U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2011, 05:46 PM

1,003 posts, read 1,437,869 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

I'm a 28 year old Italian woman with lighter skin. I've read some stories on this board concerning racism in Miami. Is it true I will be a minority in Miami? Do other ethnic groups discriminate and demonstrate open racism towards people who appear "white"? Also, I am studying spanish and know a little bit to get by. Is it true to get hired anywhere in Miami I need to be fluent? Are there many bartending/hotel/hospitality/cocktailing jobs available? How's the economy?

I'm in Chicago and hate the winters. I'm considering relocating to Miami. Any thoughts and opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Rate this post positively

Old 01-11-2011, 05:56 PM

4,946 posts, read 9,068,725 times
Unless you are 7 feet tall, pale skinned, Smoked gray blond hair, with gray yellowish eyes and tall necked, you won't pass as white in Miami. So you'll fit in here like any other person, no matter where you go.

Old 01-11-2011, 05:58 PM

2,113 posts, read 4,634,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragazza2011 View Post
Hey all,

I'm a 28 year old Italian woman with lighter skin. I've read some stories on this board concerning racism in Miami. Is it true I will be a minority in Miami? Do other ethnic groups discriminate and demonstrate open racism towards people who appear "white"? Also, I am studying spanish and know a little bit to get by. Is it true to get hired anywhere in Miami I need to be fluent? Are there many bartending/hotel/hospitality/cocktailing jobs available? How's the economy?

I'm in Chicago and hate the winters. I'm considering relocating to Miami. Any thoughts and opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

I am white and have never felt "open racism " in Miami ... that is silly ... Italian chick .. did you know many of the Hispanics in Miami are white and if you are Italian you will look like many of the Argentines and Southern Brazilians many of whom are of Italian extraction and live in Miami ?

I rag on Miami about a lot of things ... but have never experienced racism when I have been down there because I was white !! .. that said I would look in Ft.Lauderdale , Boca Raton or Palm Beach for bartending jobs and leave Miami for partying on the week ends .

Old 01-11-2011, 06:02 PM

South Americans/Central Americans of Italian descent are whiter than Italo-Americans though, so she is just going to fit in like any other person.

Old 01-11-2011, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WINTERFRONT View Post
South Americans/Central Americans of Italian descent are whiter than Italo-Americans though, so she is just going to fit in like any other person.

Central Americans of Italian descent .... never met one .... ???

South Americans yes ( Argentines , Brazilians , Uruguyans and Venezuelans ) .. but I have never seen or met a Guatemalan or Honduran of Italian descent ... those were not exactly "hot spots" of Italian immigration in the early 20th century .. LOL !!

Old 01-11-2011, 06:07 PM

Thank you for your responses.

Quote:
that said I would look in Ft.Lauderdale , Boca Raton or Palm Beach for bartending jobs and leave Miami for partying on the week ends
Do you say this because the economy is rough in Miami?

Old 01-11-2011, 06:08 PM

I thought I met Costa Ricans, but never mind.

There are more Italians down there in SA than in here though ,however most of them (not all) were Northern Italians (Genova, Brescia, Torino), nothing to do with the American Italian people or Southern Italian culture.

Old 01-11-2011, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragazza2011 View Post
Thank you for your responses.

Do you say this because the economy is rough in Miami?

The economy is rough all over ... but these other places can be more civil and much easier on a non Spanish speaking person .. plus they are more laid back and slightly friendlier ... like I said live and work in Ft.Lauderdale , Boca or Palm Beach ... party in Miami on the weekends .

Old 01-11-2011, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WINTERFRONT View Post
I thought I met Costa Ricans, but never mind.

There are more Italians down there in SA than in here though ,however most of them (not all) were Northern Italians (Genova, Brescia, Torino), nothing to do with the American Italian people or Southern Italian culture.
You are correct I met a few Costa Ricans and even Panamanians that were of Italian extraction ... but just a few ... most Latins of Italian heritage are from Argentina , Brazil & Uruguay ... to a lesser degree Venezuelan and Chilean and they are from the North .

Old 01-11-2011, 06:40 PM

Quote:
but these other places can be more civil and much easier on a non Spanish speaking person .. plus they are more laid back and slightly friendlier ... like I said live and work in Ft.Lauderdale , Boca or Palm Beach ... party in Miami on the weekends
Good to know! I appreciate the information. How about cost of living in Ft. Lauderdale, Boca or Palm Beach? How long would you say it takes to get Miami when you want to play from these cities?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami