Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 06:05 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,904,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
You said that you have had H&R Block do your taxes for the past four years. Now you are saying that you were using the appointment for a reason to apply for a job?

Oh, come on.

Taxes are incredibly easy to do. I've done them for years and I now do our business books, yet I am not very mathematically inclined. Yet, your mother the accountant, and you, the accounting major, frequent H&R Block, which is also notorious for submitting error-filled forms and then not standing behind their client.

Something is just not right with this thread.

Well its true. My mother has been a Senior Accountant for 10 years, she knows what she is doing but we get our taxes done at H&R block, I don't know what has you all sour and believe me its nothing special that you can do your own taxes so don't go questioning me like I am some online BS-er....I have better things to do with my time.

Last edited by Pear Martini; 01-16-2011 at 06:19 PM..

Old 01-16-2011, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina1686 View Post
I'm sorry to hear that, this BS happens everyday in Miami. Even Hispanics get that attitute in store and work places for not being Cubans (My own experience). There's an incredible amount of racism and attitude in Miami. Cubans against Nicaraguans and Cetral Americans, Colombians against Venezuelans, Nicaraguans against Costa Ricans, Cubans against Mexicans, and so on.... My ex boyfriends used to tell me, that there was a big Jewish population back in the days, not anymore, the majority left to other states.... I hear all this stories everyday and I get sicker of living in this hell hole... As soon as I graduate, I'll leave forever and never come back and I'll make my family leave this place where we get pay only minimum wage and work two jobs to pay a miserable rent... Living here I feel I'm in one of the worst neighborhoods back in my country simply because people here do not have respect for anybody and lack the most basic manners (females spitting in the street, chewing with open mouth, screaming in public places, scratch their asses in front of everybody, etc). Everything is so ridiculous from the cost of living to the jerks that live here... Why did u leave such a nice city as Boston that is full of professionals for this hell hole full of old farts and high school dropouts?
HAHA..your post was informative and also the part about people scratching their backsides in public made me laugh.

I left Boston when I was 17 because I wasn't able to support myself (due to my lack of survival skills, I was a brat growing up). I had ended up in a very nice and expensive apartment in the Back Bay area, mainly due to the landlord's indiffrence to the fact that a lone 17 year old girl would be living and paying rent there. This is illegal in Massachusetts so many landlords of cheaper apartments would not except me.

I was doing fine but I was on the verge of losing my sanity because I had a lot of stress. In the span of one month, I got fired from both of my jobs because I was young and dumb and didn't know how to handle a proper job in the first place.

So, I moved to Miami because my mother had been living here for years. I really didn't want to move, but when I ended up here I pretended I was on a really long vacation which helped.

I actually at times find it easier to get by here than I did in Boston because I am a young and not completly "ugly" female. Down here so many bars and restaurants will hire you just for being a cute girl. In Boston, you really cant use your looks the way you can down here.

But now that I am trying to delve into my intended profession, I am finding it a bit difficult. Oh well, I'll keep trying 'til I eventually move out-of-state.

Do you still live down here?

Old 01-16-2011, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edu983 View Post
Marina: there is no racism in MiA. I think you dont have many friends due to your constant negativity.
This would have been a good post, but the minute you say "There is no racisim" in any city, totally discredits what you are saying. The sad truth is that there is racism everywhere.

Old 01-16-2011, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I said the same thing in an earlier post. And when you lie about a few things it makes me wonder how legitimate is the post.
Thanks for the compliment, I'm one of those educated Jews who grew up in a good liberal town, and went to a good school and will do so until I get my PHD

Old 01-16-2011, 10:37 PM

433 posts, read 952,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina1686 View Post
On what?

If you're Cuban in Miami, you don't face much discrimination, but if you're South and Central American, hell yes!
Baby to let you know the pasture isn't always greener on the other side. I'm an American of Cuban origins and I have experienced racism, classicism, and all types of hatred feelings from Old Cubans, Colombians, African-Americans, Mexicans, Spaniards, Jews and WASP but I will never and I repeat never will play the race or nationality card; even if it is true. Accepting that fact implies that in my mind I have capitulated to the liberal hordes and I will be forever a minority. You know I still believe that in the old USA men are still "created equals." But sometimes a new immigrant group has to pay its dues in the New World just like the Irish, Germans, Italians and Jews; all of them subjected to a more severe assimilation treatment and a non so welcome environment.

Besides, Central Americans, Mexicans as well as African-Americans might experience some degree of racism in Miami but South American! At least I'm not seeing it with Colombians, Venezuelans and Argentinians as a group. Generally those that belongs to the aforementioned groups came with good education, skills or big piles of money, and a free market mentality that helped them to strive as they have already done in Miami. Good for them and their families:OK:. See I'm not a hater.

Additionally, by your usually bashing posts you sound just like the NAACP but instead of always being instigating the WASPs you are chasing the Cubans. Good luck with that you ain't Castro

Old 01-17-2011, 04:31 PM

438 posts, read 653,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marina1686 View Post
i'm sorry to hear that, this bs happens everyday in miami. Even hispanics get that attitute in store and work places for not being cubans (my own experience). There's an incredible amount of racism and attitude in miami. Cubans against nicaraguans and cetral americans, colombians against venezuelans, nicaraguans against costa ricans, cubans against mexicans, and so on.... My ex boyfriends used to tell me, that there was a big jewish population back in the days, not anymore, the majority left to other states.... I hear all this stories everyday and i get sicker of living in this hell hole... As soon as i graduate, i'll leave forever and never come back and i'll make my family leave this place where we get pay only minimum wage and work two jobs to pay a miserable rent... Living here i feel i'm in one of the worst neighborhoods back in my country simply because people here do not have respect for anybody and lack the most basic manners (females spitting in the street, chewing with open mouth, screaming in public places, scratch their asses in front of everybody, etc). Everything is so ridiculous from the cost of living to the jerks that live here... Why did u leave such a nice city as boston that is full of professionals for this hell hole full of old farts and high school dropouts?
lol

Old 01-17-2011, 05:43 PM

438 posts, read 653,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WINTERFRONT View Post
I'm not Cuban, neither Central American. I've been raised around S,C and N Americans half of my life, and have never felt tension going on between those people. I think you should be thankful to live in this place, if, discrimination is one of your biggest fears.
If you've lived in Miami for a significant period of time and have never noticed these cultural 'isms' then perhaps you just haven't been paying close enough attention. The things Marina said in her posts about Miami are spot-on. The racism there is more insidiously subliminal and passive-aggressive, and its much more about disrespect and disregard than it is about hate---but it IS there.

As far as being "thankful for living in this place" goes, for what? Many many years ago Miami used to be cool. Nowadays it really isn't.

Old 01-17-2011, 05:48 PM

4,968 posts, read 10,191,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD_fla View Post
If you've lived in Miami for a significant period of time and have never noticed these cultural 'isms' then perhaps you just haven't been paying close enough attention. The things Marina said in her posts about Miami are spot-on. The racism there is more insidiously subliminal and passive-aggressive, and its much more about disrespect and disregard than it is about hate---but it IS there.

As far as being "thankful for living in this place" goes, for what? Many many years ago Miami used to be cool. Nowadays it really isn't.
Many years ago when Miami had secluded beaches for black people?

Old 01-17-2011, 06:07 PM

810 posts, read 1,578,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WINTERFRONT View Post
Many years ago when Miami had secluded beaches for black people?
and they used to ride in the back of the bus.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-u5C-...eature=related

Old 01-17-2011, 07:29 PM

683 posts, read 1,468,482 times
Marina: I have friends of all backgrounds/ancestries (Cubans, Colombians, Brazilians, Argentines, 1 New Zealander, Dominicans, Spanish, Pto Ricans)

There is NO discrimination in Miami.
Maybe you were born and raised in Chile and have no friends because all of them live in your home country.

Go to church/gym/mdc if want to meet new people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami