Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 09:53 AM

2,217 posts, read 4,251,710 times

Advertisements

Wholeheartedly agree. This is the way I see things myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2011, 11:22 AM

4,836 posts, read 11,950,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC809 View Post
Yes, it's true. Another thread on how truly sad this place is.

I moved from NYC (I'm from Manhattan) and though I come from one of the greatest cities in the world, I was able to put that behind me and give this place a chance without being biased or subjective.

Even though I've been here for almost 3 months, I can't help but express how terrible of a city it has been.

-People are rude Ok every city has rude people
-People are egotistical (Why - because you drive a 3-series and live in a crowded apartment with 3 roommates? Please get over yourselves, you live in South Florida) Of course people in NYC are not like this at all? I will say cars are more important in Miami then they are in other places but that is due to the poor public transportation
-Lack of culture/diversity (anybody that doesn't speak Spanish is a visitor counting down the days of when they can leave) That just shows a lack of cultural diversity on YOUR part. There are so many different hispanic cultures in Miami it is crazy, also lets not forget about the HUGE Haitian population and very large, Italian, Russian and French populations, Miami even has some of the largest African populations in the US. Besides for NYC and LA give me a city in the US more diverse
-No public transportation (what you have in place are Disney rides) I agree with this, but hey look at Dallas, Atlanta, LA newer large cities bad public transit
-No music scene (no jazz, terrible orchestra, no indie rock, experimental, etc)
-You don't pick up your dog's crap
-You don't have any interesting/new restaurants Well your comparing this to NYC but Miami does have some of the newer and best restaurants in the country
-Lack of being in the know - understanding global issues/topics No comment here my friends are all educated maybe your just hanging out with the wrong people
-Lack of education
-Terrible traffic and poor city planning The city planning was not great but that could be said about many cities. Traffic really is not that bad, I live in DC too now that is bad traffic! LA, Chicago much worse then Miami
-The worst drivers (and I'm from NYC). No idea of what's going on around you when driving.I agree 100%, NYC are not bad btw
-Too materialistic (blow your $30k salary on a designer purse)
-3rd highest city with salaries near poverty level
-The list goes on.

I honestly can't wait to take what I'm here for and move on to a real city.
One of the problems is you are comparing Miami to New York City! A city that is basically the capital of the world and an old city. Remember Miami is only 112 years old! Much younger then ANY other city close to its size and importance in the Western World.

Quote:
To reinforce the assertion that there's a significantly large number of rude people in Miami -

I have a dog and I walk him 3x-4x a day, mornings, lunch, afternoon and the evening. 9 out of the 10 people I walk past, either don't make eye-contact, say a simple "hello" or even make any acknowledgement that there's another human being passing only 2 feet away. I, on the other hand, will always either smile or just say a simple "hello" because that's the kind of person I am.

What is it with these people? Did I catch them on a bad day (which seems to be everyday)? Even if I'm not walking my dog and I'm simply in transit, there's absolutely no air of friendliness. It could be the fact of my location (Brickell Ave) but I'm sure that doesn't provide reasonable justification.

I just don't really get it. It is a part of the culture (hispanic, latino, cuban) here?

As mentioned above, I come from a hard city full of personalities but I've found it surprising that people, more often than not, are friendly and aren't afraid to have a simple interaction.

I've come to the conclusion, in my short time here, that Miami is just not for me. It may be for some people (and I'm happy for you) but unfortunately your reputation, which I refused to accept prior to moving down here, has been fully agreed upon.

You have beautiful weather in the winter and I'm gratefully thankful for that.
Well at least you got something right, Miami is not for you. But really why in the world is it important for strangers to talk to you? I have been to New York City over 15 times and strangers do not say hi to me! That is a small town southern thing to do, when I am walking the streets in DC people do not say hi or smile why should they!? I do not get this complaint. Some of the rudest things that have happened to me have happened in New York and DC but do I think these are horrible places of course not, every place in the whole world has some people that are rude. But I have NEVER been to a large city that random people say hi or smile for no reason.

And another ignorant statement for you thinking that not saying hi to people is part of Hispanic culture? Really? You are really going to say that??

Old 01-20-2011, 12:56 PM

809 posts, read 2,307,459 times
^^ And when we (hispanic/latinos) do say hello to perfect strangers, then we are rude for interrupting their conversation or whatever other reason they can concoct. Or we are criticized for saying hi with the ''Miami accent!"

Old 01-20-2011, 01:34 PM

810 posts, read 1,571,464 times
USA population: 307,000,000
Miami population 2,500,000(0.8% of USA population)
White persons not Hispanic 437,000 (0.14% of USA population)

Americans are free people. They are free to relocate. 99.9% of Americans choose not to live in Miami. You can do the same and leave if you are unhappy here. You can make small sacrifices. Save some money and work at Walmart in Asheville NC, or at Starbucks in NYC, rent a room until you are able to get a decent job. Miamians are not your mommy or your female dog. We don't owe you anything. You work, I work too. You pay rent, I pay mine. You pay taxes I pay mine too. No free lunch in America... for anybody. No one cares if you great grandmother founded this country, uncle Sam only cares for your tax contributions. Welcome to America.

There are millions of people in this world who don't have such choice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ode3...eature=related

Old 01-20-2011, 06:17 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,872,161 times
Quote:
To reinforce the assertion that there's a significantly large number of rude people in Miami -

I have a dog and I walk him 3x-4x a day, mornings, lunch, afternoon and the evening. 9 out of the 10 people I walk past, either don't make eye-contact, say a simple "hello" or even make any acknowledgement that there's another human being passing only 2 feet away. I, on the other hand, will always either smile or just say a simple "hello" because that's the kind of person I am.

What is it with these people? Did I catch them on a bad day (which seems to be everyday)? Even if I'm not walking my dog and I'm simply in transit, there's absolutely no air of friendliness. It could be the fact of my location (Brickell Ave) but I'm sure that doesn't provide reasonable justification.

I just don't really get it. It is a part of the culture (hispanic, latino, cuban) here?

As mentioned above, I come from a hard city full of personalities but I've found it surprising that people, more often than not, are friendly and aren't afraid to have a simple interaction.

I've come to the conclusion, in my short time here, that Miami is just not for me. It may be for some people (and I'm happy for you) but unfortunately your reputation, which I refused to accept prior to moving down here, has been fully agreed upon.

You have beautiful weather in the winter and I'm gratefully thankful for that.
i just want to say I do this at times. I just notice whenever I'm polite or friendly to men down here they try to hit on me. Even when I make eye contact with a guy they say "wow!" or check me out when they are with their wives and then their wives give me an anger stare. Its not even repspectful the way they do it. Sometimes its nice, but usually its overt, rude, and disrespectful.

Men will most likely respond to this by thinking I'm arrogant, but I'm sure most women here can agree with me.

I'm American, and I'm from a town where everyone says hello on the street and is very polite.

Old 01-20-2011, 07:00 PM

932 posts, read 1,172,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
i just want to say I do this at times. I just notice whenever I'm polite or friendly to men down here they try to hit on me. Even when I make eye contact with a guy they say "wow!" or check me out when they are with their wives and then their wives give me an anger stare. Its not even repspectful the way they do it. Sometimes its nice, but usually its overt, rude, and disrespectful.

Men will most likely respond to this by thinking I'm arrogant, but I'm sure most women here can agree with me.

I'm American, and I'm from a town where everyone says hello on the street and is very polite.
They are hitting on, make no mistake. My advice is to keep your guard up, even if you come across as a *****. This isn't the northeast. Guys here are far from being reserved.

Old 01-20-2011, 07:05 PM

4,968 posts, read 10,147,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gymbuff View Post
^^ And when we (hispanic/latinos) do say hello to perfect strangers, then we are rude for interrupting their conversation or whatever other reason they can concoct. Or we are criticized for saying hi with the ''Miami accent!"
I do say hello

Old 01-21-2011, 12:46 AM

4,836 posts, read 11,950,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post

Exactly your from a town. I do not know how large this town is but in the three cities I have lived in. Miami, Washington D.C. and Barcelona Spain if I went around smiling and saying hi to everyone people would think I am insane or on drugs.

Old 01-21-2011, 12:51 AM

5,187 posts, read 6,904,872 times
Miami is anything but disappointing,I am just disappointed that I am not there visiting this beautiful somewhat tropical city.

Old 01-21-2011, 01:16 AM

31 posts, read 53,227 times
Quote:
People are egotistical (Why - because you drive a 3-series and live in a crowded apartment with 3 roommates? Please get over yourselves, you live in South Florida)
Whoa, that sounds quite arrogant don't you think? You say get over yourself you live in south florida, as to day where you're from is what's really important.

Quote:
Too materialistic (blow your $30k salary on a designer purse)
You're from NYC, I'm from NYC. Have you been outside of Manhattan to the boroughs? You will find people blowing their salaries on bags, shoes, jewelry, hair, scarves, hats, glasses, watches, mittens, gloves, and cars. I mean really.

You also sound a bit ridiculous. "people don't make eye contact wahhh wahhh" Please... peopled don't make much eye contact in New York. Why do you need eye contact so badly and for others to talk to you when you're walking your dog so badly? It's not rude, it's a little crazy you are saying it is.

Other comments.

Fat people - most of America is fat. Deal with it.

Old people - Doesn't Florida have the stereotypical image of retirees?

No Fashion - Not your fashion isn't no fashion, and even if there were truly no fashion, why is it so important?

Last edited by Scanner0; 01-21-2011 at 01:34 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami