U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: What do you hate most about Miami?
Rude people 64 44.14%
Lack of Diversity 25 17.24%
Crime 43 29.66%
Drug problems 32 22.07%
Schools 22 15.17%
Bad Economy 32 22.07%
Boring/Nothing to Do 12 8.28%
Distances too far 16 11.03%
Not easy to stay thin 6 4.14%
Cost of Living 38 26.21%
Low Income 29 20.00%
Traffic 38 26.21%
Insufficient Public Transportation 16 11.03%
I actually like it here 41 28.28%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 145. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 10:47 AM

2,228 posts, read 2,610,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmlacysr View Post
What is the Spanish word for obstinance?

-----

Obstinado
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2011, 10:49 AM

2,228 posts, read 2,610,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmlacysr View Post
Thanks, Audacious is probably another one that applies. I've learned pomposo and arrogante out of necesidad.

My native Miami language skills are definitivamente improving.
---------

There's a Spanish word that fits you to a T.

"Quijotesco" (Quixotic)

Old 04-04-2011, 12:46 PM

911 posts, read 902,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolón View Post
---------

There's a Spanish word that fits you to a T.

"Quijotesco" (Quixotic)
Hey, thanks, I'll add that, of course like everything else in this town I had to go look it up.

quix·ot·ic/kwikˈsätik/

Adjective: Exceedingly idealistic; unrealistic and impractical: "

I'm guilty as charged, it's unrealistic to communicate in Miami, Florida in English.

You think you run this place and you're certainly trying and to some extent you have, as in ran into the ground.

Even with your level of quixotic visions of grandeur you can't possibly think that the attitude you show here is enduring. People hate Miami and leave due to people who act just like you.

Old 04-04-2011, 01:23 PM

Let me try to explain the Spanish challenges here. Much of the workforce here speaks Spanish and most speak some broken English.

Here's the challenge for non Spanish speaking people.

You take your car into repair because it won't start.

"My car won't start"

"Ok, will check."

I say, "ok great, it could be the starter, but I just had the bendix fixed last week, if you find it's the bendix, please let me take that back because it's likely under warranty. I did have battery checked at it was putting out 11.5v not the 12v it's supposed to be. I'm not sure that has any effect on it, but thought I would let you know. Another thing it might be, is the tumbler in the ignition. It's loose and one time I found if I jiggled the key it would start right up. There may also be an issue with the clutch as I have to push in the clutch all the way to the floor to start it."

The repair guy is still stuck on "OK". He didn't understand another word I said and I might as well have said it in Swahili.

If you work in the USA and you expect to be paid for work in the USA, you need to speak the language so we can communicate with you. You come here to this country seeking all the benefits and yet you're resistant to do what it take to reap those benefits. Nobody gives a god-damn what language you speak, don't flatter your dumb_ass self, all we care is what language you speak to us.

You have this odd sense of entitlement , like this is your city, well guess what, it's OUR city and I'm just as much part as you.

As English in the native language in the USA, damn right I expect you to speak the language of the USA. You make it sound like I have to learn another language to talk to you in MY own country. I learned the native language of the US and if you want to live here, you need to learn the language that was here BEFORE you.

I know the answer, I'll move to Cuba and make everyone learn English to suit ME. Hey Fidel? You hear me biatch?

Old 04-04-2011, 01:59 PM

181 posts, read 238,714 times
If you work in the USA and you expect to be paid for work in the USA, you need to speak the language so we can communicate with you. You come here to this country seeking all the benefits and yet you're resistant to do what it take to reap those benefits. Nobody gives a god-damn what language you speak, don't flatter your dumb_ass self, all we care is what language you speak to us.

You have this odd sense of entitlement , like this is your city, well guess what, it's OUR city and I'm just as much part as you.

As English in the native language in the USA, damn right I expect you to speak the language of the USA. You make it sound like I have to learn another language to talk to you in MY own country. I learned the native language of the US and if you want to live here, you need to learn the language that was here BEFORE you.

I know the answer, I'll move to Cuba and make everyone learn English to suit ME. Hey Fidel? You hear me biatch?

[/quote]

I agree that you should learn English to get ahead in this country but do you even know when this mechanic got to this country? It's as if you expect people who get here to magically start speaking Spanish. Anyone born here or arriving here as a child can speak English. It's not that people don't want to learn it (a minority). Miami is a city of many immigrants speaking Spanish. If you expected everyone to speak in good English in Miami before you moved here and made your life a soap opera for all of us to read with your whining you were sure naive and "quixotic" Everyone knows that Miami is full of Spanish speakers. You don't have to live here to know that.

BTW, Spanish was spoken in Florida for centuries before English was ever heard.

Old 04-04-2011, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loggerhead Shrike View Post

If you expected everyone to speak in good English in Miami before you moved here and made your life a soap opera for all of us to read with your whining you were sure naive and "quixotic" Everyone knows that Miami is full of Spanish speakers. You don't have to live here to know that.

BTW, Spanish was spoken in Florida for centuries before English was ever heard.
Unlike the country you likely came from, this one is free, feel free not to read my posts.

As usual you blame me for this miserable place and by your way of thinking, the USA should have made English the language for the rest of the USA and excluded Florida just to suit you.

Yeah, I'll buy into that, Miami is not representative of the USA. You have your own little Spanish hell to call your own.

Old 04-04-2011, 02:46 PM

2,217 posts, read 2,303,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loggerhead Shrike View Post
Miami is a city of many immigrants speaking Spanish. If you expected everyone to speak in good English in Miami before you moved here and made your life a soap opera for all of us to read with your whining you were sure naive and "quixotic" Everyone knows that Miami is full of Spanish speakers. You don't have to live here to know that.
California is full of mexicans but they nearly universally speak english. Coming from the west coast that took us by surprise that hispanics here did not recognize english as the language of commerce. We also knew nothing about the seasonal demographic shift due to snowbirds because they simply dont have that on the west coast. We have adapted but it was a long difficult road.

In addition, none of this is properly relayed to the public through tv shows or other media so it remains unknown to most of the country. To demonize people for not knowing something that is not being advertized is just wrong. I don't expect people to know my city's history before moving here.

Old 04-04-2011, 02:48 PM

2,217 posts, read 2,303,355 times
Jmlacysr: do not engage. it only adds salt to the wound. you need a break from citydata and just work on your business and improving your life. i know its addictive but both avoiding citydata and avoiding reading the herald will improve your emotional well being substantially. I guarantee it.

Old 04-04-2011, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cixcell View Post
California is full of mexicans but they nearly universally speak english. Coming from the west coast that took us by surprise that hispanics here did not recognize english as the language of commerce. We also knew nothing about the seasonal demographic shift due to snowbirds because they simply dont have that on the west coast. We have adapted but it was a long difficult road.

In addition, none of this is properly relayed to the public through tv shows or other media so it remains unknown to most of the country. To demonize people for not knowing something that is not being advertized is just wrong. I don't expect people to know my city's history before moving here.
Dallas is full of Mexicans too, most speak at least some English and don't have attitudes. They are part of Dallas and see themselves as "part" not the dominate force with a sense of entitlement. Most at least attempt to assimilate into the society there and not make the society assimilate into theirs and that's an important attitude distinction.

Old 04-04-2011, 03:00 PM

4,748 posts, read 4,932,010 times
I hate fiu
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami