Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2010, 12:14 PM

911 posts, read 1,713,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian08 View Post
However things that typically occur in Miami customer service would attract law enforcement elsewhere.
That's exactly right Boston and only part of the problem. The only thing the cops do here is traffic control which leaves the people of the city free to feed on each other.

At the risk of being politically incorrect and possibly banned from the board, I'm about to say what I really think. Miami lovers won't like what I'm about to say but it's time to stop skirting my real issues here and I'm going to tell it like I really see it. My Mom used to tell me it's better for people the hate me for who I am, than love me for what I'm not. So, here goes and there will be many that have issue with what I say.

Miami is like a beautiful woman with halitosis and a chronic yeast infection. Nice to look at but even getting to first base you'll be holding your nose.

Miami has a sewer mentality with a mean streak and arrogance is excepted as the norm. Common sense and common courtesy found in other US cities has been driven out for the sake of self interests and installed are the ways of doing business of the controlling immigrants homeland.

Miami has less to do with the US than any city and I have ever been and I've been to more than a few. The 3rd world mentality has taken over the morays of this small city. Even worse, is that it's likely not to be reinstated now as this is an integral part of the culture and it's flailing economy as such.

It's also likely to get worse not better as each generation is born and raised in Miami and the lack of civility will become more inbred and instilled in it's youth. I have to think that perhaps in the distant past this unconscionable behavior was merely a sub-culture, but unfortunately it has become an ever increasing part the primary culture and I further suspect that the people who value courtesy and professionalism have either left Miami forever, isolated themselves here, been reduced to a sub-culture or in denial at best about the severity of the daily problems of surviving here.

Sadly, the only fix I see for Miami is for it to disconnect from the US mainland and float away to become an island of it's own. It's likely degraded to a point it can never be brought under control due to the lack of initiative by the city officials to control it's own populations behavior.

I often find the subordinate attitudes of any company or organization or city large or small are a direct reflection of managements own. If I believe that, then I can't lay blame directly at the feet of Miamians but I can point blame at the city leaders for they lackadaisical attitude for the Miami cultural demise.

It's such an incredibly beautiful city this place called Miami. Just driving the city is like driving through an art gallery and I'm consistently enamored. Unfortunately, it's merely a facade belying a very serious set of problems NOT found anywhere else in the USA to anywhere near this degree and ones that are only apparent to those who live here day to day and have a baseline of experiences to compare from living in other US cities.

Today, I find myself another person guilty of succumbing to her seduction because of her surface beauty but it's becoming increasingly apparent that she lacks depth in enduring character. She's like a beautiful wife that cheats, lies and steals. Innately, she is a mean, narcissistic, self absorbed, self effacing, shallow and sad drunkard and as soon as possible, I'm filing for divorce.

Those of you that live here may not actually realize that's it's really NOT this way everywhere in the country. You can recieve a smile from a total stranger. You can leave your doors unlocked. You can trust your local vendors. You can drive and not get a rude honk. You can live where the supermarkets are clean and food and housing is affordable and proportionate with wages. You can live where you can raise well balance children and yes you can walk your street at night and yes you can live where the Police keep law and order a major priority. Yes, the city officials care not only about it's own residents quality of life and actually do something to ensure it, but also ensure the future of your city along with your cities image across the nation to encourage growth and prosperity for it's current residents. Sadly, I've found that Miami shares none of those commonalities as much as I wanted to see them.

For those of you who are reading this and considering a move to Miami, I will just say this; do not believe in the totality the generalizations of all that I've claimed simply because you're experiences, goals and perspectives might be significantly different than my own.

I would however strongly encourage you to at least consider that there may be even a single sliver of truth to what I've said here, and further I would respectfully suggest you be mindful of the propensities I've outlined when basing your decisions for your entire families future.

It's not IF you will fall prey here to the charlatans in Miami, it's when and you will unfortunately have to live with the rest of the social and financial inequities along with the ineptness of the workforce of this city in the interim.

People on this forum often say in excuse for these problems the following; "Miami, it's not for everybody". While I agree with that statement, I would amend it slightly. "Miami, it's not for most reasonable people if they have a choice to live elsewhere" and with that said, I'll leave my contribution if deemed any, along with my experiences and opinions good or bad, to be judged and dismissed as typically exaggerated by the proponents of Miami right there.

Old 12-25-2010, 01:16 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,135,910 times
This same post has been on city data, made by many different members, over the past YEARS. Compare this last post you made to your first ones. Why did you refuse to listen to other people who have similar views as you do now? I am not saying you are wrong, but when you were warned, you dismissed it. You had this resource to read the exact information you are sharing now. You made a deliberate choice to ignore others advise. What makes you think people will believe your post vs. the other similar posts that state the same? Many people are like you, they cast a blind eye and choose to be seduced.

The problem is, to come on here AFTER being advised about the problems and complaining, you get the hate feedback. If you had merely posted requesting information and then listened to others' advise, your experience here would be much different.

I specifically told you that you were leaving a friendly city with good customer service and you didn't care that Miami wouldn't be the same or that you found that not to be true. Do you recall when I mentioned when you had to have the car repaired, call maintence people, go shopping, etc. that you would then see the real Miami? I was attacked for having a slanted view as to what was real, and that it was like this everywhere.

Why not just call it a loss and move? Miami isn't going to change. You were able to make some accurate conclusions, but the following step would be to remove yourself from this environment.

Broward is an alternative. It is Miami light.

Many posters here will argue that everywhere sucks and the whole world is like this....and blah blah. Most traveled and opened minded people know this is not true. But you also have views that are distorted on certain things and that gives the Miami lovers ammo to say you have an agenda or are lying or whatever.

What you need to realize is that despite all of the problems you see here, many people aren't bothered by them. The lack of customer service, common courtesy, no friendliness, etc are things many people never have expereinced here and don't yearn for it. Or, they are people that behaved this same way elsewhere and couldn't get away with it there, but here they can, so they feel at home and validate their disassociation with the world by living here.

The bottom line is that you made a bad move and you had all the information at your hands to prevent making a bad decision and your realizations now are not going to draw much compassion. Just make the best of your situation, find a liveable areato move to or relocate out of SoFla. Don't torture yourself.

Old 12-25-2010, 01:28 PM

535 posts, read 1,411,138 times
Your bubble popped to quickly.... lol mine popped after 5 years living in Miami, that was the days I had my first job and I realized how crazily expensive this place is.

Old 12-25-2010, 01:34 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Why did the OP buy a used car in Miami and not even test the A/C? Not have a mechanic check it out?

This is the same guy who is running into thieves around every corner, from dry cleaners to counterfeit money.

Yet he buys a used car and doesn't even test the AC?????? Then complains about the car and how he got ripped off, once AGAIN.

If you read his posts he just isn't too bright. I honestly thought he was in his early 20s at first, come to find out he has an adult son.

As we get older we should have some life experiences and gain some common sense that prevent these kinds of mistakes from happening again and again.

Not saying bad things aren't more prone to happen in places like Miami.

But he would have problems if he moved to East Bent Fork, TN.

Old 12-25-2010, 01:41 PM

Imagine if I wanted to move to Orlando sight unseen. All I know is that is must be like living on vacation because Disney is there, the beach is close, so is the Kennedy Space Center, Sea World, the weather is great, it is cheaper than Miami, etc. Then I go and make that same post in the Orlando forum and people try to give me a wake up call, but I refute it because I was just there for a week and everywhere I went was awesome and I felt like I was in paradise.

Can you imagine the kind of feedback I would get a month later when I started complaining about what Orlando is really like???

Old 12-25-2010, 02:21 PM

4,968 posts, read 10,196,322 times
Dude is from Dallas and calls Miami a "small city" hahahah.

Old 12-25-2010, 02:22 PM

I think he means small based on population within the city limits. Dallas is huge...

Old 12-25-2010, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelito23 View Post
I think he means small based on population within the city limits. Dallas is huge...
Downtown Dallas is huge?

Old 12-25-2010, 02:33 PM

Who said anything about downtown??? I guess downtown Dallas is normal sized for a sunbelt city of its size. Bigger than Miami's downtown obviously.

Old 12-25-2010, 02:44 PM

Wow, relax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami