U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-23-2010, 04:32 PM

3,854 posts, read 6,127,236 times

Advertisements

Good evening fellow posters. I will be in Miami Beach for about 8 hours in the beginning of January with my 21 yoa son from about 10 am to 6 or 7 pm. I know it could take weeks to see what Miami has to offer BUT we only have this time frame. Is it possible to park and walk around South Beach and do Ocean Blvd. and surrounding streets with the limited amount of time. We want to have a nice lunch outside and watch the sights go by.Can I take a tour bus or something? We also want to check the beach out for an hour if possible. Am I nuts or is this doable? Thank you so much for any advise or help that you can offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2010, 05:24 PM

4,160 posts, read 4,654,978 times
Actually it's very do-able. SoBe is essentially 17 blocks long from South Pointe to Lincoln Road. Sure just go to Ocean drive and walk the length of it to Lincoln Road. Lincoln Road is an outdoor mall with plenty of nice restaurants to choose from which are reputedly less expensive than the Ocean Drive offerings and just as good.

Old 12-23-2010, 05:47 PM

2,113 posts, read 2,998,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
Good evening fellow posters. I will be in Miami Beach for about 8 hours in the beginning of January with my 21 yoa son from about 10 am to 6 or 7 pm. I know it could take weeks to see what Miami has to offer BUT we only have this time frame. Is it possible to park and walk around South Beach and do Ocean Blvd. and surrounding streets with the limited amount of time. We want to have a nice lunch outside and watch the sights go by.Can I take a tour bus or something? We also want to check the beach out for an hour if possible. Am I nuts or is this doable? Thank you so much for any advise or help that you can offer.

You can definitely do it .... walk along Ocean Drive early then have lunch on Lincoln Road ... have some tapas on Hispaniola Way ... then hit the beach for a while then finish off the day with a cocktail at the Delano Hotel by the pool .

Old 12-23-2010, 07:05 PM

Thanks for the help. Any local advise about where to park. And when we go to the beach we have to change into our bathing suit, is there any park with changing facilities?

Old 12-23-2010, 09:15 PM

4,160 posts, read 4,654,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
Thanks for the help. Any local advise about where to park. And when we go to the beach we have to change into our bathing suit, is there any park with changing facilities?
I recall a big bathhouse around 10th st by a police station and a little one at 6th. But no worries, no one wears clothes on that beach anyways. There's parking garages along Collins which is one block behind Ocean Drive running parallel.

Old 12-24-2010, 12:08 AM
r_k

769 posts, read 1,008,516 times
There are large parking ramps at 7th and Collins, 13th and Collins, and 16th and Collins.

Old 12-24-2010, 10:50 AM
r_k

769 posts, read 1,008,516 times
For completeness, here's a list of all public parking in south beach:

http://web.miamibeachfl.gov/workarea....aspx?id=30958

and parking rates:

http://web.miamibeachfl.gov/parking/....aspx?id=30862

and a parking map:

http://www.southbeach-usa.com/maps/m...each-map-1.htm

There are also some privately run parking ramps, prices may be slightly higher.

I don't recommend a tour bus with the limited time you have, you'll be able to see and do plenty on foot. There is a 25c local bus that runs up and down Washington Ave from 1st to 20'th Streets which you can use to advantage by parking at one end of the island, then strolling gradually to the other end, then taking the bus back if you're tired or short on time. I recommend lunch on Ocean Drive, the restaurants are variable but great sightseeing if you just sit outside. On most days I suggest getting to South Pointe Park by 4:30 so you can watch the big cruise ships leave. Tuesday has no or very few ships but most days esp Thurs to Mon are good.

There is a sad scarcity of changing rooms by the beach, but you may be able to able to use one of the restroom stalls. There are public restrooms near the beach at South pointe park, 3rd Street, 6'th Street, 10'th Street, 14'th Street, and 21st Street. They are not the cleanest so don't go in barefoot. There are outdoor showers all along Lummus Park (5'th to 15'th Street).

If you take valuables to the beach either keep them on you or watch them like a hawk.

Weather permitting you have enough time for a really enjoyable day, and I predict you'll be back for a longer trip next time

Old 12-24-2010, 03:56 PM

Thanks guys for the help. I printed the maps you supplied. Have a great Christmas. I'll send snow if u want.LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami