Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 03:54 PM

187 posts, read 541,362 times

Advertisements

Hello. Recently I traveled to Boston and I had a lot of people comment on my accent. I always knew my accent wasn't the "Standard" American accent, although I never really thought about it. These people could not guess where I was from and even after I said "Miami", they still looked confused. It seems pretty ironic for Bostonians to be making fun of other people's accent in the first place, but whatever >.< . Well I did some research and found out there is actually a Miami accent and this really interested me because I've lived here almost all my life and never noticed a regional accent.

It should be noted that English is not my first language. I was born in Cuba and moved to this country when I was 5. I was still young enough to learn English fairly easily and can now speak and read/write both perfectly. I do have a fairly distinct accent in Spanish, I guess that comes from living my life partly in Cuba and partly in Hialeah . I do not think my Spanish background influenced my accent in English though, since I was able to separate the two when I was learning since my parents could not speak English at all.

I've taken some online quizzes and I usually get the Western or Midwest accents. I pronounce Mary, merry, marry the same and don-dawn the same. I pronounce all my "r"s and say the "t" in water like an English "d" or Spanish short "r". I don't think my "Miami accent" shows through here, but there were some words that these people in Boston said I pronounced funny. One is "really". I have always said it as ree-lee, with both syllables rhyming with each other. I honestly believed that this was the right way to say it. Apparently not . Also, "freezing". You have no idea how amusing it is to Bostonians when a Miamian complains about the "freessing" cold. After saying it a couple times I realize that I am saying it kind of weird. In some words like reason or physician I pronounce it as an "s" instead of a "z". I don't do this with all words though. When I say price and prize, they sound different. Also realize and ice sound different. I also say Florida kind of funny. These people in Boston kept telling me it was Flaridaahhh, but I always said it like floor-da.
I also noticed that I do tend to say "bro" and "right quick" quite a lot. I am aware that this is a Miami thing and it is more of a dialect than an accent.

Well, from reading this, does it sound like I have a Miami accent? I always knew I had some sort of accent but everyone around me sounds the same so I really couldn't say which one. Also I'm fairly young, I'm in my teens. So maybe this is not a Miami accent and just an "teenage" accent or "urban accent". I'm pretty sure it's not ebonics though
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2011, 04:32 PM

37 posts, read 50,824 times
Default Are you kidding me?

Are you kidding me?

The future of Miami....hahahahhha

50% of high school students don't graduate in Miami

Old 01-03-2011, 04:53 PM

932 posts, read 1,176,968 times
You probably sound hot

Old 01-03-2011, 05:04 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,471,139 times
I certainly have noticed the ever so slight Miammeee accent from young Hispanic females. I actually notice it with Mexicanas too. I find it quite cute. Not sure I ever noticed it in guys.

Nothing to worry about. Bahstonians have no cahnuh on da mahket foah propah English. If anyone bahthuhs yuh, tell 'em I said go pahk theah cahs in Hahvuhd yahd!

Or more fun, give 'em a dollah and tell 'em to go buy an "R".

Old 01-03-2011, 05:23 PM

932 posts, read 1,176,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian08 View Post
I certainly have noticed the ever so slight Miammeee accent from young Hispanic females. I actually notice it with Mexicanas too. I find it quite cute. Not sure I ever noticed it in guys.

Nothing to worry about. Bahstonians have no cahnuh on da mahket foah propah English. If anyone bahthuhs yuh, tell 'em I said go pahk theah cahs in Hahvuhd yahd!

Or more fun, give 'em a dollah and tell 'em to go buy an "R".
It's interesting to me. Boston's accent is clearly influenced by predominantly Irish immigration, while Miami's accent is influenced by Spanish speakers and their offspring. Some Bostonians sound VERY Irish. I wonder if these are 1st, 2nd or even 3rd generation people. I think that Miami and Boston are among the few cities in the US that have a recognizable accent.

Old 01-03-2011, 05:32 PM

187 posts, read 541,362 times
Bostonian08,

I think I know what you mean with the Miami accent in girls. I've noticed it too and it does sound pretty cute lol. I don't know what you mean with the Mexican accent. Are you talking about the LA Mexican accent? I sound nothing like that.

I have noticed the Miami accent in some males though. It is very slight and not like the female one, but it does exist as I have heard several male, even non-Hispanics with it.

I think my accent would be more of a slight Cuban-American accent. Kind of like the Diaz-Balart brothers or Gloria Estefan.

And don't worry, I'm very much aware that the Boston accent is not exactly the most "accurate"

Old 01-03-2011, 07:19 PM

1,946 posts, read 5,382,966 times
Yes, that sounds like the Miami accent. Though you don't hear too many non-Hispanics with one down here, at least in my experience.

Also, reading that some northeasterners tried to convince you that our state is pronounced "Flahrrridahh" made my blood boil. (I see an "o" in the middle of the word, not an "a")

Old 01-03-2011, 08:10 PM

4,968 posts, read 10,191,580 times
There are many accents in the 305

Old 01-03-2011, 09:33 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,471,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glasvegas View Post
It's interesting to me. Boston's accent is clearly influenced by predominantly Irish immigration, while Miami's accent is influenced by Spanish speakers and their offspring. Some Bostonians sound VERY Irish. I wonder if these are 1st, 2nd or even 3rd generation people. I think that Miami and Boston are among the few cities in the US that have a recognizable accent.
Well surely there is some influence from "the Brough" on the Boston accent, but then again there is more than one Boston accent anyways. But more than that I think the English accent has effected the Boston accent. Just watch any old movie from the 40's and you'll see just how recently the English accent was proper here in the USA. There are indeed many actual off the boat Irish here. I will have to disagree about MIA & BOS being among the "few" cities with a recognizable accent though. I can tell NY, CHI, Minn, TOR, ATL, CA, NJ, NOLA, TX, etc etc.

For your curiosity though if you like, sample and of the many various BOS accents below. I think the Brahmins are the most interesting.

The Brahmins:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwvON...eature=related

North End:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kmum-...eature=related

Dorchester:
Donny Wahlberg when he was young right out of Dorchester. The question is is this his natural accent or is he playing this up for show? The guy above of course admits he does.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4bG_...eature=related

Here's Donny W 20 years later. He now speaks more proper english. Wonder why? I think it's just cause he's more grown up and less pretentious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDADEvqsnUA

And of course JFK with a typical suburban South Shore accent:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MS7l6i4w11U

Various accents - Reuben Lindsey at 2:20 is particularly interesting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbSZ8...eature=related

Not for the faint of heart but I can't not include "The Guy from Boston" - all 463 lbs of him repping Florida racing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2oC5...eature=related

Old 01-04-2011, 05:13 AM

2,226 posts, read 5,106,766 times
I think that the Miami accent is epitomized by Manny Ribera in Scarface.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami