U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 06:09 AM

18,870 posts, read 13,700,870 times
People visit here, and go to the beach every day for a week, and think that is what it is like to live here! Whatever!

This is not Utopia. It is a place that has jobs if you have the right skills. A bit pricey to live here, my apt in Vegas was a palace compared to the ghetto I live in now for the same price.

Old 01-17-2011, 06:25 AM

3,163 posts, read 1,693,945 times
It is the Interne where it is cool to be an iconoclast and it is easy to insult in anonymity.

Old 01-17-2011, 07:08 AM

2,119 posts, read 2,266,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveSunshine View Post
I just want to know why so many people on this forum are negative. It seems like when people ask a question about moving or something all that happens is they get shot down. Some answers are even meant to be realistic just plain negative. So seriously, why are tons many people bringing in so much negativity?
Reality can be negative. I am definitely one who takes ownership of what you and others may see as bashing Miami. I have said it before, and I will say it again that #1 - whatever I post is my opinion, my interpretation, my experiences (or those close to me who've conveyed theirs). #2 I'm born and raised here and have lived here 50yrs (okay 49 1/2, don't want to age myself needlessly) and I have NEVER lived anywhere else, so I feel that what I post has validity and years of knowing Miami behind it.

Someone else living here as long as I have, or longer, may have a totally other point of view, experiences, etc. What's reality for me may not be reality for the next person. I'm sure some of what I encounter someone who lives in Gables Estates does not. Someone who owns their own business will not have the same experiences has someone who's out searching for a job.

Those who post have the right to post what they know, whether they do so with honesty and validity we can't say for sure. As mentioned in another post, you'll have good reviews and you'll have bad, whether it be for a place, thing or a person. Not all negative reviews are valid, but I can't imagine a positive review being put on here that wasn't -why bother?

If someone asks about Miami, or a specific question I feel I can add an honest opinion or knowledge about, I will. People see Miami on the TV and think it's all about the beauty, the beaches, the lifestyle. That's what's conveyed to masses outside our area and people interested in coming here, whether it be for living or vacation look for all the good. Rarely do people do the real homework and look beyond what they've seen on TV.

I believe (and this is my belief) that those who come on City Data are the ones who are coming on here and doing their homework. They are asking either general or specific questions about Miami and it would do no one an ounce of good not to give them the good with the bad, the ugly with the pretty and the reality of what is or could be.

If you do not tell people about the pitfalls that could be in finding a job here with not knowing Spanish, you add one more unemployed person to the masses. One more person that is going to have to tap in to the resources that Miami has already being suckede dry. One more person who may end up homeless. Reality sucks, but people need to be aware that Miami isn't all that and a bag of chips.

I truly wish that the positive posts outweigh the negative posts.
I loved growing up here. It wasn't until the 80's that I saw it go downward. My entire family moved here during the late 50's and all have remained. I'm the first one to leave. I've talked about leaving since before I had kids, but for many reasons I stayed. Now the kids are gone and have moved to other states because they don't even want to live in Miami and I've decided I'm way over due for a move. I don't want to live in Miami anymore, I don't enjoy anything about it really, other than family and friends.

Since the 80's I wanted to move to the Carolinas. I did my homework when I really started to get serious and found NC wasn't for us, so I started looking at SC. I started visiting the area and visiting the SC CD forum. I asked lots of questions and I looked at a lot of resources that were on line. I drove myself around the various areas, looked at many homes and neighborhoods (realtor said I had the thickest files (yes, plural) ever and narrowed my choices down. While I feel I may have bit off a little more than I could chew when it comes to the house I purchased in regard to renovations I thought may be easier said than done, literraly, I feel the information I received on CD as well as other research I did on my own, I made the right decision. Right now, the only thing I can say that I regret is not realizing being over a mile away from RR tracks is just not enough - light sleeper and can hear the whiste blowing in the middle of the night. People say I'll get use to it

Quote:
Originally Posted by WINTERFRONT View Post
Or those ones who won't stop bashing Kendall

How negative is that!!
Tell me one good thing you do know about Kendall that you can post? I've lived in this area for 30yrs now, W Kendall to be exact. Personally, I can't find a single thing about it other than my family and friends who live here. Please, don't keep all the good you know to yourself, do share. Seroiusly, I honestly can't think of one. Oh, just did - we have an ice skaing rink! Oops, two - we have a zoo. But for those who live here on a day to day basis and who don't go to the zoo often, or aren't young and training for a place on the US Ice Skating Team, I'd like to know what you may know that's so good about this area?? Trust me, if I had something good I could think of, I'd post it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecofancy View Post
I've said it before, but i think people seek out a way to vent if they have an exceedingly positive or negative experience. This goes for product reviews, apartment reviews....anything really. It all needs to be taken with a grain of salt. No doubt some of the issues discussed here are real, but it comes down to some people just not being a good fit. Works for some, doesn't for others.

my .02
Very true. And things change, and people change. What may have been once a good fit may no longer be due to many different circumstances.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveSunshine View Post
I agree that there are certain people who are not fit to be in certain places. I also agree that no place is perfect. But there are some people who post things on here that I don't think would be happy anywhere they lived and treat this site as a place to vent.
True again, everywhere there is problems. There is NO Utopia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian08 View Post
Miami has some issues Americans in most parts of the country are not used to. There's a certain level of incivility not familiar to many people from many places. All the rants all over this board spell out the issues in depth - there's obviously no need to recant.

I lived and thrived in MIA for 3 years on and off between 86 and 91. I found it to be a great exciting place and I loved my neighbors. I had a great time, but no doubt I did have to deal on a day to day basis with a LOT of crazy people. My personal opinion is that is the biggest problem with Miami. There's just too many out and out utterly crazy people which is why everyone is so hardened. You just gotta be to deal with the nuts.

But if you can handle the wackos and get past that, there's a whole lot more people who are really a lot of fun. It is a very fun place if you fit. I fit as the youngest kid in the neighborhood - some happy go lucky white boy who's very nice and is trying to learn Spanish. I made lots of friends easily. Dozens, hundreds - old, young, rich, poor, cool, crazy, whatever. It can be done.

Best bet - go down there for a month. You can go right to where I used to live - the South Beach Hostel at 235 Washington. It was called the Parkside when I lived there. Anyways, it's dirt cheap, stay there for three weeks, and get a feel for the place. It was a blast when I lived there and I'd be happy to be there today. Check it out, see if you can deal with Miami - not the Hilton Hotel version - and if you can - hell - 75 degree days in January is pretty nice. It was what I was looking for - a year round beach vacation (with occasional work). Sounds good to you, try it. What's to lose?

And here's some real good advise for you. Stay on the island, stay OFF the mainland. Except for Brickell and a few spots, Miami the city is what they are all complaining about. Miami Beach is separated by two nautical miles of water and is a world away. Once I got work on the Beach I only went to the mainland for occasional shopping. There's no need. Miami Beach has 100K residents and probably twice as many tourists packed on that island every day and multiply that figure by 5 on weekends and by 10 for festivals when all the people from MIA come to party. It's never boring in MB. Never never never! Just like you could go to the South Side of CHI if you want you can go to MIA but don't live there. Live on MB. Walk to the ocean every day. That's what you want to do!
Sounds more like a very cushy life, able to be back and forth through various years, having a blast and only have to occasionally work,walk on the ocean every day is not something most people have the luxury to be able to do. No wonder you loved it, things were not only much different just those few years ago, but you didn't really LIVE in Miami, you only occasionally went to shop there.

And the real good advice given, just MHO, it's not good advice. Why would you tell someone to segregate themselves to the island and stay off the mainland and not really see and experience all of Miami? Want someone to have culture shock when they have to go the the airport, or want to go shopping at Dadeland Mall? Yes, you can survive never leaving MB for any other reason than going to the airport at MIA. That's exactly what's happened down on 8th St. Cubans have made their own little world that you don't have to leave the area, you don't EVER have to speak a word of English, you can find anything and everything you would need to live just on 8th Street alone. Try taking some of these people up to Broward on Las Olas and see what happens - culture shock and a language barrier most likely.

Same for those who would be silly enough to stay on Miami Beach and not go elsewhere, put them in a little bubble and make believe that the areas beyond those 2 miles don't even exist.

Just my 2 cents

Old 01-17-2011, 07:18 AM

221 posts, read 221,408 times
Why so much negativity? Because it's the truth. Miami isn't the greatest city to live in and has many faults.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami