Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 06:32 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,908,318 times

Advertisements

So, I went into H&R Block yesterday to sched an appointment to do my taxes and also ask if they were hiring because I am an accounting major.

I have done my taxes at this H&R block for the past 4 years.

As I am setting an appointment, the woman who is setting it for me interupts me while I am talking and answers her phone "Holla Nina!"

Whatever, I am used to that and I didn't really care. Then, another woman comes up and is just staring at me. She asks me "Hablas Espanol?" and I reply "no".

She then says "But, you look hispanic. How come you don't speak spanish? Where are you from?" I say "I am from Boston and I am Jewish".At this point I don't want to conversate with her so I just look away but I still feel her staring at me. She stared at me like she thought I was lying and goes "Where do you dye your hair? Because I can tell that is dye" I highlight my hair blonde. She also went on to say "You dye your eyebrows too, I can tell". First of all I do not dye my eyebrows and I was very uncomfortable having a complete stranger pick me apart. She was staring at me and it was just completly disrespectful. Who does that?

I basically felt as though she believed I was hispanic and pretending not to be and she wanted to out me.

What is wrong with some people?

I was livid, but at the moment I just wanted to leave. I should have said something but I just wanted to get out of their as soon as possible. I had gotten dressed very nicely and was excited and nervous to see if they were hiring. I just felt so dumb, how could this ignorant woman who was showing off way to much fat-girl cleavage who has no manners or professionalisim have the job I want.

Old 01-14-2011, 06:46 PM

932 posts, read 1,177,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
So, I went into H&R Block yesterday to sched an appointment to do my taxes and also ask if they were hiring because I am an accounting major.

As I am setting an appointment, the woman who is setting it for me interupts me while I am talking and answers her phone "Holla Nina!"

Whatever, I am used to that and I didn't really care. Then, another woman comes up and is just staring at me. She asks me "Hablas Espanol?" and I reply "no".

She then says "But, you look hispanic. How come you don't speak spanish? Where are you from?" I say "I am from Boston and I am Jewish".At this point I don't want to conversate with her so I just look away but I still feel her staring at me. She stared at me like she thought I was lying and goes "Where do you dye your hair? Because I can tell that is dye" I highlight my hair blonde. She also went on to say "You dye your eyebrows too, I can tell". First of all I do not dye my eyebrows and I was very uncomfortable having a complete stranger pick me apart. She was staring at me and it was just completly disrespectful. Who does that?

I basically felt as though she believed I was hispanic and pretending not to be and she wanted to out me.

I was livid, but at the moment I just wanted to leave. I should have said something but I just wanted to get out of their as soon as possible. I had gotten dressed very nicely and was excited and nervous to see if they were hiring. I just felt so dumb, how could this ignorant woman who was showing off way to much fat-girl cleavage who has no manners or professionalisim have the job I want.
Welcome to Miami: the land of ethnic pigeonholing and unprofessionalism. Whoever told you that should **** off back whence they came and take their awful attitude with them, carefully not letting their ass bang the door on the way out.

Last edited by Glasvegas; 01-14-2011 at 06:54 PM..

Old 01-14-2011, 06:53 PM

4,968 posts, read 10,196,322 times
WOW, that was something uncalled for; I literally had it with that kind of people. Is there a way to complain this to authorities? cuz no matter how you want to look at it, you were given a bad treatment due to your identity, and that's a felony (Or at least you can make it look like one) . "You look hispanic" (whatever that means), freaking ignorant POS.

PLUSSSSSSSSSSS

You don't have to explain yourself to anyone. She is in no position to question you about your hair color - that's how they get into you (they want to make you feel insecure).

Old 01-14-2011, 06:53 PM

2,217 posts, read 4,267,078 times
You get used to this after awhile. As soon as they start into that tired tirade I walk away. You're best off driving up into broward and trying again. Anything I want done reliably I get done in broward or west palm. I am lucky in that my girlfriend does both our taxes. She has banking in the blood.

Old 01-14-2011, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cixcell View Post
You get used to this after awhile. As soon as they start into that tired tirade I walk away. You're best off driving up into broward and trying again. Anything I want done reliably I get done in broward or west palm. I am lucky in that my girlfriend does both our taxes. She has banking in the blood.
For that, just live in Broward. Broward is somewhat of an improvement in terms of professionalism and common courtesy, but you really have to travel beyond there to experience such things. Even Palm Beach County is a far cry from Miami-Dade and its craziness.

Old 01-14-2011, 07:01 PM

I never even thought of trying in Broward. I wonder if Hallandale is worth a shot or if its still too close to dade to not speak spanish?

Old 01-14-2011, 07:04 PM

Living in Broward seems nice, but I love my area. I found a nice, safe little area that is like a hidden gem. Its full of North East transplants and young families, everyone here is very nice.

The problem is, its a very small neighborhood and out have to venture out to Aventura or North Miami to get to businesses and such.

Old 01-14-2011, 07:06 PM

1,595 posts, read 2,764,308 times
Wow her attitude and the treatment she gave you was uncalled for. You could call and find out who the manager is but watch out they lie about who he/she is. Sometimes when people call to speak to the manager they put another employee on the phone pretending to be the manager. I would absolutely let the manager or even, if possible, the president of H&R block know about this.

BTW I stopped going to H&R block years ago. They screwed up my taxes so bad I swear I will never go back again. IMO do yourself a favor look for anywhere else but H&R block for job it will look much better if you ever need a resume if you don't have that on it and if you won property it would behoove you to stay away.

Old 01-14-2011, 07:10 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,183,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post

That's exactly what they are asking about YOU! Why don't YOU speak Spanish. OMG, how dare you no speak the correct language. That's how non-Hispanics are made to feel in Miami. English speaking Americans are the minority in Miami and if you live in Miami you are going to be reminded of this each and every day of your life no matter where you go, what you do and who you encounter.

When I am approached in Spanish in public, I look at the person like they have a third eye in the middle of their forehead. I'll say "WHAT?" in plain English and sometimes they'll repeat whatever it is in Spanish they said, and I'll have to say ENGLISH. Othertimes they'll get it and speak in English after the fact. I'll usually say "Well, you had an 80% chance of being right (of me speaking Spanish) Many times if someone says something to me (like asking for a donation) I know what they are out there doing, but they ask in Spanish and I just keep walking. Maybe some think it's rude, but it's rude to assume that I speak Spanish.

When she said to you: Where do you dye your hair? Because I can tell that is dye" I highlight my hair blonde. She also went on to say "You dye your eyebrows too, I can tell". I was very uncomfortable having a complete stranger pick me apart. She was staring at me and it was just completly disrespectful.

Honestly, I would probably have hoped I could come up with something to make her feel just as uncomfortable on the spot like "and I dye my pubic hairs as well, would you like to see them?" Shock the crap out of someone like that. Crude and crass yes, but sometimes you have to be with people who are like that.

Hopefully, you did NOT do your taxes at that particular office, and I would surely write a letter to corporate of your experience.

But as Glasvegas said, "Welcome to Miami!" It's just one of the reasons I'm moving next month after 50yrs of living there.

Old 01-14-2011, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldemila View Post

That's exactly what they are asking about YOU! Why don't YOU speak Spanish. OMG, how dare you no speak the correct language. That's how non-Hispanics are made to feel in Miami. English speaking Americans are the minority in Miami and if you live in Miami you are going to be reminded of this each and every day of your life no matter where you go, what you do and who you encounter.

When I am approached in Spanish in public, I look at the person like they have a third eye in the middle of their forehead. I'll say "WHAT?" in plain English and sometimes they'll repeat whatever it is in Spanish they said, and I'll have to say ENGLISH. Othertimes they'll get it and speak in English after the fact. I'll usually say "Well, you had an 80% chance of being right (of me speaking Spanish) Many times if someone says something to me (like asking for a donation) I know what they are out there doing, but they ask in Spanish and I just keep walking. Maybe some think it's rude, but it's rude to assume that I speak Spanish.

When she said to you: Where do you dye your hair? Because I can tell that is dye" I highlight my hair blonde. She also went on to say "You dye your eyebrows too, I can tell". I was very uncomfortable having a complete stranger pick me apart. She was staring at me and it was just completly disrespectful.

Honestly, I would probably have hoped I could come up with something to make her feel just as uncomfortable on the spot like "and I dye my pubic hairs as well, would you like to see them?" Shock the crap out of someone like that. Crude and crass yes, but sometimes you have to be with people who are like that.

Hopefully, you did NOT do your taxes at that particular office, and I would surely write a letter to corporate of your experience.

But as Glasvegas said, "Welcome to Miami!" It's just one of the reasons I'm moving next month after 50yrs of living there.
Spot on. Write a letter to their corporate office as H&R Block are not some tinpot, fly-by-night Miami company and I doubt they'd tolerate that Miami bull**** elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami