Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2011, 02:23 PM

1,978 posts, read 4,406,544 times

Advertisements

I think Rock was actually pointing out the hypocrisy of Glass Vegas's post. He wasn't launching a criticism at you.

i feel your pain bro, having to be stuck out in the cold. I used to live in Colorado myself, and I hated it!

As far as moving to Miami is concerned, I think think it's important to go in with our eyes open, not having any false illusions that some of our problems won't follow us out here -- and by "you", I don't mean just you, MiamiLife, but anyone who happens to see this and is planning a move across the country to the 'promised land' of Miami. If you are not outgoing and have social skills, or if you have trouble relating with the opposite sex, your problems are going to be magnified 10x in Miami. If you had difficulty dealing with traffic and driving situations there that isn't going to change when you get to Miami. Miami has problems. That's not going to change anytime soon.

I think the biggest component of what you'll run up against when you move to Miami is that when you get there you'll spend months, possibly more trying to figure out WHAT IT IS. People just don't seem to know what to make of it, or how to assimilate what they're seeing into their preconceived notions, most of which came from the entertainment media. The run down and seemingly sinister appearance of what you see in some areas, abandoned buildings, empty lots, sometimes paper trash strewn wildly, is just the result of storm damage that people lacked the funds to repair. I find the use of space is different than in most cities. Somehow more spread out forcing you to walk further distances to get places. It gives the streets a different look too. One of comparative abandonment. Government officials are historically corrupt there, just like in most cities, except in Miami the political system often manifests in weirder funnier ways. I guess that's how you have to look at it -- as entertainment! You have to laugh it off and accept the ridiculous Felliniesque social structure and general weirdness of Miami. Where else can you find a downtown area that would be a perfect film location for a Zombie movie after 5pm when the rollup doors come down! Miami is weird! How could you expect anything else from a primordial jungle swamp that has been dressed up with pink and teal concrete but somehow supports 12ft draco type reptiles, 15 foot rattlesnakes*, wall-climbing red scorpions and 20 foot palm trees and the figs that strangle them! You're on the western corner of the Bermuda Triangle for God's sake! So just remember the original purpose that attracted you to Miami in the first place**, keep your sense of humor and focus on what it was that brought you there! Oh yeah, and keep your eye on the Miami New Times!

Footnotes:
* No exaggeration! one was actually just found!
** unless your reason was "going to expensive party clubs" every weekend!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2011, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLTKing View Post
Did the moderators abandoned the Miami forum??
Forget about that, man! Let's just rescue this thing ourselves before we get gonged out of existence by ending our transmissions with the offending party. A lot of good threads have needlessly gone the way of the Dodo bird because someone was not able to ignore an avoidable conflict. The key is that sometimes you have to swallow your indignation and just let that one slide. If an offending poster persists, then you just ignore them. Maintain an inviolable aura of prestige by not taking into account any of your detractors! It's a fantastic axiom to apply in your everyday life!

Old 02-16-2011, 02:36 PM

2,217 posts, read 4,266,706 times
social skills dont matter. most people dont want anything to do with you. people mostly stay to themselves. i meet people from all over the country who say they've been here x years and still have no friends.

contract labor is wholly unreliable as are many city services. expect to become a huge DIY'er in every aspect of your life because you are basically on your own since affordable quality labor is a rare thing to find.

in the workplace. prepare for very unethical coworkers with criminalistic tendancies, prepare for work to be taken away from your slacker coworkers and given to you. thats just how it is. find your niche. you will be promoted after you are given everyone else's work.

Old 02-16-2011, 02:58 PM

1,947 posts, read 3,323,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptoid Humidian View Post
I think Rock was actually pointing out the hypocrisy of Glass Vegas's post. He wasn't launching a criticism at you.

i feel your pain bro, having to be stuck out in the cold. I used to live in Colorado myself, and I hated it!

As far as moving to Miami is concerned, I think think it's important to go in with our eyes open, not having any false illusions that some of our problems won't follow us out here -- and by "you", I don't mean just you, MiamiLife, but anyone who happens to see this and is planning a move across the country to the 'promised land' of Miami. If you are not outgoing and have social skills, or if you have trouble relating with the opposite sex, your problems are going to be magnified 10x in Miami. If you had difficulty dealing with traffic and driving situations there that isn't going to change when you get to Miami. Miami has problems. That's not going to change anytime soon.

I think the biggest component of what you'll run up against when you move to Miami is that when you get there you'll spend months, possibly more trying to figure out WHAT IT IS. People just don't seem to know what to make of it, or how to assimilate what they're seeing into their preconceived notions, most of which came from the entertainment media. The run down and seemingly sinister appearance of what you see in some areas, abandoned buildings, empty lots, sometimes paper trash strewn wildly, is just the result of storm damage that people lacked the funds to repair. I find the use of space is different than in most cities. Somehow more spread out forcing you to walk further distances to get places. It gives the streets a different look too. One of comparative abandonment. Government officials are historically corrupt there, just like in most cities, except in Miami the political system often manifests in weirder funnier ways. I guess that's how you have to look at it -- as entertainment! You have to laugh it off and accept the ridiculous Felliniesque social structure and general weirdness of Miami. Where else can you find a downtown area that would be a perfect film location for a Zombie movie after 5pm when the rollup doors come down! Miami is weird! How could you expect anything else from a primordial jungle swamp that has been dressed up with pink and teal concrete but somehow supports 12ft draco type reptiles, 15 foot rattlesnakes*, wall-climbing red scorpions and 20 foot palm trees and the figs that strangle them! You're on the western corner of the Bermuda Triangle for God's sake! So just remember the original purpose that attracted you to Miami in the first place**, keep your sense of humor and focus on what it was that brought you there! Oh yeah, and keep your eye on the Miami New Times!

Footnotes:
* No exaggeration! one was actually just found!
** unless your reason was "going to expensive party clubs" every weekend!
I agree with everything you have written here. I have said all along that Miami is an emerging city. It is not a fully matured city with all the bells and whistles that you get in a NYC, Boston or San Francisco. However, I don't think Miami is only full of thieves, lying/cheating employees and bad ignorant people. Miami has some great things going for it and I think the future is bright for Miami. Other posters think differently. They post all these bad things about Miami without any recognition of Miami's quirks and goodies. I like your post...keep them coming. And you didn't use any filthy language like Glasvegas so you're a good person...kudos to you for your classy representation of Miami. We need more like you in here.

Old 02-16-2011, 03:20 PM

4,968 posts, read 10,195,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLTKing View Post
Did the moderators abandoned the Miami forum??
I hope so, Doggiebus doesn't like that much.

Old 02-16-2011, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cixcell View Post
social skills dont matter. most people dont want anything to do with you. people mostly stay to themselves. i meet people from all over the country who say they've been here x years and still have no friends.

I dealt with the same thing here in San Diego. I went 5 years before I found anyone I could "trust" that didn't do drugs or want me to take them to Tijuana (possibly while they had drugs on their person) to get drunk and party, or that wasn't in some way or another dodgy or unreliable! It was culture shock for me. Everyone that looked like what a Boulder New Waver was into Boy bands and some of the lamest rap, and were trying to be gangsters! (!?!?) The people who I thought looked a lot like my punker friends in Boulder turned out to be skinheads! Corporate culture out here just simply sucks, but that may not be a location thing as much as it is a corporate thing.

contract labor is wholly unreliable as are many city services. expect to become a huge DIY'er in every aspect of your life because you are basically on your own since affordable quality labor is a rare thing to find.
Already am.

in the workplace. prepare for very unethical coworkers with criminalistic tendancies, prepare for work to be taken away from your slacker coworkers and given to you. thats just how it is. find your niche. you will be promoted after you are given everyone else's work.

Dealt with that too but I may have to deal with that again. I'm prepared to make a lot of sacrifices in order to make this thing happen. I just feel that Miami is worth it.

Old 02-16-2011, 05:37 PM

2,217 posts, read 4,266,706 times
reptoid: ok thats fair.

Old 02-16-2011, 06:04 PM

49 posts, read 215,370 times
Born/raised in Miami --moved out as soon as I possibly could. Let's forget a little about the road rage and the declining home values. Let's look at the schools: most of them have developed massive security over the years---and with good reason: shootings, drugs, bathroom rapes, gangs, etc... Now, let's take a look at the neighborhoods: most homes have illegally built efficiencies that can house up to an additional family of four for the right prace depending on how dumb that family is. So, this means that in a normal household, there could be between 8-10 people: 4+ in the regularly legal home and 4 in the efficiency. So, parking is a bear. Not only do they have vehicles parked in their drive way, but they also take up all the area along the road too. HOME Space: what space?????? the house next door is about 3-5 ft away from yours. They can hear everything, so forget privacy.

Someone mentioned high end jobs being available? WHERE???? in Miami? There are millions of people fighting for the same job and they are going to hire the one that will work for less, which is usually the person that had absolutely no education. So, if you have a degree and live in Miami it's as good as your toilet paper....wait, I love my Charmin so it's probably worse than my Charmin! Another thing: in Miami, English is not an option. If you speak English, it's the wrong language and people look at you like YOU are the foreigner. I'm all for being bilingual, but apparently the English part of the BI-lingual word is non-existent there.

So, for those of you who love Miami because you don't need to have much expectations about yourself to get a job, buy a house, and keep up with your neighbors...more power to you. For the rest of us that enjoy breathing fresh air, raising our kids in communities where they can play outside since we know all the neighbors, and taking nice walks in the afternoon or early evening....we have moved on to greener pastures.

In my family, the younger generation is in love with this place and I continue to wonder why? I do believe it's because they do not know any better and have never ventured out of their comfort zone.

Old 02-16-2011, 07:20 PM

2,113 posts, read 5,076,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glasvegas View Post
Weren't you leaving this forum? You threw a hissy fit a few weeks ago and "quit" the Miami forum. Guess you couldn't resist coming back, even though you don't even live here?
I went to school in Miami , fly almost every other week out of MIA , and I live less than fourty miles away ... yes I "quit" the Miami Forum ... so I lied . I tell you what when you stop posting I will too ... how is that ?

Old 02-16-2011, 07:23 PM

2,113 posts, read 5,076,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cixcell View Post
rock newman: google the original bug shirt. thats what they are. yeah theyre mosquito nets that work awesome and thin enough to still keep you cool. that was taken in november. after the fall

cool down but when its still wet and lush for good photography.
Good idea to wear in the summer ...last time I went canoeing in the Glades with friends .. we were eaten alive by mosquitoes ... certainly makes sense to wear the "bug shirt "
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami