U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-26-2011, 03:40 PM
pbd pbd started this thread

3 posts, read 1,556 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I have a great opportunity for a new job in the Miami area. My starting salary will be $60-85K. It will be my wife and I (early 40s) and teenage son 14. My concerns are as follows:

-Is this enough to live comfortably in this area?
-What areas are recommended (good schools, low crime, affordable housing, close to beaches, shopping, entertainment etc)?
-I maybe able to work from my new home most of the time and only travel into Miami once a week so maybe areas further away for Miami maybe better (up to 1-1.5 hr radius)??? Recommendations?

I currently live in Huntsville, Al and the school are terrible and the cost of living is also high but the people are wonderful. I would like to move closer to the beach and enjoy life with my family more than I have and this maybe the time to do it!

Thank you in advance,
PC
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2011, 03:47 PM

1,086 posts, read 1,699,695 times
Making $60 to $85 a year with a family is cutting it tight. Your wife would need to get a job too. You could rent a condo in the beach, and be really close to the water, however, once again, the budget might be tight. There is really no other place in a 1 hour radius from Miami. Miami itself is more than 2 hour radius if you facture in the crazy traffic. Your best bet would be to move to Aventura or South Broward Couty, there are several areas in those locations that could be good for your family, including your 14 year old son. To recap:
60 to 85 might not be enough to be comfortable.
Broward schools are better than Dade (Miami)
Crime is high all over the city, unless you want to pay a high mortgage or rent
Anything close to the beach will be expensive, but try Aventura or Hollywood Beach
There is shopping and entertainment all over the city
Good luck!

Old 01-26-2011, 05:31 PM

2,170 posts, read 2,537,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbd View Post
Hello,

I have a great opportunity for a new job in the Miami area. My starting salary will be $60-85K. It will be my wife and I (early 40s) and teenage son 14. My concerns are as follows:

-What areas are recommended (good schools, low crime, affordable housing, close to beaches, shopping, entertainment etc)?
-I maybe able to work from my new home most of the time and only travel into Miami once a week so maybe areas further away for Miami maybe better (up to 1-1.5 hr radius)??? Recommendations?

I currently live in Huntsville, Al and the school are terrible and the cost of living is also high but the people are wonderful. I would like to move closer to the beach and enjoy life with my family more than I have and this maybe the time to do it!

Thank you in advance,
PC
That's a broad range of salary. $25K is a BIG difference and would make a big difference on where/how you can live in Miami, or an area around.

Would it be enough to live comfortably in this area - all depends on you. Do you try to keep up with the Joneses, do you eat out a lot, do you have to have the latest and greatest big boy toys, drive nice cars, etc. etc.?

Schools are terrible here as well, cost of living is high too, but you have wonderful people - read the threads already posted on this forum and you'll get a feel for the people, the experiences of those who've recently moved to Miami.

Please do your homework, know what you are "wishing" for in thinking of movig here. I've lived here all my life, almost 50yrs - I can't wait to leave.

And one more thing - be sure you are moving here for the right reasons, not for salary. What may sound like a nice salary from where you are coming from may not be for here. Could I live on that salary - absolutely, like a Queen, but my lifestyle and costs are not the norm.

Read posts on this forum. There is a LOT of good information that's been posted time and time again. Just do a post and you'll find answers to probably all your questions without even having to ask them.

Good luck!

Old 01-26-2011, 05:38 PM

18,868 posts, read 15,681,742 times
Broward County is probably a nicer area to live in, but as for Miami, you won't be able to live close to the beach, and have good schools. Pinecrest is the best area for schools, Palmetto High School is one of the top 20 high schools in the nation. It is not expensive to live in that area, rent can be around $1000 for a two bedroom apt, condos are more. When I say that Pinecrest is "far" from the beach, it is like a 25 minute drive...so that is relative.

Old 01-26-2011, 06:39 PM

10,062 posts, read 5,450,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbd View Post
Hello,

Thank you in advance,
PC
It's doable but it may not be the lifestyle you are accustomed to. Compared to Alabama, maybe it will be a lot different, meaning your dollar may not stretch as far here as it does where you are, currently. But, if, as another poster stated, you aren't trying to keep up with the Jones' and you don't eat out all the time, can withstand a bit of heat in the summer, (keep the a/c bills down), and don't expect to live in a lavish home, you can definitely be comfortable here.

I would recommend something further north than Miami if you don't have to drive to work every day. Start from Broward County and go up. The people are SO much nicer, things work smoother and you'll probably be happier.

As for schools, I can't say because I don't have kids. What I can tell you is that I have co-workers who have grown up in Miami and I'm not real impressed with their education. Maybe the schools in Broward are better? I don't know.

Oh and if you want lower crime, you really don't want to live in Miami. I would look up some statistics online and do some comparing between Miami and some cities and towns north of here that are within your monthly driving range.

Keep in mind, 1.5 hours doesn't get you too far north because the people here have no idea how to drive.

Some recommendations, (and some may disagree but I've found these areas to be rather pleasant): Hollywood, Ft. Lauderdale and, if you can stand it, commute wise, even W. Palm Beach.

Just remember, the closer to the beach you are, the higher the cost of living. If you're willing to live away from the beach, maybe a hop in the car would get you there in 20 minutes or less, you'll find the prices start to go down...for everything.

Old 01-27-2011, 08:05 AM

2,217 posts, read 2,239,476 times
living here you and your family will change in ways you could never imagine
all of your personalities will change.
just know that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami