Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2011, 04:45 PM

932 posts, read 1,177,400 times

Advertisements

I think we can all agree that this forum has been getting way too heated on both sides of the argument. It's a shame, because there are some very good writers who post here and some interesting characters. I take some of the blame for this. I am guilty of using this forum as a place to blow off steam, when that's really not what it's for.

When I created an account with City Data, I hoped to engage in sensible debates about Miami (and other topics). I didn't expect to agree with everyone, but I was actually more interested in discussing how Miami can be improved, along with discussing the social dynamics of Miami out, to at least help me try to figure this place out.

I do have a lot of "issues" with Miami, but I really don't hate it at all. To be honest, most of the problems I have with Miami pertain to the drivers more than anything else. The rudeness that others perceive really doesn't bother me, because I do not expect someone working in a store or a reataurant to kiss my ass. I don't care about the Spanish think, except for the fact that it makes job hunting a tad more difficult. The heat and humidity don't really affect me and I can at least appreciate the beautiful weather we enjoy at this time of year, while the rest of the country freezes its ass off. I am still just as fascinated with the skyline as I was 7 years ago. There are also days when I actually embrace Miami's chaos and the fact that it is radically different from any other major US city. When I do leave, there are many aspects of Miami that I'll miss, including the overall cleanliness of the place and the air we all breathe here.

The problems I have with Miami are probably 50% me, 50% Miami. I cannot blame Miami for the fact that I have never been a beach person, nor do I enjoy clubs or bars to socialize in. I am an outdoor guy who likes mountains, forests, hiking, kayaking, camping and I like places that are old and steeped in history. I cannot blame Miami for those shortcomings as it's not that kind of place. I also accepted long ago that I was never going to make friends here and I'm fine with that. Both my wife and I have friends in other parts of FL and the US, but I must admit that it'd be nice to have a few guys who I could shoot the **** with, even just as acquaintances. I can't blame Miami for that either. I have noticed that people here tend to stick to their circles of friends they've known since kindergarten in some cases. Unless you're super-outgoing (which I'm not), it's tough to break into those circles. It becomes extra-hard when there's also no common ground to begin with. In short, I am too un-macho and too reserved to cut it with most guys my age here and it's not for lack of trying on my part.

Looking at it rationally, I agree with a point that another poster made about Miami; that there simply aren't enough places for people to mingle. For most of us, our only human contact is from behind the wheel of a car, where everyone is stressed and angry, or in supermarkets (stressful environments). Comparatively few people here actually walk or cycle that much, because Miami isn't the most pedestrian or cyclist friendly place (not a bash, an observation).

As for Miami, it's by far nowhere near a lost cause. It just needs good leadership and the will to crack down on corruption, reckless driving, investment in parks, schools and mass transit and a crackdown on crime that gets to the root of the problem, rather than "Shoot first, ask questions later".

I am adult enough to admit that 1) I use this forum to vent too much and 2) that my unhappiness in Miami is not just caused by the stresses of living here specifically, but is also a result of me and Miami being a "bad match", not the fault of Miami itself. Why am I here, you ask? I'm here because my wife has an ailing mother here who got very sick at one point, but she is better now and very independent and as selfish as it may sound, my wife and I have to live our lives in a place that's more "right" for us, where we can start a family. My wife who is Cuban and born and raised here dislikes Miami even more than I do, for the same reasons. She would probably even kill me if she caught me on a forum posting about the things I like about Miami (no s**t!).

Anyway, we all need to take a chill. I don't want to use the special olympics joke as that's bad taste, but arguing over the internet *is* retarded. I will also do my best to avoid "venting" on the days when Miami gets the better of me (which unfortunately is often LOL).

Old 01-17-2011, 05:13 PM

221 posts, read 453,117 times
People brake for NO REASON, seriously, nothing, they just randomly brake in the middle of the road. There is no sense of community, everyone is in it for themselves, hence MiaME. Also, enjoy your serving of attitude at most SF fast food restaurants staffed by high school drop outs. And, your healthy dose of dance/house music from famous artists such as Ushershudup, m&m's, and $0.50 from 75% of the cars on the road usually driven by a-holes.
Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami