Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 06:22 AM

203 posts, read 427,014 times

Advertisements

Yes, it's true. Another thread on how truly sad this place is.

I moved from NYC (I'm from Manhattan) and though I come from one of the greatest cities in the world, I was able to put that behind me and give this place a chance without being biased or subjective.

Even though I've been here for almost 3 months, I can't help but express how terrible of a city it has been.

-People are rude
-People are egotistical (Why - because you drive a 3-series and live in a crowded apartment with 3 roommates? Please get over yourselves, you live in South Florida)
-Lack of culture/diversity (anybody that doesn't speak Spanish is a visitor counting down the days of when they can leave)
-No public transportation (what you have in place are Disney rides)
-No music scene (no jazz, terrible orchestra, no indie rock, experimental, etc)
-You don't pick up your dog's crap
-You don't have any interesting/new restaurants
-Lack of being in the know - understanding global issues/topics
-Lack of education
-Terrible traffic and poor city planning
-The worst drivers (and I'm from NYC). No idea of what's going on around you when driving.
-Too materialistic (blow your $30k salary on a designer purse)
-3rd highest city with salaries near poverty level
-The list goes on.

I honestly can't wait to take what I'm here for and move on to a real city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2011, 07:26 AM

2,217 posts, read 4,252,325 times
Curious, what made you decide to come to miami?
You're coming from one of the few cities in the country that "has it all".
Anything you pretty much pick you are going to be disappointed with.

again, what is it that you were interested in that drew you to miami?

Old 01-18-2011, 07:32 AM

203 posts, read 427,014 times
I came here for work and I have 1.5 yrs left. I hope things change because that's along time.

Old 01-18-2011, 07:39 AM

check out my reply to you on the chicago to miami thread

Old 01-18-2011, 07:43 AM

810 posts, read 1,571,777 times
Don't be so ungrateful. You came here for work, you didn't come here for fun. Some people out there don't have jobs, you know? There are millions of places that are great...on paper, but you can't make a living in those places. Ask Comsense, native Floridian living but not making a living in Asheville, NC. Nice people and good drivers are not gonna put bread on your table and a roof over your head.

If you can move back or move somewhere else do it. If you can't afford it but still have a job, count your blessings and be careful what you wish for. You might get fired or lay off and be forced to move back.

Old 01-18-2011, 07:46 AM

hialeah. dont worry. i gave him some stuff to look at on the other thread. that should interest him.
one of the things he doesnt realize is that there is alot of stuff here that would interest him its just that none of it is very well advertised. there are musical events in small venues in fort lauderdale even but if you arent on certain mailinglists you have no idea. nothing gets advertised here so you have to look for it. some fairchild and fruit and spice events do get advertised on WLRN our NPR station but if you dont listen to it you would have no idea.

Old 01-18-2011, 07:57 AM

2,534 posts, read 2,245,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC809 View Post

I moved from NYC (I'm from Manhattan) and though I come from one of the greatest cities in the world, I was able to put that behind me and give this place a chance without being biased or subjective.

Even though I've been here for almost 3 months, I can't help but express how terrible of a city it has been.

-People are rude
-People are egotistical (Why - because you drive a 3-series and live in a crowded apartment with 3 roommates? Please get over yourselves, you live in South Florida)
-Lack of culture/diversity (anybody that doesn't speak Spanish is a visitor counting down the days of when they can leave)
-Lack of education
-The worst drivers (and I'm from NYC). No idea of what's going on around you when driving.
-The list goes on.

Miami always has come across as a tourist vacation type city. I wouldn't choose to live there.

Old 01-18-2011, 08:28 AM

221 posts, read 450,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC809 View Post

-People are rude
-Lack of education
-The list goes on.

Funny thing is, as a life-long Miami resident myself, I have to agree with you on everything you just said.

Old 01-18-2011, 11:29 AM

3,644 posts, read 6,282,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBlueBlue View Post
Funny thing is, as a life-long Miami resident myself, I have to agree with you on everything you just said.
Yeah, I tend to agree. The OP isn't the first NewYorker to come here and realize that Miami is not just New York with palm trees (which is what they seem to think before they move here). The only thing New Yorkers hate about New York is the weather so they have this dream of moving to Miami. Then reality hits them in the face. My friend from New York stuck it out for about 5 years commuting from Brickell (the only part of Miami he could stand). Eventually he moved back to New York City.

Old 01-18-2011, 12:43 PM

I don't understand how they could confuse the two. One new yorker I knew lived in cities all over the country and even got bored in san francisco which has most of what they're looking for with the public transportation, food and all. face it new yorkers -- there is no where else you will be satisfied with
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami