Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2010, 12:04 PM

888 posts, read 886,775 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmlacysr View Post
How to Choose a Professional Wedding Photographer - Adept Wedding Photography
Item 22.

DragonFly Studios Standard Wedding Photography Terms and Conditions | Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=107454405969417&topic=99&post=335 - broken link)
Booking fee

Payment Terms

Terms and conditions for hiring Artography Weddings
Payment terms

Focused Exposure Studio - Fayetteville Wedding Photographers serving Fayetteville, AR at AllWedding.com
Standard payment terms

I could give 10,000 links, but what the point. I know my business well. It's been my full time job for 10 years. If I don't shoot I don't eat.

It's not the way wedding photographer works. If you book me for a Saturday in June in January and you change your mind in May, I have turned down business for your date in June because you booked me. I might be able to rebook but maybe not and if not I don't get paid on that date. There are only so many Saturdays in a year and even less in peak wedding season. Albums are paid up front too as well as an allowance for any travel expenses if it's a destination wedding.

What makes us honest is our reputation. If we don't show we're hosed for good. It's not worth it if you want to stay in business because **** off one bride and everyone on the planet knows it.

For me personally I would never let anyone down or haven't yet anyway. It's an important day and I feel the responsibility more than need the money. The money is ok, but people are counting on me. As a matter of fact, I call my brides during the week before. I call my brides on my way to the wedding to let them know I'm on my way.

I'll share a quick story. I was on my way to a wedding and called the Bride and told her just I'm on the way, she said you're sick today? LOL. We laughed about that at the wedding that day. We had a bad connection on our cell phones.

I'm the least hard wedding photographer ron the planet to reach, two cells phone, I text, IM, yahoo messenger, I have over 1000 friends on facebook. Google me and you'll find 100's of link to my website and glowing reviews everywhere. I answer emails from my phone. I'm not hard to reach and my past customers know it.

I had a large referral base in Dallas and I gave that up here. I still book and shoot back in Dallas but I'm trying to focus more on Soflo. I'm also considering opening up in NY and I could never do any of that if I failed to show up even one time.

Now if you get a photog that's in it for a one shot deal, that's the customers fault. They need to select a wedding professional not a local numnut that has a point and shoot and does weddings in his spare time. Pros will be there, even if they are 1/2 dead. It's a code of ethics we have.

Hell, we have insurance for such a thing. The pros do, the fly by nights, don't. Like all things you get what you pay for.
I have 2 friends as well as friends of friends who are excellent wedding photographers, and when that time comes, I won't have to pay up front 100%. I'll be 50% max.

Most people I know are very confident in their wedding photgrapher connections, and since I am thinking about getting married myself, I have been asking around.
Now, before you start to criticize their quality before you have seen their work...lol

Old 12-24-2010, 12:22 PM

888 posts, read 886,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Until I found out he was moving with an adult son( which meant he had to be at least in his mid 40s) I thought the posts were being written by a 23 yr old guy talking about the beach, the babes, and asking about nightclubs that 20 somethings go to...
I agree with most everything in your post, with the exception of the above comment.

I have no idea how old you are, but I am regularly getting invited by my younger single friends (yes, a couple are early-mid-20s) to go out with them. They have dragged me to clubs, lounges and bars. These days I occasionally agree to go with them, but it's not like I am getting off on hanging out with people younger than me by 15-20 years so I can scam the girls. I have tried to tell them many times that I am too old to go out with the young crowd, and they keep insisting. They say that age ain't nothin but a number. It's what's in your heart that counts.

Old 12-24-2010, 12:34 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynwood View Post
I agree with most everything in your post, with the exception of the above comment.

I have no idea how old you are, but I am regularly getting invited by my younger single friends (yes, a couple are early-mid-20s) to go out with them. They have dragged me to clubs, lounges and bars. These days I occasionally agree to go with them, but it's not like I am getting off on hanging out with people younger than me by 15-20 years so I can scam the girls. I have tried to tell them many times that I am too old to go out with the young crowd, and they keep insisting. They say that age ain't nothin but a number. It's what's in your heart that counts.
Well fair enough. I'm in my early 50s(yikes) and while I enjoyed my times in the 80s in clubs I don't want to hang out with people who could be my kids. Even Madonna realizes shes not a kid anymore....LOL.

As a quote from a famous movie says "There is nothing tragic about being 50, unless you try and act 25".

Merry Christmas.

Old 12-24-2010, 02:02 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,135,910 times
What I don't get is that if this move was SOOO important and so carefully planned out, why were their so many assumptions made, why weren't there other back up apartments lined up? Why not stay in an extended stay hotel for a month when your apartment fell through so you could persoanlly search for another apartment, why ignore accurate advise from residents when they tried to warn you about your blind assumptions?

I am not doubting that you have had a rude awakening in Miami, but it seems like you are part of the problem, it isn't all Miami. You seem to take things personally, not do your research, ignore valid advice, make decisions with a lack of information while having tools at your disposal to get important details...

Why not just move somewhere else? Even Ft. Lauderdale? Why does it have to be Miami? Some things will never change, but one of them can be your outlook and attitude. There is a saying in Spanish, if a freshwater fish swims into the sea, who has to change??? Obviously Miami has been like this and it won't transform into a run of the mill place, so you need to get a thicker skin, open your mind and start making fewer reckless and impulsive decisions. You will save yourself additional agony down the road...

Old 12-24-2010, 03:11 PM

911 posts, read 1,713,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynwood View Post
Now, before you start to criticize their quality before you have seen their work...lol
I'm not criticizing anything. There are some very qualified professionals in this market. I saw that when I did the feasibility study for my buiness model here prior to moving.

Most importantly is not what I think it's what you think about the product and you're experience in having the service done that counts.

Pre-congrats on your engagement! BTW, you might think about having a photographer hide and shoot when you pop the question. We do that in Texas quite a bit. I'll hide in the bushes and shoot long lenses and she never knows I'm there as he goes down on one knee and I catch her reaction. Pretty cool part of the back story to be shown at the reception. Typically, I'll do the engagements at the same location further tying in the pre-story line. If they are dressed nice on that day then consider wearing the same clothes.

Here's another little idea but this one is pre-proposal. Take the ring you are going to ask her to marry you with. Put it on her pillow as she sleeps and take a photo. Put it everywhere she can't see it and take a photo while she's in the same room. Put it on your hand, put it behind her head where she can't see it and take her photo. Put it on her shampoo bottle when she is in the shower. Put it on the cocktail table and take a photo while she's busy in the kitchen in the background. Make sure she is in the photo of the ring. Surprise her with those photo's as they come up on the slide show at the reception. She'll freak out and love you more because you took the extra effort to make her pre-wedding special.

Congrats again, it's a special time in your life, enjoy every minute of it.

Old 12-24-2010, 03:18 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,466,505 times
Quote:

Let's take another one. Plan on going to the Heat game? At 7:00 parking is $40.00, $30.00 at 7:15 and $20.00 at 7:30 for the same lot and $10.00 at 8:00 pm. You don't know what things cost here, it depends.
Wow, imagine that. The later the night gets in relation to an event the lower the value of the parking spot becomes. What a scam!

/sarcasm off

Quote:

I've been here for two months. I've got counterfeit money out of the ATM machines. I bought a car and the transaction was questionable at best. I bought a scooter and was scammed there. I put in 20.00 worth of gas and got 1/8th of a tank. 20 bucks usually gives me 1/2.
How was it questionable? Was it "questionable" like your gas prices or parking prices? THAT kind of questionable? Even if there was a legitimate complaint about the dealer, are you really trying to say that only Miami is home to dishonest car dealers? Really?

Gas prices may vary from state to state, county to county, and even street to street. This doesn't point to anything criminal, just capitalism at work.

Quote:
Even the dry cleaners is running a scam, advertising .99 cent shirts, go and pick them up and you'll find it's only .99 if you have a bill over 50.00. Of course there wasn't anything stating that before hand and they make no apologies for the mis-information.
I don't see how this is a scam if you didn't read the fine print. Common sense would dictate that you confirm the terms prior to dropping off the laundry. Also, this isn't exclusive to Miami, or South Florida.

Quote:
I've been overcharged at the convenience store a few times. The ones you have to watch are those that have the register hidden. Check your receipts for the added gratuity they tack on.
I've been overcharged and undercharged all over the place. It's not a conspiracy, just human error. A scam? Maybe, but doubt it. Exclusive to S. Florida? Of course not.

I'm sorry you've had these experiences, but common sense and preparation go a long way. Life is what you make out of it, and it's harder for those who don't use their brain.

Old 12-24-2010, 03:19 PM

4,968 posts, read 10,196,322 times
Quote:

Here's another little idea but this one is pre-proposal. Take the ring you are going to ask her to marry you with. Put it on her pillow as she sleeps and take a photo. Put it everywhere she can't see it and take a photo while she's in the same room. Put it on your hand, put it behind her head where she can't see it and take her photo. Put it on her shampoo bottle when she is in the shower. Put it on the cocktail table and take a photo while she's busy in the kitchen in the background. Make sure she is in the photo of the ring. Surprise her with those photo's as they come up on the slide show at the reception. She'll freak out and love you more because you took the extra effort to make her pre-wedding special.

Old 12-24-2010, 04:18 PM

911 posts, read 1,713,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
Wow, imagine that. The later the night gets in relation to an event the lower the value of the parking spot becomes. What a scam!

/sarcasm off

How was it questionable? Was it "questionable" like your gas prices or parking prices? THAT kind of questionable? Even if there was a legitimate complaint about the dealer, are you really trying to say that only Miami is home to dishonest car dealers? Really?

No I'm not saying all. Who said that?

Gas prices may vary from state to state, county to county, and even street to street. This doesn't point to anything criminal, just capitalism at work.

Well, no we are talking about gas pump tampering but even then the price here varies from .30 a gallon from block to block. In Texas we might have a .05 difference but never this wide of spread for the same brand of gas.

I don't see how this is a scam if you didn't read the fine print. Common sense would dictate that you confirm the terms prior to dropping off the laundry. Also, this isn't exclusive to Miami, or South Florida.

No signs that I could find.

I've been overcharged and undercharged all over the place. It's not a conspiracy, just human error. A scam? Maybe, but doubt it. Exclusive to S. Florida? Of course not.

I'm sorry you've had these experiences, but common sense and preparation go a long way. Life is what you make out of it, and it's harder for those who don't use their brain.
LOL, see you're part of the problem. You think that's perfectly acceptable. I don't get it because we don't do that in Dallas and it's much more of big city capitalistic driven place than this dinky Miami. Parking is 40.00 or 40.00. You pick.

Did the price of asphalt go down in that 15 mins? Do those flag boys get a raise, did the cost of anything fluctuate or was the owner all about filling the lot? Is that good for you or the lot owner.

I have the same problem with airlines though. Book 2 months out out and save, but jet fuel has gone up by the time you fly. Fly today and pay more. If the cost is the same why the rate hike or decrease. And exactly why does it cost more to fly on a Thursday than a Saturday? Does the air they fly in cost more on weekends?

Here's another one about Miami. Rental cars. Go in and pay and it costs one price. Sit outside and pay it's another price. Call them and they don't have the car you want. Book online and car a magically appears. I'm doing it all outside their parking lot on my cell phone from now on. I can beat them at their own game now that I know their rules.

Sorry man, I agree this crap goes on everywhere and maybe I'm not accustomed to the way people do business down here. It's insane and corrupted, shady and incompetent at best. Call it what you want but people in Texas don't have to deal with this crap to anywhere near this degree.

Btw, I haven't even mentioned the story about spending $515.00 for a $100.00 scooter repair yet. I'm sure you'll feel the cost was justified because "this" goes on everywhere and I'm the one at fault. He broke a part on my scooter, then charged me for the part. He had to order the part and charged me a storage fee for the scooter while the part was on order that he broke. I either pony up the cash or he keeps my scooter. Sounds like a Miami type deal to me.

Enough! I'm spending xmas eve doing something fun and hope you do too.

Old 12-24-2010, 04:29 PM

3,769 posts, read 8,801,056 times
Quote:
maybe I'm not accustomed to the way people do business down here. It's insane and corrupted, shady and incompetent at best.
Translation - Miami.

Old 12-24-2010, 05:13 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,466,505 times
Quote:
LOL, see you're part of the problem. You think that's perfectly acceptable.
Don't confuse what I wrote and then make some half arsed assessment about it. If you're not capable of making decisions, have a lack of understanding of basic economic principles, and tend to think the worst of people, that's not my fault.

In other words, because I find your post to be ridiculous and hyperbolic, doesn't mean I'm "Part of the problem."

Quote:
I don't get it because we don't do that in Dallas and it's much more of big city capitalistic driven place than this dinky Miami. Parking is 40.00 or 40.00. You pick.

Did the price of asphalt go down in that 15 mins? Do those flag boys get a raise, did the cost of anything fluctuate or was the owner all about filling the lot? Is that good for you or the lot owner.
Why is a gallon of milk 4.00 and then 2.99 across the street? What are you complaining about? You're trying to tell me that Dallas doesn't have a having a varying scale of price per parking? Yea right, who are you kidding?

Quote:
I have the same problem with airlines though. Book 2 months out out and save, but jet fuel has gone up by the time you fly. Fly today and pay more. If the cost is the same why the rate hike or decrease. And exactly why does it cost more to fly on a Thursday than a Saturday? Does the air they fly in cost more on weekends?
Are you serious? Why do you think the price varies?

You're also contradicting yourself here, by complaining about the airlines doing the same thing, you're abandoning the "Only Miami" does this opening argument.

Quote:
Here's another one about Miami. Rental cars. Go in and pay and it costs one price. Sit outside and pay it's another price. Call them and they don't have the car you want. Book online and car a magically appears. I'm doing it all outside their parking lot on my cell phone from now on. I can beat them at their own game now that I know their rules.
Again, that's EVERYWHERE, not exclusive to Miami.

Quote:
Sorry man, I agree this crap goes on everywhere
Well I'll finally agree with you on that.

Quote:
I'm not accustomed to the way people do business down here. It's insane and corrupted, shady and incompetent at best. Call it what you want but people in Texas don't have to deal with this crap to anywhere near this degree.
The internet is the best invention in the world. That paired with word of mouth from somebody you trust should be enough to find a quality worker. I can't imagine getting burned by anybody these days. The internet (IMO) has also driven prices down for services. Innovative hard working people chomping at the bits to earn your trust and get work from you. Any work I've had done, I researched thoroughly before considering anybody for the job. Are there endless losers out there ready to take your money and probably make your problem worse? You bet, but most times it's your fault if that happens.

Quote:
Btw, I haven't even mentioned the story about spending $515.00 for a $100.00 scooter repair yet. I'm sure you'll feel the cost was justified because "this" goes on everywhere and I'm the one at fault. He broke a part on my scooter, then charged me for the part.
Some mechanics often have a saying "We break it, you buy it." I won't say this scenario is justified, (and again don't put words in my mouth and argue against that. By saying it happens everywhere is not the same as justifying it.) but the point that it is not exclusive to Miami. In fact, NONE of the things you are upset about are problems you'll find only in Miami. You can find them anywhere. If you were upset about the traffic, then sure I'd understand. Upset about the humidity, gotcha. Upset about expensive RE prices, I can see it. But this stuff?

What was your due diligence prior to bringing your scooter in for repair?

Did you do your homework before moving to a crappy part of town and then complaining about it? Is it really a surprise you moved to a crime ridden area and don't like it?

Buyer beware dude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami