Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you hate most about Miami?
Rude people 64 44.14%
Lack of Diversity 25 17.24%
Crime 43 29.66%
Drug problems 32 22.07%
Schools 22 15.17%
Bad Economy 32 22.07%
Boring/Nothing to Do 12 8.28%
Distances too far 16 11.03%
Not easy to stay thin 6 4.14%
Cost of Living 38 26.21%
Low Income 29 20.00%
Traffic 38 26.21%
Insufficient Public Transportation 16 11.03%
I actually like it here 41 28.28%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 145. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 08:49 AM

932 posts, read 1,177,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WINTERFRONT View Post
Oh, one more thing: the majority of people are not aware of these issues, because the majority are participants of all the negative things you mentioned. They don't see these things as a problem, but as a way of life - it's like everyone in the 305 has been raised in the same house by the same lowlife parents.
It's not necessarily "lowlife parents", but the problems I mentioned (and others have mentioned) are far more prevalent in Miami than elsewhere. You really cannot deny this, but I'd be interested to hear your take on it. Personally, I think that most people who like it here will either pretend the problem doesn't exist, or they're so used to it that they see such behavior and a deeply ingrained lack of regard for others as normal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2010, 09:46 AM

911 posts, read 1,713,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolón View Post
Miami, not Little Haiti

Allow me to clarify, the area I have always understood to be Miami is marked in yellow here.

http://www.ci.miami.fl.us/Planning/M...Region8x11.pdf

My frame of reference has always been only that part of the Miami area. Miami Beach or Hialeah can't be included in anything I say or ever said about "Miami". LOL, maybe I need to expand my area and find more things to rant about.

When people say Miami, I think of a mailing address that says Miami, Florida not Coral Gables, Florida and maybe that's wrong.

Gee, I've been talking about the area called Miami on that map all this time. Life may be very different in Doral or Kendall, or Miami Springs. Hard to say as I've never been to any of them that I know of.

What I can say is that area marked in yellow is a little rough around the edges for my tastes and why I'm moving out of the "city" of Miami.

Old 12-26-2010, 09:57 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,807,837 times
I like it here.

Yes, I agree all these problems exist, but up here on my ivory tower, I do not have to live among all of it, just encounter it when I go somewhere, which really sucks (Adventura mall ghetto idiots running around).

I do feel for those who are decent people who are forced because of income to live among all the hood rats. Then their kids are unduly influenced by all these people and grow up to be a hood rat of their own.

It is a crime it seems to be poor here, you get screwed every which way.

Old 12-26-2010, 10:04 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,361,781 times
not on the poll but lack of DIVERSE cultural activities.

Old 12-26-2010, 10:16 AM

No more or less diverse than many other places from my experience.

Pretending to be excited over the culture of .001% of the population is suppose to be better?

Old 12-26-2010, 10:20 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,361,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
No more or less diverse than many other places from my experience.

Pretending to be excited over the culture of .001% of the population is suppose to be better?
Im from NYC, my wife is from Chicago, you know, real cities. This place doesn't compare. Travel more, you will see.

Old 12-26-2010, 10:32 AM

I have lived in four other countries, traveled to all fifty states, and lived in six others, I have plenty of traveling under my belt thank you.

Yes, I use to live in Chicago as well.

Now back to Miami, the subject. Having people pretend to care or be interested in other cultures is worst than just not caring in my opinion. If you take a look where many of the people of Miami are from, they have little regard for other customs and cultures besides their own, to the point of not even learning the primary language of the country they reside.

So while it will be neat and cool to have a little interest in something besides Cuban here, I think it would be even more pitiful to pretend to have interest in something else (of course always led by your liberal elite) when in fact there is no true interest.

This is not a Miami thing, many cities in the world are like this, the primary culture is the dominate force, and seldom are cities on the level of NYC and London, which are more exceptions than the rule.

Old 12-26-2010, 10:38 AM

683 posts, read 1,468,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferpow13 View Post
What do you hate most?
Lack of diversity?

Miami is the second most diverse city of the American continent (Toronto #1).

Old 12-26-2010, 10:46 AM

What is "diverse" about it?

Not that I give a hoot about diversity, as it is the most annoying term in my opinion.

But according to the stereotypical use of the term, Miami is hardly diverse, there is one single dominating culture and that is it. There is little regard towards any other culture, and a person is basically ostracized if they are something other than Hispanic. Unless of course you live in one of the "diverse" communities full of either Hatians or wealthy white, which again, you must be one of to get accepted. With the exception of course of the very rich areas, in which you must be a millionaire club member to be accepted, they will accept anyone of any race and ethnicity.

Heck, I guess this place is diverse!

Old 12-26-2010, 11:03 AM

4,968 posts, read 10,193,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edu983 View Post
Lack of diversity?

Miami is the second most diverse city of the American continent (Toronto #1).
Sources???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami