U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 01-06-2011, 04:03 PM

911 posts, read 772,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Newman View Post

Tell us how you really feel ???? I hope you can get out before you go postal ... good luck .
I would Rock, but I'd probably get banned for being politically incorrect. I'm getting sick of the Cuban arrogance and would like to be able to shop without speaking Spanish. You really need to speak Spanish here unless you're satisfied with the locals speaking only a few words of English. Hell, I get around people who speak English and can't stop talking.

I was on 79th the other day headed east bound and there was some moron in a Nissan flying over the causeway headed away from Miami beach. He must have been doing 80mph or more and when I saw him I thought just another Miami idiot and he might not make that turn, sure enough he made the turn, but took out a street sign on his way. I got close enough to see he was alright, he just started his car up and drove off with two flat tires and a totaled newish car. So Miami...

We went to the dentist, the dentist came out and told us how much he spent on dental school in defense of his prices before we even asked price. He went on an on about how good he was and why we should use him and not someone else. It's not our fault he wanted to be a dentist and we don't care what it cost him.

He was the same guy that insisted we have a 2nd root canal on my son's front tooth. First he took an xray, said the tooth was broken off at the gum line and it would need a post. Then after he got my son in the chair he said it had a post in it already. If he was all that, he would have known it was a post not a tooth in the first place. Then he insisted we do another root canal. This was a tooth already with a post, so it already had a root canal on it but my son was in the chair with no front tooth. He had us and he knew it so we got another root canal on a tooth that didn't need one. So not only was the guy arrogant and pompous, but didn't read the xray and then tried to add fees unnecessarily. This btw, was one of those $1500.00 per crown dentists here in Miami, not some guy off craigslist. Miami's uh...finest....

People here must take us for stupid and I hate people trying to take advantage of us. It's "all" starting to grade on my nerves here now and we need to and will get out.

Unread 01-06-2011, 04:04 PM

3,163 posts, read 3,429,674 times
Quote:
Some people have a black cloud over them ... in all honesty I have had a couple of road rage incidents in Miami due to neanderthal drivers ... but I cannot relate to the other stuff that has happened to the OP .. I guess I have been lucky ?
Add me to the lucky ones, I suppose.

I've had road rage here in VA as well. One guy got out of his car while I was at the mall and started screaming like a maniac and coming towards me. Another time, not so long ago, a nutty woman followed me... I had to call the police, turn around and head to the station. A police was found along the way and she continued on, thankfully.

Unread 01-06-2011, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmlacysr View Post

People here must take us for stupid and I hate people trying to take advantage of us. It's "all" starting to grade on my nerves here now and we need to and will get out.
YOU'RE LETTING THEM!!!

If everything you say is indeed true, then the problem is you. You need to stand up for yourself and not take any crap. Do not let people take advantage of you! If you lay down they'll walk all over you. This isn't a Miami thing, this is a HUMAN thing. Weaker people never succeed and your getting dumped on is something you need to take charge of.

Unread 01-06-2011, 04:11 PM

6,582 posts, read 9,694,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post
I thought he was going to cut in front of you.

I hate to break it to you, but that really wasn't "bad, bad, shame, the worst in the world" driving.

I think I'll take my camera out and do some video of my own here in VA... maybe that will give some perspective.

You obviously have terrible luck, are not going to the right places, or the problem very well could be you.

I've never had, anywhere I've been, anything like the things you've talked about happen to me and that includes Miami.
how long have you been living in miami?

Unread 01-06-2011, 04:12 PM

2,113 posts, read 2,651,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmlacysr View Post
I would Rock, but I'd probably get banned for being politically incorrect. I'm getting sick of the Cuban arrogance and would like to be able to shop without speaking Spanish. You really need to speak Spanish here unless you're satisfied with the locals speaking only a few words of English. Hell, I get around people who speak English and can't stop talking.

I was on 79th the other day headed east bound and there was some moron in a Nissan flying over the causeway headed away from Miami beach. He must have been doing 80mph or more and when I saw him I thought just another Miami idiot and he might not make that turn, sure enough he made the turn, but took out a street sign on his way. I got close enough to see he was alright, he just started his car up and drove off with two flat tires and a totaled newish car. So Miami...

We went to the dentist, the dentist came out and told us how much he spent on dental school in defense of his prices before we even asked price. He went on an on about how good he was and why we should use him and not someone else. It's not our fault he wanted to be a dentist and we don't care what it cost him.

He was the same guy that insisted we have a 2nd root canal on my son's front tooth. First he took an xray, said the tooth was broken off at the gum line and it would need a post. Then after he got my son in the chair he said it had a post in it already. If he was all that, he would have known it was a post not a tooth in the first place. Then he insisted we do another root canal. This was a tooth already with a post, so it already had a root canal on it but my son was in the chair with no front tooth. He had us and he knew it so we got another root canal on a tooth that didn't need one. So not only was the guy arrogant and pompous, but didn't read the xray and then tried to add fees unnecessarily. This btw, was one of those $1500.00 per crown dentists here in Miami, not some guy off craigslist. Miami's uh...finest....

Have you looked up in Broward County , parts of Palm Beach or Martin Counties ... a whole other world and in English 90% of the time ... we have some friends in Cooper City who moved there three years ago from Rhode Island and they love it ... ditto Weston , West Davie , Plantation Parkland and Palm Beach Gardens .. do not censor all of South Florida because of Miami . In fact Weston was 50% Hispanic and they were some of the friendliest , most professional people we have met during our time in South Florida .. don't give up on South Florida or Florida in general because you have had bad luck in Miami .

Unread 01-06-2011, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
how long have you been living in miami?
I've stayed in Miami many weeks, I'm narrowing down my building search. I'll be in town, tentatively, again in March.

Unread 01-06-2011, 04:18 PM

934 posts, read 397,896 times
Quote:
I've stayed in Miami many weeks, I'm narrowing down my building search. I'll be in town, tentatively, again in March.
So you haven't actually lived here? Or not for many years?

Unread 01-06-2011, 04:23 PM

Just what I said

I've "lived" in Miami for a few months when you add the weeks together. As I've said before, I'm currently searching for the right building for me, and since it is a buyers market, I'm in no rush. I concentrated on Brickell for a long time and just last year took a look around other areas, learned more and did a lot of exploring. I'm still sold on the CBD cores.

I vacationed in FTL for years and only when the building boom started did I seriously consider Miami. I love high rise buildings, but prior to the boom, there weren't many new complexes to choose from.

Unread 01-06-2011, 04:29 PM

6,582 posts, read 9,694,739 times
Quote:
Ah ok, thats is sorta what I thought.

Unread 01-06-2011, 04:34 PM

4,713 posts, read 4,086,617 times
Quote:
Have you looked up in Broward County , parts of Palm Beach or Martin Counties ... a whole other world and in English 90% of the time ... we have some friends in Cooper City who moved there three years ago from Rhode Island and they love it ... ditto Weston , West Davie , Plantation Parkland and Palm Beach Gardens .. do not censor all of South Florida because of Miami . In fact Weston was 50% Hispanic and they were some of the friendliest , most professional people we have met during our time in South Florida .. don't give up on South Florida or Florida in general because you have had bad luck in Miami .
Rock, it looks that's your every day prayer. Seriously

South Florida is the same thing, no matter if you are in Key West or Jupiter. Same climate, same suburban structure, architecture, same highways, same car oriented people (yes people) and mostly everyone speaks english, be it fluent or not. Maybe for you ,"Americans" , picking up the differences is far more easier, I dunno. After all, here is where I learned how to differentiate water over water ( ridiculous)

Plus, why do you, so badly, want them to stay in SFL?

Let's both, for a moment, agree that Miami is far different from Broward, and that compared to Dade, Broward (or Martin, PLmB... you choose), is exactly like any other Floridian county - Very American. I'm willing to fake that agreement for the sake of this argument.

If Broward is that American, then what would be the difference between living in Broward or any other Floridan county? Why would you want them to stay in a place exactly like any other place in this state? It wouldn't make any sense to prefer point A over point B if both are exactly the same, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami