Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 07:59 PM

747 posts, read 2,105,625 times

Advertisements

I lived in Miami for 45 years, but moved to Charlotte NC in 2008. My parents also moved near here. My Dad is 85, and has different agencies pick him up and take him different places (swimming therapy, club meetings, etc).
My Father In Law (82) still lives in Miami. Are there any groups that do something similar? He lives in the Kendall area (Sunset and SW 137 Ave), and is Cuban (bilingual). My MIL doesnt want to leave the house, so they both just sit all day. Any suggestions? They dont drive, and my SIL picks him up and takes him to Publix once a week, but thats it. Thanks in advance!
And I miss Publix a lot. And Popeye's and Pollo Tropical too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2011, 01:47 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,180,701 times
Senior LIFT Center. Miami, Florida

See if they have a shuttle, or have a private driver come and pick him up and take him there. NO idea of the cost but I'm sure you can find someone reliable.

You could alway visit Greenville - moving there next week and they have Publix! It's not THAT far.

Old 02-17-2011, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldemila View Post
Senior LIFT Center. Miami, Florida

See if they have a shuttle, or have a private driver come and pick him up and take him there. NO idea of the cost but I'm sure you can find someone reliable.

You could alway visit Greenville - moving there next week and they have Publix! It's not THAT far.
Thanks for the tip, Ive sent them an email with some questions.
We actually go to Spartanburg, its 84 miles each way from our house. The Str Mgr special orders us stuff, and we go once a month to pick it up. Next year they are opening a Store on the NC/SC border, about 25 miles away, cant wait!

Old 02-17-2011, 04:19 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,357,132 times
He may be eligible for STS, and take that to the senior center for activities. Miami-Dade County - Transit - Special Transportation Service (STS) (http://www.miamidade.gov/transit/rider_sts.asp - broken link)

Old 02-17-2011, 04:29 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,180,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
He may be eligible for STS, and take that to the senior center for activities. Miami-Dade County - Transit - Special Transportation Service (STS) (http://www.miamidade.gov/transit/rider_sts.asp - broken link)
Quote:
He may be eligible for STS, and take that to the senior center for activities. Miami-Dade County - Transit - Special Transportation Service (STS)
I was going to mention the same thing but for the life of me couldn't remembr any more than the ST - on the way home I saw one of their trucks - but you beat me to the punch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealialex View Post
Thanks for the tip, Ive sent them an email with some questions.
We actually go to Spartanburg, its 84 miles each way from our house. The Str Mgr special orders us stuff, and we go once a month to pick it up. Next year they are opening a Store on the NC/SC border, about 25 miles away, cant wait!
I was envious about you having Trader Joes - I would drive there to go to it, but now we have one in Greenville! That's good to know Publix is expanding in to your territory, but it's nice that there's so many other options - as you know, in FL it's Publix and Winn Dixie and WD and Publix.

Old 02-18-2011, 02:26 PM

Is he unhappy? Maybe he wants to stay home.

Old 02-18-2011, 02:33 PM

2,217 posts, read 4,266,387 times
Trader Joes *weeps*
you know they determine where to put the stores based on the ratio of master degrees in the local population. which means we're screwed here. I used to live within 30ft of one.

Old 02-19-2011, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Is he unhappy? Maybe he wants to stay home.
Unhappy? Probably not. The problem is that he just sits all day, and his health is failing due to inactivty. Eventually, once he is more active, maybe he could go for walks, etc. But for now, we just want to get him out of the house and find activities for him.

Old 02-19-2011, 08:41 AM

Quote:
I'll look into that, thanks! That takes care of the transportation, now where should he go? There has to be a place where older Cuban guys go to hang out! maybe not here in Charlotte, but in Miami there must be a ton of them, even in Kendall...

Old 02-19-2011, 01:03 PM

Well, you can see, he may be happy just puttering around the house. No matter what you think he should be doing, or would be happier doing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami