Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 06:38 AM

31 posts, read 66,781 times

Advertisements

And reacting includes not only your attitude but the decisions you make. If you are unhappy with the city you live in, change cities. It's easier to change yourself than 2 million people. Don't want to move far? Broward is 25 miles from Miami. There is no excuse to live here if you don't like it. Cut your losses and move on, life is short.

Old 01-17-2011, 06:40 AM

911 posts, read 1,713,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WINTERFRONT View Post
I mean American South as in NC, Alabama, Georgia, etc...
It was a joke man.

I went to B&B? in Mary Brickell Village the day I went down there. It was lunch time. It was very busy, loud and sounded fun. I noticed many people who were probably working down there drinking. We don't drink at lunch when at work where we came from so that was something I noticed. 98% were in business casual attire and 90% were 30-40 somethings, some younger hot chicks.

I got the sense that because I was by myself they were hesitant to seat me. They had some tables open but kept pointing me towards the bar. There were not any seats there, so later I left and walked to the Burger King.

It was also interesting that the seater that took traffic off the street was more friendly than the seater who works on the back. The one in the back had that Sobe hateful attidue. You know, that contempt for tourist thing.

I wasn't there long but the groups there were having a good time but I could tell it was clickish. Everyone was in their group trying to be cooler and snobbier than the other table.

I ate at BK, I remember watching the counter person there waiting on other customers. She looked like she hated her job.

I visited the Publix to see who was there. Not anything vastly different than anywhere else in Miami and the store was still not great. I walked out and past a Homeless on the side that faces the Metrorail.

I think Brickell shares much with Sobe and more so than any other place I have found in Miami. I don't love/hate Brickell anymore or less than Sobe for the same reasons.

I keep saying, it's not Miami I have issue with, it's the way people act here that's my problem. It's attitude not altitude.

So here are my choices. Shady and Dangerous to the north or snobby and hateful in the south. The only place worth living here to put up with the rest of Miami, is East of both.

Old 01-17-2011, 07:00 AM

31 posts, read 66,781 times
A table trying to be cooler and louder than another table? LOL. That's funny. When we go out, we never check other tables, we just have fun. Restaurants are the same everywhere. I've been in Texas and people mind their own business. People don't care about other tables. LOL. You're so funny.

Old 01-17-2011, 10:03 AM

810 posts, read 1,578,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmlacysr View Post
It was a joke man.

I went to B&B? in Mary Brickell Village the day I went down there. It was lunch time. It was very busy, loud and sounded fun. I noticed many people who were probably working down there drinking. We don't drink at lunch when at work where we came from so that was something I noticed. 98% were in business casual attire and 90% were 30-40 somethings, some younger hot chicks.

I got the sense that because I was by myself they were hesitant to seat me. They had some tables open but kept pointing me towards the bar. There were not any seats there, so later I left and walked to the Burger King.

It was also interesting that the seater that took traffic off the street was more friendly than the seater who works on the back. The one in the back had that Sobe hateful attidue. You know, that contempt for tourist thing.

I wasn't there long but the groups there were having a good time but I could tell it was clickish. Everyone was in their group trying to be cooler and snobbier than the other table.

I ate at BK, I remember watching the counter person there waiting on other customers. She looked like she hated her job.

I visited the Publix to see who was there. Not anything vastly different than anywhere else in Miami and the store was still not great. I walked out and past a Homeless on the side that faces the Metrorail.

I think Brickell shares much with Sobe and more so than any other place I have found in Miami. I don't love/hate Brickell anymore or less than Sobe for the same reasons.

I keep saying, it's not Miami I have issue with, it's the way people act here that's my problem. It's attitude not altitude.

So here are my choices. Shady and Dangerous to the north or snobby and hateful in the south. The only place worth living here to put up with the rest of Miami, is East of both.
I totally understand. Please post more about your Miami experiences. I love to hear more. Your posts are so beautifully written. WOW

more Please

Old 01-17-2011, 10:43 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,815,515 times
"I went to B&B? in Mary Brickell Village the day I went down there. It was lunch time. It was very busy, loud and sounded fun. I noticed many people who were probably working down there drinking. We don't drink at lunch when at work where we came from so that was something I noticed. 98% were in business casual attire and 90% were 30-40 somethings, some younger hot chicks."

You seem concerned about how people are dressed being in business attire (your second post referencing this), is there some reason for this? I also went out for a drink a few times when in my business work clothes, right after work, and also for lunch when I took off early from work.

"I got the sense that because I was by myself they were hesitant to seat me. They had some tables open but kept pointing me towards the bar. There were not any seats there, so later I left and walked to the Burger King."

What, you need someone to hold your hand for you? Go sit down yourself, why do you need someone to guide you? I have never had a problem there and I am not even considered a "local", I just moved here a few months ago.

"I wasn't there long but the groups there were having a good time but I could tell it was clickish. Everyone was in their group trying to be cooler and snobbier than the other table."

That is called having fun, you offended because someone did not invite you to their table? How is it clickish to hang out with people you know?

"I ate at BK, I remember watching the counter person there waiting on other customers. She looked like she hated her job."

Yea, because people who work at BK, McDonalds, Walmart, etc, are known for loving their "careers".

"I visited the Publix to see who was there. Not anything vastly different than anywhere else in Miami and the store was still not great. I walked out and past a Homeless on the side that faces the Metrorail."

I do not think Publix in Mary Brickell ever proclaimed for having anything different, it is a chain grocery store, what did you expect? Sorry, I have been to many Publix in the Miami area and the Mary brickell one is much nicer than many others, along with the clients.

"I think Brickell shares much with Sobe and more so than any other place I have found in Miami. I don't love/hate Brickell anymore or less than Sobe for the same reasons."

What do they share? The same ocean as a border? Brickell is not even a tourist trap like South Beach is, nor does Brickell even have a Beach, nor does Brickell have the crime activity and riff raff South beach has. By the way, I am not knocking South Beach, I like it there just fine, just making comparisons.

"I keep saying, it's not Miami I have issue with, it's the way people act here that's my problem. It's attitude not altitude."

I am thinking you have the problem. You are not happy anywhere and seem to think every one else has a problem except for you, to the point of going to get something to eat is a bothersome adventure for you.

"So here are my choices. Shady and Dangerous to the north or snobby and hateful in the south. The only place worth living here to put up with the rest of Miami, is East of both."

Snobby and hateful? Please, just because you are easily intimidated by others and lack the assertiveness to even get a seat for something to eat does not mean people are hateful nor snobby.

These people have some snobbishness to them, but I don't blame them, there is no reason to associate with others who cannot do basic things in life, like get a seat at a restaurant.

Your posts are starting to read like a diary, your day to day emotions and thoughts on routine matters most people do not ever mind or pay attention to.

You and I moved here about the same time, both of us came from a vastly different culture and lifestyle than Miami. But yet you and I have two completely different experiences here in Miami.

Some people feel the need to have a drama filled and complicated life, others don't.

Old 01-17-2011, 12:08 PM

415 posts, read 1,666,293 times
JM.. I have a test for you. This upcoming Friday, come up to downtown Fort Lauderdale. Bring your son and spend some time at Yolo (though it does get packed), Vibe, and Rare. All three places are near each other so you can easily hit all 3 places. There's a huge parking garage nearby as well. Once you do this.. I guarentee you will have a different opinion of south Florida. It's mostly non-hispanic whites and a TON of great looking women.

Old 01-17-2011, 12:25 PM

JM but if we change your mind, please join us @ "la Cascada" Lounge and Cafe this Friday

Old 01-17-2011, 12:45 PM

3,644 posts, read 6,305,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Life is 10 percent what happens to you and 90 percent how you react to it...
Great statement. You've basically summarized the beliefs of the school of cognitive psychology, which states that with animals the sequence of events is stimulus-> response, but for humans it is stimulus->cognition (perception of the stimulus)->response. It is an all important difference that allows us, with proper reflection and self-examination, to have more control over our reactions to outside stimuli. Of course, knowing it and successfully doing it are two different things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmlacysr View Post
I keep saying, it's not Miami I have issue with, it's the way people act here that's my problem.
If a city is not the people within it then what is the city? It sounds like the line from Braveheart: “The trouble with Scotland is that its full of Scots”.

Old 01-17-2011, 01:55 PM

4,968 posts, read 10,195,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hialeah_Rules View Post
JM but if we change your mind, please join us @ "la Cascada" Lounge and Cafe this Friday
I remember you and Thomas Jefferson recommended me this place for cougar hunting.

Old 01-17-2011, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WINTERFRONT View Post
I remember you and Thomas Jefferson recommended me this place for cougar hunting.

did you go?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami