Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 08:01 PM

3 posts, read 4,938 times

Advertisements

It doesn't matter which area of Miami I'm standing on,vulgar,profane dirty language is even in the mouth of the children. I can't walk 10 minutes without hearing a good repetitive flow of bad words that sound straight out of a Jerry Springers show. I wonder if it has anything to do with English not being a first language here and so they choose the most familiar english terms to communicate with each other? I myself dont have anything against the occasional spillage of these words, but what's around me is just beyond atrocious!English is not my first language either but I try not to sink so low and learn new words not to feel behind. So what do you think is really going on with miami mouths? Can we do something about it?

Old 01-20-2011, 08:19 PM

2,217 posts, read 4,251,710 times
Never gonna happen. That's just the way it is here. Curse words are frequently used in the everyday workplace as well. That's just how it is.

Old 01-20-2011, 08:30 PM

3 posts, read 4,938 times
hmmm I think we can start to do a better job by funding our schools. It's no surprise Florida education ranks low compared to the rest of America. It's almost as if they expect you to fail and won't even try to raise standards but will lower them to make it "easier"

Old 01-20-2011, 08:30 PM

4,968 posts, read 10,147,968 times

Old 01-20-2011, 08:34 PM

You'll never get greater funding for public schools in florida as long as it is full of retirees who don't want any increase in taxes. I have actually heard retirees say "why should I pay for public schools when I don't have kids?" and "paying taxes was not part of my idea of retirement"

Old 01-21-2011, 12:02 AM

3,848 posts, read 9,280,371 times
A word is only what you make of it.

Old 01-21-2011, 01:01 AM

1,084 posts, read 3,855,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post
A word is only what you make of it.
this but i hate cursing as it makes you sound uneducated.

Old 01-21-2011, 01:14 AM

31 posts, read 53,227 times
Cursing doesn't make you uneducated. It depends on the context. Cursing when upset or when in pain relieves stress, stress shortens lifespan. I see this as good. Cursing in everyday conversation simply because you can't find another word that conveys the same emotion I don't see as an issue. Curse words add needed emphasis without having to use longer words or longer sentences. It's simply more convenient to refer to someone as a female dog versus explaining their behavior in more detail.

I do believe that people think of cursing as too much of an issue and become prudish to the idea of others cursing, they then believe that others who curse are uneducated or sound it. Breast and thighs were curses at one point and yet today they aren't.

The fact of the matter is that if cursing is becoming so common place our modern day curses may dwindle in vulgarity, just making them everyday but more adult orientated words used in informal situations.

That is crazy, that is really messed up, that is f'ed up. All of these convey the same thing but the last one would be seen as uneducated? This is could be because one believes that people who curse can not control themselves. Is the lack of control what makes them uneducated? Or is it because they didn't use a word 'you' find appropriate. It's all just sugar coating.

Old 01-21-2011, 07:41 AM

I like curse words in so far as a sprinkling of them adds spice to a conversation. You CAN have an intellectual conversation and use curse words sparingly.

Old 01-21-2011, 09:37 PM

18,082 posts, read 18,678,059 times
The last thing this place needs is more money dumped into the money pit called schools.

I do not care if people cuss, it is just a word, it is their freedom to speak any manner which they want, especially in a private conversation among themselves.

"I wonder if it has anything to do with English not being a first language here and so they choose the most familiar english terms to communicate with each other?"

Why in the heck would two people who speak Spanish as their first language, and English as their second language, speak English among themselves?

"So what do you think is really going on with miami mouths?"

If you think Miami is bad, you should go up north to Tennessee or some other redneckistan state, they cuss like a drunk sailor.

"Can we do something about it?"

About what? Why does it bother you what words people use among their own conversations?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
View detailed profiles of: