Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 08:25 PM

2,217 posts, read 4,254,247 times

Advertisements

I have to stay in far south miami for the plants I grow and proximity to the keys/everglades for exploration. If not for my access to nature I wouldn't even be in this state. It's this or become an ex-pat!

I can actually see a vegetation change between broward and dade. The cold is harder in broward.

Old 01-14-2011, 08:27 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,128,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cixcell View Post
You get used to this after awhile. As soon as they start into that tired tirade I walk away. You're best off driving up into broward and trying again. Anything I want done reliably I get done in broward or west palm. I am lucky in that my girlfriend does both our taxes. She has banking in the blood.
It's sad to say, but over the years English speaking Americans have just taken that type of attitude and it's gotten worse with each passing year, so much that now we are looked at like something is wrong with us that we don't speak Spanish. It's to the point that you can get a job in a major corporation (Publix, Winn Dixie, CVS, and the list goes on) and not have to speak a word of English, it's happened enough times to me personally. I don't understand how they can hire a worker who deals with customers that doesn't speak at least some English.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glasvegas View Post
For that, just live in Broward. Broward is somewhat of an improvement in terms of professionalism and common courtesy, but you really have to travel beyond there to experience such things. Even Palm Beach County is a far cry from Miami-Dade and its craziness.
I agree. We go to Broward once a week and do our shopping, go out to lunch there, have a nice time where we are talked to in English EVERYWHERE (with the exception of Sedanos on Pines, but that I expect from there). It's amazing on how you just go over a county line and things just magically seem to change channels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
I never even thought of trying in Broward. I wonder if Hallandale is worth a shot or if its still too close to dade to not speak spanish?
Hallandale use to have a lot of Jewish families living there (as did NMB). I don't know how it compares today but anything has to be better than Miami. If you think NMB is bad, come a little south and get some more culture shock.

I think people who say others "look" Hispanic are just trying to cover their tracks of their own stupidity. I'm Jewish too and I don't look Hispanic in any which way, shape or form, but I get talked to in Spanish just the same. Maybe they all think I'm Jewban

Old 01-14-2011, 08:31 PM

4,968 posts, read 10,155,799 times
I agree with Eldemilla, it's rude to assume everyone speaks Spanish. Worst of all is when they think you don't speak Spanish for reasons of self denial, status, or embarrassment. I studied psychology for some time and I know why they think anyone who doesn't speak Spanish is a self hating "hispanic" (whatever that means).

BTW, what is the Hispanic shape or form??

Old 01-14-2011, 08:33 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,287,656 times
I agree, rude. Reminds me of when a college professor, in front of the class, said he saw my picture and boy was it bad.

Some people, regardless of their education, just aren't very bright.

ETA: Yes, I went and looked and it was a very bad picture, but that's besides the point.

Old 01-14-2011, 08:34 PM

438 posts, read 650,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glasvegas View Post
Spot on. Write a letter to their corporate office as H&R Block are not some tinpot, fly-by-night Miami company and I doubt they'd tolerate that Miami bull**** elsewhere.

Its not going to make any difference. The people at the corporate office won't do a thing. Thats just the way much of Miami culture is---unprofessional and trashy.

Old 01-14-2011, 08:39 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,433,416 times
Yeah all that, or maybe it was her own way of hitting on you. I've seen that approach more than once, I think it's cute. Escandolsa. Start some controversy just to cause some drama. You shoulda told she was kinda hot and you needed some lessons.

Miami women are not like Boston women (thank God). Oh well dude - maybe next time.

How long have you been in Miami Pear?

Old 01-14-2011, 08:44 PM

438 posts, read 650,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
So, I went into H&R Block yesterday to sched an appointment to do my taxes and also ask if they were hiring because I am an accounting major.

I have done my taxes at this H&R block for the past 4 years.

As I am setting an appointment, the woman who is setting it for me interupts me while I am talking and answers her phone "Holla Nina!"

Whatever, I am used to that and I didn't really care. Then, another woman comes up and is just staring at me. She asks me "Hablas Espanol?" and I reply "no".

She then says "But, you look hispanic. How come you don't speak spanish? Where are you from?" I say "I am from Boston and I am Jewish".At this point I don't want to conversate with her so I just look away but I still feel her staring at me. She stared at me like she thought I was lying and goes "Where do you dye your hair? Because I can tell that is dye" I highlight my hair blonde. She also went on to say "You dye your eyebrows too, I can tell". First of all I do not dye my eyebrows and I was very uncomfortable having a complete stranger pick me apart. She was staring at me and it was just completly disrespectful. Who does that?

I basically felt as though she believed I was hispanic and pretending not to be and she wanted to out me.

What is wrong with some people?

I was livid, but at the moment I just wanted to leave. I should have said something but I just wanted to get out of their as soon as possible. I had gotten dressed very nicely and was excited and nervous to see if they were hiring. I just felt so dumb, how could this ignorant woman who was showing off way to much fat-girl cleavage who has no manners or professionalisim have the job I want.

Now thats what I'd call an aggressive job screening! But you did the right thing to leave. They really wouldn't want you for the job anyway, they want somebody Hispanic and who is bilingual. Maybe they only agreed to set up the interview because, according to them, you 'look' Hispanic.

Another way of looking at this situation is that they did you a favor. Would you really want to be working alongside these people all day?

Old 01-14-2011, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD_fla View Post
Its not going to make any difference. The people at the corporate office won't do a thing. Thats just the way much of Miami culture is---unprofessional and trashy.
You hit a nerve here (am I using the right term?)

Anyways, they'll defend each other and make you feel like an idiot if you ever get to, politely, discuss the situation with the upper-lings. The "customer is always right" etiquette does not exist in Miami and it's never applicable unless you are willing to pay a fortune at a exclusive restaurant; I'm not a big lover of that etiquette myself, but sometimes it has to be applicable.

Old 01-14-2011, 08:49 PM

Quote:

Another way of looking at this situation is that they did you a favor. Would you really want to be working alongside these people all day?
Unless he gets lucky applying for a job in Broward, he will have to deal with those kinds of people no matter where he works. They are all over Dade.

Old 01-14-2011, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Now thats what I'd call an aggressive job screening! Maybe they only agreed to set up the interview because, according to them, you 'look' Hispanic.
That's sad. wow

Don't know if to feel angry or sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami