Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 10:19 AM

1,947 posts, read 3,322,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricaneMan1992 View Post
Do we have a miserable housing market now? Definitely! Foreclosures continue to pour in, and rental rates are shooting up for those of us that don't have 20% and a FICO of 750.

Does this make Miami a miserable city? Perhaps if you're an agent or if you went through a foreclosure (or if you read CD all day). However, even in this market the vast majority of homeowners (renters) still have jobs and are still paying their mortgage (rent). Maybe it's just runner's high hangover from the marathon, but I for one am not among the miserable.
Nice to meet you! Where have you been hiding?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2011, 10:25 AM

4,836 posts, read 12,005,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLTKing View Post
Sorry to burst your bubble Angel, but here are the REAL statistics when it comes to MIA:

List of busiest USA airports (boardings)
1. ATL with 42M
2. ORD with 31M
3. LAX with 28M
4. ....
5. ....
14. MIA with 16M

List of busiest USA airports (passengers)
1. ATL with 88M
2. ORD with 64M
3. LAX with 56M
4. ...
5. ...
12. MIA with 16M

List of busiest WORLD cargo airports
1. Memphis with 3.6 Million Metric Tonnes
2. HK with 3.4 Million Metric Tonnes
3. Shanghai with 2.5 Million Metric Tonnes
4. ...
5. ...
12. MIA with 1.5 Million Metric Tonnes

List of busiest USA cargo airports
1. Memphis
2. Ted Stevens in Anchorage
3. Louisville
4. MIA

Not so competitive in my opinion....considering that we have spent billions of dollars on the new terminal.....and it still feels like a third world airport...
Need to comment on this. Miami is the 2nd busiest airport in terms of international passengers in the U.S. It is first in international cargo in the US. Your passenger number is COMPLETELY OFF. MIA has over 30m passengers in 2009. And being 4th in U.S. cargo airports is VERY impressive since Louisville and Memphis are mega hubs for UPS and Fed Ex. Anchorage is a huge fuel stop and also a big hub for Fed Ex and UPS. Lets also not forget Miami is a two airport city with FLL. Miami is an aviation mecca of the US one of the biggest aviation towns in the country and the world.

Anyway about Miami itself. It has been making these stupid list for years now. Great they get some stats and make a list. Since when did we ever take forbes list seriously? When FP or Time Magazine or the Wall Street Journal comes out with a list and puts Miami on the worst cities then I will start paying attention. Miami has its problems as any city does. What are Miami's largest problems besides for real estate (that is a problem almost everywhere).
Education: It is bad and hopefully something that can change however DC has a bad education problem so does LA.
Fraud Corruption: This needs to stop. We has people need to stop electing idiots to office. I do my best its time the rest do.
Public Transit: Miami is a young city people always seem to forget this. It takes time for a city to look like DC, San Fran or NYC. Miami is a good 100 years younger then all these cities! But the county, state and federal government need to fund more transportation projects. But hey look at Dallas, Houston, Atlanta, LA, PHX all have transportation problems too!!
Immigration has been a problem too this is more of a federal government problem and also a problem with the attitude of the immigrants that find themselves in Miami. I cant stand the ones that feel that they should not learn english and think everyone should speak spanish.

Traffic is a problem in EVERY CITY CRIME IS A PROBLEM IN EVERY CITY Besides for the things I listed which are big problems Miami has the same problems many cities around the US have. Miami has always been looked down upon by many and will continue to be looked down upon. Miami has a bad rep with people and a good rep with people it all depends on who you ask. But the LAST thing that really matter is a forbes magazine list.

Last edited by FlyMIA; 02-08-2011 at 10:43 AM..

Old 02-08-2011, 10:29 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,729,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiLIFE View Post
Why do some many people stay in such a miserable place with no jobs, no opportunity for the future, child predators, poor schools, and awful humid weather? I always wonder when I read posts in this forum what anchors a person to a place where they say there are no jobs, no future, no nice people and the threat of crime at every street corner? It almost seems unintellegent to stay in a place described that way? It defines rational reasoning. I am not saying you're not intelligent. But, it is a mystery how a place that is so awful and that offers no prospects for the future is able to keep so many unhappy people around? Why don't they leave? They clearly aren't staying for the jobs, or the nice people, or the good infrastructure. What is it that keeps them?
Who says I'm not working on doing just that? You do need money to leave, ya know. I have a bit of savings but considering the economy right now, it is better to have more saved up rather than just hightail it out of here.

I have plans, I have a goal and I have to continue living here while I work towards that goal. Were the economy better, I'd probably be out of here right now but I have to think rationally, not emotionally, when it comes to moving. We don't always get to do what we want, WHEN we want to do it. But we work our tail feathers off to get to do what we want, in the future.

Old 02-08-2011, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorMama View Post
Who says I'm not working on doing just that? You do need money to leave, ya know. I have a bit of savings but considering the economy right now, it is better to have more saved up rather than just hightail it out of here.

I have plans, I have a goal and I have to continue living here while I work towards that goal. Were the economy better, I'd probably be out of here right now but I have to think rationally, not emotionally, when it comes to moving. We don't always get to do what we want, WHEN we want to do it. But we work our tail feathers off to get to do what we want, in the future.
Ok, so you're one of the Miamians that got trapped there... I wonder why the others have stayed so long?

Old 02-08-2011, 10:40 AM

932 posts, read 1,177,281 times
Quote:
Ok, so you're one of the Miamians that got trapped there... I wonder why the others have stayed so long?
Many are trapped here. The economy is still in bad shape, so if you have a decent job, it's worth sticking it out for now. Also, many are trapped because they have never lived in other parts of the US and may be somewhat afraid of change, especially if they have dependent family members.

Old 02-08-2011, 10:40 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,729,935 times
Quote:
Now that, I cannot answer. I do wonder the same thing myself, sometimes. I know some people who are working hard to leave and I know some people who are happy just to sit around and complain about it all. It's the latter I do not understand.

Edit: Glasvegas, good point about some being afraid of change. It IS hard for me to understand this since I've moved around my entire life, (military brat), and I'm not afraid one bit of change...but I do try to understand that some people have never done this and it IS a big deal to pick up and leave everything you know, behind. Still, I would think that if you truly were that unhappy, you could find a way.

Old 02-08-2011, 10:47 AM

3,848 posts, read 9,322,033 times
I quit looking through it when Chicago came up significantly more "miserable" than Detroit.

Old 02-08-2011, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glasvegas View Post
Many are trapped here. The economy is still in bad shape, so if you have a decent job, it's worth sticking it out for now. Also, many are trapped because they have never lived in other parts of the US and may be somewhat afraid of change, especially if they have dependent family members.
I would never be afraid of change if meant leaving misery behind....living a life of misery would just be awful. I would welcome change. I didn't think there were any decent jobs in Miami from reading on this board. At least that's a small piece of good news you just revealed..."read all about it, Miami has some decent jobs!"

Old 02-08-2011, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post
I quit looking through it when Chicago came up significantly more "miserable" than Detroit.

that's funny...it does make you wonder how good the research is if Detroit ranks better than Chicago...

Old 02-08-2011, 11:02 AM

2,217 posts, read 4,266,387 times
"Since when did we ever take forbes list seriously?"

we better. since companies determine where to place their businesses based on news like this. if they keep seeing us winning awards for bad things they're going to look elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami