft engines and parts.

Yeah, definitely not liking the possible commute trouble.

Old 12-20-2010, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest2010 View Post
Well, they have lots of big clients. Boeing and AirBus just to name a couple. I'd be selling/leasing aircraft engines and parts.

Yeah, definitely not liking the possible commute trouble.

At a minimum get some information/interviews from current employees who hold the position that you are applying for. Being a large, reputable company and doing work or having contracts with large reputable companies are 2 VERY different things. I just took a quick look at their website and I would be very cautious. But then I refused a position with Lennar so I am very conservative.

Old 12-20-2010, 02:39 PM

932 posts, read 1,176,968 times
Stillthesame is right - don't do it. From what you've said in your post, I think it'd be a big mistake and unfair on you and your family. For $150k you won't get much of a house here, UNLESS you want to live in the depths of West Kendall or Homestead, dealing with a hellish commute and the ghetto/thug mentality (especially in Homestead).

Also, unless your wife is working too, you guys will struggle anyway in Miami on a salary of $50k alone. Miami is deceptively expensive, especially when it comes to running a car (insurance and repairs), groceries and homeowners insurance. Your wife would basically have to work and depending on her skills, it may not be easy in a city with a 13% unemployment rate and a heavy emphasis on being fluent in Spanish for many jobs.

I don't know you, but you don't seem like the "Miami type" and I think you'd be very unhappy here, just as so many others are who have no tolerance for the excess BS and stress associated with living here, which cannot be excused as just normal "big city" type stress.

I would stay where you are - better job market, better for your kids. You've said enough in your posts to indicate that Miami wouldn't really be suitable for you or your family, unless there is a specific thing that draws you here (e.g. friends, family, the need to be in a year round climate).

Last edited by Glasvegas; 12-20-2010 at 02:54 PM..

Old 12-20-2010, 07:21 PM

415 posts, read 1,665,604 times
I know exactly where that is at. You can live in West Miramar or West Pembroke Pine and commute down I-75 to the Turnpike and get off at 41st St. I would rent a place for the first year in the areas I just mentioned to see if you like it and get a lay of the land. 140k won't buy you too much.. maybe a 3/2 townhouse in that area.

Old 12-20-2010, 07:50 PM

535 posts, read 1,410,558 times
Just don't move, you won't like it here. It will be a huge cultural shock. Living here is different than vacationing... Do you speak Spanish? 98% of employers require fluent Spanish...

Old 12-20-2010, 11:43 PM

1,946 posts, read 5,382,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina1686 View Post
Just don't move, you won't like it here. It will be a huge cultural shock. Living here is different than vacationing... Do you speak Spanish? 98% of employers require fluent Spanish...
Man, I sure know a lot of people who work for the 2% that don't then...

Old 12-21-2010, 04:38 AM

749 posts, read 1,862,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina1686 View Post
I am not a local but that smacks of big time exaggeration.

To the OP, good luck to you. I wouldn't take every "fact" you read on C-D as the truth.

I don't doubt you are getting some good advice in this thread but read with caution......

Old 12-21-2010, 04:57 AM

You do not have to speak Spanish to live and work in Miami. You may feel isolated in certain areas and circumstances - because there are large numbers of Spanish speakers who converse in Spanish and it does result in feeling isolated if you do not understand the conversation - but speaking Spanish as a necessity - absolutely not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami