Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 08:20 AM

5,528 posts, read 7,490,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBlueBlue View Post
Buy a Sun Pass or avoid toll-roads.
This.

don't want to pay? drive through traffic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2011, 09:13 AM

1,946 posts, read 5,382,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackTheRipper View Post
This.

don't want to pay? drive through traffic.
Problem is paying and driving through traffic go hand-in-hand when taking the Snapper Creek Expwy during rush hour.

Old 02-14-2011, 09:18 AM

2,217 posts, read 4,265,482 times
it's to milk the tourists who are just passing through on the way to the keys

Old 02-14-2011, 11:41 AM

5,187 posts, read 6,937,844 times
Take the 826(Palmetto Expressway) exiting from the Golden Glades Exchange off of I-95,take the 826 until it ends around Glenvar Heights and then take U.S. 1 the rest of the way.

WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' PASSES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-15-2011, 04:47 AM

9,319 posts, read 16,655,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorMama View Post
I think the point is that most tourists will not know about the charge to drive down the roads. How will they be informed? What will happen if they drive through in a rental car and they didn't know about the tolls? Will they send the bill to the rental car agency and that agency track those people down when they get back home to Europe or where ever they are from? How will that work? Good question.
Yes that was the point of my question. Rental cars may be covered by Sun Pass but what about people from out of state that are driving their own cars, motorcycles or RVs? Spoke to a few people at RV Park in the Keys and they were unaware of this as they have been here since December. I can't understand how this will work unless everyone who doesn't have SP gets a violation.

Old 02-15-2011, 05:44 AM

5,015 posts, read 8,176,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
Yes that was the point of my question. Rental cars may be covered by Sun Pass but what about people from out of state that are driving their own cars, motorcycles or RVs? Spoke to a few people at RV Park in the Keys and they were unaware of this as they have been here since December. I can't understand how this will work unless everyone who doesn't have SP gets a violation.
They just charge their credit card. It's probably in fine print in the rental card agreement. Recently my DH had to rent a car when his was being fixed and the dealer has Enterprise at their localtion. He wasn't told about their policies on the tolls. When we returned the car I pointed out a little desk plaque type sign explaining it.

This should help:

AET Frequently Asked Questions

15. What happens if I am in a rental car?
Florida’s Turnpike Enterprise has entered into agreements with companies that offer rental car customers an easier way to travel Florida’s toll roads. Under the agreements, the agency companies provide the Turnpike with constantly updated lists of rental car fleet license plate numbers so that the Turnpike can bill the companies. Each company has a different payment arrangement so be sure to review your rental agreement carefully.

16. What if I rented a car out of state?
It is no different than renting a car in Florida. If renting from a participating company, the Turnpike will bill the company for the tolls.

17. Which rental car companies offer toll programs?
Car rental companies participating at this time include Advantage, Avis, Alamo, National, Budget, Dollar, Enterprise, Hertz, National, Sunshine, Thrifty, Penske Truck Leasing and Ryder. Some companies charge a daily or weekly fee, plus the toll incurred. Others provide unlimited toll usage for a set per day or per week amount. We recommend that customers check with their rental car company for all fees and that they read their car rental agreement carefully. For information about participating rental car companies, go to www.SunPass.com/rentalcar. More rental car companies will be participating in these tolling programs, so be sure to ask when renting a vehicle.

18. What happens if I don't sign up for a rental agency's toll program?
A bill for the toll will be sent to the rental car company, who will match the toll charges with the person renting the car. The rental car agency will pay the toll bill on your behalf and charge you extra fees for their time and service, based on your car rental agreement. We strongly recommend that customers check with their rental car company for all fees and that they review the rental agreement carefully.

19. What happens if I rent a car from a company that does not offer a toll program?
An image of the vehicle license plate will be captured on camera and a bill will be issued to the registered owner of the vehicle. The rental company will pay the toll bill on your behalf and charge you extra fees for their time and service. We strongly recommend that customers check with their rental car company for all fees and that they review the rental agreement carefully.

20. What if I am in a rental truck, like U-Haul?
An image of the truck or trailer license plate will be captured on camera and a bill will be issued to the registered owner of the vehicle. Again, the truck leasing company will pay the bill on your behalf and charge you extra fees for their time and service. We strongly recommend that customers check with their leasing company for all fees and that they review the rental agreement carefully.

21. What if I am driving a loaner or if someone uses my vehicle and goes through the toll?
The Toll-by-Plate bill will be mailed to the registered owner of the vehicle. You should advise the owner that you drove on a toll road and that he/she will receive a bill in the mail. At the same time, you are responsible for the toll payment if someone uses your vehicle.

Old 02-15-2011, 08:42 AM

30,251 posts, read 23,719,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldemila View Post
They just charge their credit card. It's probably in fine print in the rental card agreement. Recently my DH had to rent a car when his was being fixed and the dealer has Enterprise at their localtion. He wasn't told about their policies on the tolls. When we returned the car I pointed out a little desk plaque type sign explaining it.
And for those who are driving their own vehicles around here, from out of state, they will just get a bill mailed to them? Seems like a lot of work to go through for a dollar, (or whatever the charge is now, I use SunPass, don't have a clue), because they have to match that license up with the person and their address and send out the bill and wait for it to come back...and what if that person never pays?

Old 02-15-2011, 10:06 AM

5,015 posts, read 8,176,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorMama View Post
And for those who are driving their own vehicles around here, from out of state, they will just get a bill mailed to them? Seems like a lot of work to go through for a dollar, (or whatever the charge is now, I use SunPass, don't have a clue), because they have to match that license up with the person and their address and send out the bill and wait for it to come back...and what if that person never pays?
That's where the $3 service fee comes in to play per month, on top of whatever charges the person has racked up as well.

Old 02-16-2011, 07:20 PM

87 posts, read 256,684 times
For sure that car rental companies will include SunPasses as part of their packages for travellers and I assume they will inform their customers as well about this new regulation.

Anyhow, this is another effort in continuing the surveillance society that has been started since 9-11. This is another way of our government trying to control people's money by keeping track on how they are spending it.

ACLU has been warning the public on this issue since 2004... check this report http://www.aclu.org/images/asset_upl...e381_37802.pdf

Have you noticed that Miami-Dade Transit (MDT) does the same kind of surveillance by means of their Easy Card? When you get an Easy Card with MDT, you have to register it... of course by providing your personal information. Then, you will note that your entries and exits are being recorded in their computer system. ACLU told us!!

Last edited by flmover; 02-16-2011 at 07:27 PM.. Reason: adding hyperlink

Old 02-18-2011, 11:08 AM

2,975 posts, read 4,937,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flmover View Post
Have you noticed that Miami-Dade Transit (MDT) does the same kind of surveillance by means of their Easy Card? When you get an Easy Card with MDT, you have to register it... of course by providing your personal information. Then, you will note that your entries and exits are being recorded in their computer system. ACLU told us!!
Well, you don't "have to" register an Easy Card. Online registration is only if you want to use the online system to check your balance or add funds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami