U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 08:57 PM

314 posts, read 382,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
I would say that Carol City an infamous neighborhood is now a part of incorporated Miami Gardens,however it was and still is a part of Miami-Dade county.

Miami-Dade has close to 40 independent municipalities,whether they are incorporated or not they still fall under Miami-Dade county including some but not all of the Everglades.
Yeah I've heard of Carol City due to probably it's most famous resident the rapper/ex correction offcier Rick Ross

Would you say Carol City is the core of Miami Gardens?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2011, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by new_park2 View Post
Miami Gardens is a Sh*t Hole..............and Dangerous to drive on
Why would you say that? I mean the few shots/clips of the city I've seen look clean and the homes well kept...I'm skeptical it's as bad as you claim

Old 01-18-2011, 10:01 PM

810 posts, read 820,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brother's keeper View Post
Yeah I've heard of Carol City due to probably it's most famous resident the rapper/ex correction offcier Rick Ross

Would you say Carol City is the core of Miami Gardens?
no

Miami Gardens is a Miami suburban city located in Miami-Dade County, Florida. The city name comes from one of the major roadways through the area, Miami Gardens Drive. Since Key Biscayne was incorporated in 1991, there has been a movement in several unincorporated areas, also known as census-designated places (CDPs) throughout Miami-Dade County to incorporate as cities, often due to a perceived lack of attention or services from Miami-Dade County government. Residents in Miami-Dade county who lived on the Broward County line in the former CDPs of Andover, Bunche Park, Carol City, Lake Lucerne, Norland, Opa-Locka North, and Scott Lake voted to incorporate as the city of Miami Gardens in 2003, although some of those CDPs were not entirely incorporated.

The city was incorporated on May 13, 2003.[4] According to the U.S. Census Bureau's Estimates, the newly created city had a population of 100,842; however, 2004 estimates were 105,887 people, and the most current 2007 estimates of the city government place the population at 108,862.[5] Miami Gardens is the largest city in Florida that has a majority of black residents

Because the city was incorporated in 2003 and many of the CDP's comprising the current city of Miami Gardens were only partially incorporated, much of the demographic information is either incomplete or indeterminable. Please see the individual listing for the former CDP's of Andover, Bunche Park, Carol City, Lake Lucerne, Norwood, Opa-Locka North, and Scott Lake for more in-depth demographic data. The estimated population as of 2005 is 106,566.

Old 01-19-2011, 07:04 AM

888 posts, read 85,558 times
Quote:
Why would you say that? I mean the few shots/clips of the city I've seen look clean and the homes well kept...I'm skeptical it's as bad as you claim
Maybe I can help. I live in the north side of town (you'll never see me in Kendall - maybe Sweetwater or Westchester), and I have to travel frequently to Miami Gardens.

Miami Gardens is a big place, miles after miles of suburban style detached housing. I would definitely consider living in some parts of Miami Gardens, and I am not black/African-American. The racial aspect does not bother me, since we seem to be more open about skin color in Miami than in most other US cities. Plus I am kinda brown color, so I could care less what color you are. Some areas of Miami Gardens are nicer than others. In some neighborhoods, the houses are very well taken care of - and the ambiance is pleasant and peaceful. The yards are kept in great shape. In other areas, people waste their time doing other things - even if they have the time to make their places nice - and they generally let the yards and exteriors of their homes fall into a trashy mess/disrepair. The incomes are generally higher in the well-kept areas (which is interesting, because they generally have less time to keep up their properties).

Old 01-20-2011, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hialeah_Rules View Post
no

Miami Gardens is a Miami suburban city located in Miami-Dade County, Florida. The city name comes from one of the major roadways through the area, Miami Gardens Drive. Since Key Biscayne was incorporated in 1991, there has been a movement in several unincorporated areas, also known as census-designated places (CDPs) throughout Miami-Dade County to incorporate as cities, often due to a perceived lack of attention or services from Miami-Dade County government. Residents in Miami-Dade county who lived on the Broward County line in the former CDPs of Andover, Bunche Park, Carol City, Lake Lucerne, Norland, Opa-Locka North, and Scott Lake voted to incorporate as the city of Miami Gardens in 2003, although some of those CDPs were not entirely incorporated.

The city was incorporated on May 13, 2003.[4] According to the U.S. Census Bureau's Estimates, the newly created city had a population of 100,842; however, 2004 estimates were 105,887 people, and the most current 2007 estimates of the city government place the population at 108,862.[5] Miami Gardens is the largest city in Florida that has a majority of black residents

Because the city was incorporated in 2003 and many of the CDP's comprising the current city of Miami Gardens were only partially incorporated, much of the demographic information is either incomplete or indeterminable. Please see the individual listing for the former CDP's of Andover, Bunche Park, Carol City, Lake Lucerne, Norwood, Opa-Locka North, and Scott Lake for more in-depth demographic data. The estimated population as of 2005 is 106,566.

Okay...I assumed Carol City made up the core of Miami Gardens cause I noticed a significant amount of the population(close to 60%) of the city is from that area....But I guess you would know better than I..being from the region and all

Old 01-20-2011, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynwood View Post
Maybe I can help. I live in the north side of town (you'll never see me in Kendall - maybe Sweetwater or Westchester), and I have to travel frequently to Miami Gardens.

Miami Gardens is a big place, miles after miles of suburban style detached housing. I would definitely consider living in some parts of Miami Gardens, and I am not black/African-American. The racial aspect does not bother me, since we seem to be more open about skin color in Miami than in most other US cities. Plus I am kinda brown color, so I could care less what color you are. Some areas of Miami Gardens are nicer than others. In some neighborhoods, the houses are very well taken care of - and the ambiance is pleasant and peaceful. The yards are kept in great shape. In other areas, people waste their time doing other things - even if they have the time to make their places nice - and they generally let the yards and exteriors of their homes fall into a trashy mess/disrepair. The incomes are generally higher in the well-kept areas (which is interesting, because they generally have less time to keep up their properties).

Yeah what attracted my attention to the place is that it's a predominately AA suburban community right in the heart of Miami(though I do understand there is an Latinos and other minorities in the city)..It's good to know Miamians are so racially tolerant though.. How far would you estimate Miami Gardens is from the city of Miami and Miami Beach?

I'm sad to hear there are lowlifes bringing down such a nice town but there are rough spots in all cities...Hopefully the proper authorities and city council will do more to improve those areas.

Last edited by brother's keeper; 01-20-2011 at 11:49 AM..

Old 01-20-2011, 11:50 AM

2,217 posts, read 2,224,426 times
"Hopefully the proper authorities and city council will do more to improve those areas."

If there's one thing you can count on it's that they won't.
The difference between miami and other places is that most of the city is a rough spot, its the non rough spots that are the exception but you learn to deal with it. Just the way it is.

Old 01-20-2011, 02:01 PM

809 posts, read 1,336,566 times
Quote:
Yeah what attracted my attention to the place is that it's a predominately AA suburban community right in the heart of Miami(though I do understand there is an Latinos and other minorities in the city)..It's good to know Miamians are so racially tolerant though.. How far would you estimate Miami Gardens is from the city of Miami and Miami Beach?

I'm sad to hear there are lowlifes bringing down such a nice town but there are rough spots in all cities...Hopefully the proper authorities and city council will do more to improve those areas.
It's 12-15 miles away from downtown Miami and/or Miami Beach. I work by the stadium and have had to go to Watson island a few times. it's an easy drive. Not down the street; not the other side of the world.

Old 01-20-2011, 05:41 PM

2,743 posts, read 5,714,790 times
To go back to an earlier point, I think in all of Florida, the counties have much more authority than in other states. County run school districts, police departments, fire departments, mayors, libraries, County Hall, etc. So, the county can and does act as a city and regulate and control growth when areas are not part of a city.

Now, in Broward County there was some sort of a mandate that all areas HAD to incorporate some time back...I am not sure of the reason for this, but there previosuly were many unicorporated areas there as well, but no more.

In Miami Dade, many people felt that the county, being so large, was not addressing their local issues and wanted to incorporate to have local power of their resources. This is how Palmetto Bay and Doral formed recently as well.

Miami Gardens was always thought of as a strange community to incorporate because they received more funding from the county than what they gave to it, so obviously they have had a rocky financial road ever since they incorporated. There was also an issue of the community being predominantly black, and wanting to have more direct power over local resources and decisions being that this is a very Hispanic county.

In general, what is now Miami Gardens was always "Northwest Miami Dade" or unicorporated NW Miami Dade. Any unicorporated area in Miami Dade has a "Miami" address, even if it isn't the city of Miami. But in all honesty, you can write any name for the city, as long as you have the correct addy and zip code. Some people write Coconut Grove, FL vs. Miami, and they are in the city of Miami! So if you live in Kendall (unicorporated), you can write Kendall or Miami.

It is quirky now that I think about it, all of these named, unicorporated areas. It has always been this way though, so I guess it makes us unique in that way. Interesting thread though!

Old 01-20-2011, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gymbuff View Post
It's 12-15 miles away from downtown Miami and/or Miami Beach. I work by the stadium and have had to go to Watson island a few times. it's an easy drive. Not down the street; not the other side of the world.

Okay...that's not bad at all
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami