Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2016, 10:49 AM

5,015 posts, read 8,114,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Just found this thread and it makes me so happy and so nostalgic. So many awesome memories of growing up in CG. Been gone a long time, but still remember many of the places people have posted about!

Gulliver - Pre-school/Kindergarten
Sunset Road Elementary
Carver
Ponce
CGHS - Class of '76

Ditto on Carver, Ponce and CGHS '79! I lived 4 blocks from CGHS. It was great to walk home, or if you asked my parents, skip home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2016, 10:58 AM

Quote:
I remember all these! I remember trips to the 5 and Dime with my Mom and if I recall correctly, it was a couple storefronts down from Wolfie's Deli. The smell from Holsum Bakeries was legend and the Egg Nog from Farm Stores drive thru a must at Christmas time.

I honestly think growing up in CG (1958-1976) was an idyllic time. We ran wild and free and our mothers weren't a bit worried. They probably should have been given some of the stuff we got up too, but it was a childhood few today get to experience.
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamian in nc View Post
Me too 1958 to 1976 - our growing up years! I don't remember there ever being a Wolfie's there though. It was Marshall Major's when we used to go there. Maybe Wolfie's before or after that? The 5 and Dime was Red Sunset. Btw, is there still a 5 and Dime in the Grove, right next to Coconut Grove Elementary?

Hearing "The Hub" hits somewhere in my memory. Anyway, Felix C, that restaurant was near that plumbing company across from Sear's I think.

Oh boy, UNC4Me, that eggnog was like no other, wasn't it? The best! I remember when we poured it, it was so thick. Those truly were the good old days!
Quote:
I won't even buy egg nog these days because it won't live up to expectations. The Farm Stores egg nog was almost the consistency of Elmer's Glue!

Maybe Wolfie's was on another street, but I thought it was there at one time. I'd forgotten the 5 and Dime was named Red Sunset. My mom used to take me there after picking me up at Sunset Elementary and I loved to roam the aisles looking at everything.

Good old days for sure! BTW I don't live in CG anymore. Now I'm down the road from you in Charlotte.

McCrory's was near JByron's and Sambo's and then there was Woolworth's too. Miss the CG Xmas parade and the pooper scoopers that would dance at the end of the parade right behind the band, and the drum line. After football games we'd head to Jan's on the mile, or Swenson's.

I remember the 7-11 by Gables High School and how we would go there in droves during lunch hour.

UNC4Me - 90 minutes away in Greenville, SC!

Old 08-25-2016, 12:57 PM

11,409 posts, read 7,721,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldemila View Post
McCrory's was near JByron's and Sambo's and then there was Woolworth's too. Miss the CG Xmas parade and the pooper scoopers that would dance at the end of the parade right behind the band, and the drum line. After football games we'd head to Jan's on the mile, or Swenson's.

I remember the 7-11 by Gables High School and how we would go there in droves during lunch hour.

UNC4Me - 90 minutes away in Greenville, SC!

We always went to Lum's in Coconut Grove after the games. I remember going to the 7-11, but there was also a place right across from school that was a place to get a greasy slice of pizza for lunch. It was a dive, but we all loved it!

I wonder if people from larger places have vastly differing memories. We from the Gables all seem to remember much of the same stuff.

Old 08-25-2016, 04:07 PM

563 posts, read 1,030,169 times
UNC4Me and Eldemila, I remember the Biltmore when it was boarded up too. I never explored it but did think it was spooky looking. Oh, and how about the fountain? They used to put bubble bath in it (probably still do). And oh yes, McCrory's too. I liked Woolworths more. There was an older Cuban lady at the counter and every Sat. my mom and I went there. I'd order either a slice of pizza or a piece of fried chicken. I still can picture the lady. She was very proper looking and very serious. She got to know us though and became friendlier.

And oh yes, Merrie Christmas Park. Thinking of it makes me smile. We lived off Old Cutler Road and I remember biking to Matheson Hammock regularly. What a scenic and beautiful ride.

Now the Lum's I used to go to was on South Dixie Highway right across the street from Poe's Hardware. So you both are here too in NC! If you ever are in Raleigh-Durham, message me!

Everyone else out there...any other memories outside of Coral Gables? Any Miami Springs folks out there? We used to eat at Beefsteak Charlie's and also the 94th Aero Squadron. These of course are cities off the thread of Coral Way, but they still had some memorable restaurants.

Old 08-27-2016, 08:44 AM

11,138 posts, read 15,904,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
We used to eat at the Seven Seas on Red Road just north of Coral Way. I recall it due to the hard hat diver decor outside the main door. Restaurant still there. Diver gone a few years ago.
Seven Seas is still there, but it's just a bar now. The restaurant and seafood market are gone. I grew up in the City of West Miami not too far away from there.

Quote:
Everyone else out there...any other memories outside of Coral Gables? Any Miami Springs folks out there? We used to eat at Beefsteak Charlie's and also the 94th Aero Squadron. These of course are cities off the thread of Coral Way, but they still had some memorable restaurants.
I used to go to Beefsteak Charlie's for the all-you-can-eat boiled shrimp on the salad bar. 94th Aero Squadron is still in its original location just south of the airport on 57th Ave.

Old 08-29-2016, 09:36 AM

1,473 posts, read 1,312,923 times
There was a very old fashione drug store loooking placre place in the turnaround were the Ortodox church was, Ham and Eggs?

Old 08-29-2016, 10:40 PM

Quote:
UNC4Me and Eldemila, I remember the Biltmore when it was boarded up too. I never explored it but did think it was spooky looking. Oh, and how about the fountain? They used to put bubble bath in it (probably still do). And oh yes, McCrory's too. I liked Woolworths more. There was an older Cuban lady at the counter and every Sat. my mom and I went there. I'd order either a slice of pizza or a piece of fried chicken. I still can picture the lady. She was very proper looking and very serious. She got to know us though and became friendlier.

And oh yes, Merrie Christmas Park. Thinking of it makes me smile. We lived off Old Cutler Road and I remember biking to Matheson Hammock regularly. What a scenic and beautiful ride.

Now the Lum's I used to go to was on South Dixie Highway right across the street from Poe's Hardware. So you both are here too in NC! If you ever are in Raleigh-Durham, message me!

Woolworths for me was the grilled cheese sandwich.

I'm usually in Chapel Hill area once or twice a year, but usually just overnight with the BF at Duke. Usually stay off Mt Moriah.

Ok...does anyone remember the blind man that would sit outside the cafeteria on the Mile with his cup. I remember he always had pencils. He was a fairly large man. I can somewhat remember his face in my mind.

Wasn't it Chippy's that had the pickles out on the table??

Old 08-30-2016, 11:43 AM

563 posts, read 1,030,169 times
Karstic, where is the turnaround? I can't place it in my mind right now. Now that you mention the shrimp at Beefsteak Charlie's, I remember that too, MadManOfBethesda. Ah, what delightful memories.

Eldemila, I sure do remember the blind man with the pencils. Wow, had forgotten about that. I can picture him too now that you brought him up. And yes, Chippy's had the pickles. So did that other place on US1 ... Pumpernick's. Pretty much all the Jewish delis have pickles on the table, and the sauerkraut too, don't they? At least they did in Miami...I will send you a message, Eldemila so if you're up here maybe we can meet up.

Old 08-31-2016, 05:41 AM

1,473 posts, read 1,312,923 times
In the confluence of 6th Ave and Coral Way, more or less. Just facing St.Sophia. The old Greek neighborhood. There was also Greek restaurants, a German restaurant.

Old 08-31-2016, 01:07 PM

626 posts, read 1,230,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karstic View Post
In the confluence of 6th Ave and Coral Way, more or less. Just facing St.Sophia. The old Greek neighborhood. There was also Greek restaurants, a German restaurant.
This brings memories.
My first job as a teen, was bagging groceries at the Win Dixie on Coral Way and 13th..14th?
Back then we were "Bag Boys", a term that now days will raise more than an eyebrow.
Don't know if it's still there or not, but there used to be a Navarro's Pharmacy with a lunch counter on the corner of 17th and Coral Way, they used to make a killer Roast beef sandwich.
I lived on 9th and 17th (SW) and the bus used to drop me off at that corner and then walk to work, or just walk all the way to and from work back home.
Those were the days and that's how it was done.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami