U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-12-2011, 09:52 AM

4,732 posts, read 4,405,396 times
We have projects in Florida?

Old 01-12-2011, 10:10 AM

163 posts, read 141,495 times
Go to key biscayne...no panhandlers, no sketchy people, beautiful beach which is deserted in the winter.

Old 01-15-2011, 08:06 AM

911 posts, read 821,102 times
I spent the day on my scooter and walking in Brickell yesterday. Sobe attitude and prices and saw a few people wearing a necktie. I heard more honking from there than any other place in the city, almost melodic. Less homeless/dodgy there by a factor of six. Daytime.

I spoke with a lady walking a large dog about renting in Brickell and she said anything under 25 lbs is doable, but over 25 very hard, and that's what I found all over Miami. Miami rentals are not large dog friendly and one reason we live where we live.

I went to Sunrise, Coconut Creek, Tamrac, Coral Springs and Wilton Manors this week to see what was there. Uh... thanks, but no.

So, I think I've decided to "wait" and try to adjust my attitude about Miami.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRMogDrHnMQ

I'm working on my "I love Miami list" though I admit to feeling a bit like Pavlov's dog.

I think you really have to want the things that Miami has to offer more than the conveniences of predictability and civility. I think you have to trade professionalism for weather, and beaches.

I think you have to accept the fact it's likely to be more expensive and more emotionally demanding than from where you're accustomed. I think you need a different mindset here and be able to laugh off the unimaginable. I can't change the things I hate about Miami, but I can try to change how I react to them and that's the solution I have for today.

Maybe I just had a rash of bad luck, maybe I made some wrong choices, maybe I just ran into the wrong people. I was thinking yesterday how much we lowered our standard of living coming here and questioned if it was worth it.

We came here for one reason and one reason only, the water. It's been too cold to enjoy the only reason we came here and maybe it will be worth the wait. There had better be some awesome times ahead, or the juice needed to live here simply won't be worth the squeeze.

We're staying for now.

Old 01-16-2011, 11:18 AM

5,925 posts, read 3,502,125 times
"I spent the day on my scooter and walking in Brickell yesterday. Sobe attitude and prices and saw a few people wearing a necktie. I heard more honking from there than any other place in the city, almost melodic. Less homeless/dodgy there by a factor of six. Daytime.

I spoke with a lady walking a large dog about renting in Brickell and she said anything under 25 lbs is doable, but over 25 very hard, and that's what I found all over Miami. Miami rentals are not large dog friendly and one reason we live where we live."

The attitude is by a few who live here (Brickell), but mostly from those who do not, but want to pretend they do for the effect. The public parking is not filled from those who live here, they walk to where they need to go. Prices, yes they are high, but it keeps the riff raff out of the place, if prices were low, Brickell would be no different than other places in Miami. Plus, you can still score cheap drinks and deals, just need to know when and where.

As far as dogs, yes, but many people flat out have large dogs and no one cares, it depends what Condo you live in. I have found quite a few condos have a live and let live policy unofficially going on, they do not care what you do as long as it does not bother others. My condo has a small dog only policy, but plenty of people have large dogs here, I do not care one bit.

People where a necktie because that is what a lot of the jobs are here, I even where one every now and then when I need to or feel like it.

The honking comes from people driving south to home or where ever they are going, the honking is because construction has started and closed off one lane each direction on US-1. People still have not comprehended the "do not block the intersection" skill.

I think Brickell is one of the best areas of Miami, and most likely the best real walkable area.

Old 01-16-2011, 02:32 PM

Brickell is the best area in the American south, nuff zaid

Old 01-16-2011, 07:29 PM

4,149 posts, read 4,073,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post

The honking comes from people driving south to home or where ever they are going, the honking is because construction has started and closed off one lane each direction on US-1. People still have not comprehended the "do not block the intersection" skill.
When I lived in BOS I lived on a street most comparable to Flagler St. My condo was on the third floor directly in front of a traffic light, across the street from a club, and next door to a pizza place. From that I learned that one must never ever live directly in front of a traffic light unless you want to listen to honking all day long. And don't live across from a bar if you don't want to listen to all the crap when the bar closes.

People from the burbs don't seem to realize that when they drive through downtown banging on their horns that other people live right there and have to listen to that. They think it's just a sport in downtown and there are no victims. On some occasions I felt like following some of the perps home, pulling into their driveways, and blasting the horn for a while. On other occasions I imagined a sniper's nest in my front window.

There was a psycho killer in NYC a few years back who made it widely publicly known that his next victim would be the next person who bumped into him without saying excuse me. Everyone in NYC got polite for a couple days. It's amazing how much order one cowboy can bring to the herd.

Last edited by xS☺Be; 01-16-2011 at 08:34 PM..

Old 01-17-2011, 03:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian08 View Post
It's amazing how much order one cowboy can bring to the herd.
It would take a herd of cowboys for this place. I see things that bother me everyday here.

Yesterday, my son and I went to the Dynasty Chinese buffet. It's out on Miami gardens 186th and 19th ave. There was a black man dressed in his Sunday best, probably just got out of church.

Behind him was standing a very young white girl. When he stepped back he almost knocked her over. What did he say? Nothing. What did she say? Nothing. It's just the way things work here as few people expend the energy to say excuse me, please or thank you.

The good news is, you can act like uncouth here and nobody get's upset, so if you're inclined to be that way, you'll fit right in here. Young or old, black or white.

I try not to be so negative around my son about Miami, this is his home too. In a quiet moment last night I asked if he saw Miami as his forever home. HELL no, he said, and we started making a new plan.

You know, it's a goddamn shame I have to seek out reasons to like this place at all. You should see some of the pathetic reasons I have come up with in my I love Miami list.

One of them was added yesterday. "I love Miami because the Chinese Buffets here have real Ice Cream". What a reason to move here.

Old 01-17-2011, 03:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WINTERFRONT View Post
Brickell is the best area in the American south, nuff zaid
You mean South American right?

Old 01-17-2011, 04:08 AM

I mean American South as in NC, Alabama, Georgia, etc...

Old 01-17-2011, 05:38 AM

18,870 posts, read 13,590,770 times
Life is 10 percent what happens to you and 90 percent how you react to it...

I like it here. No snow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami