Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 09:40 PM

2,217 posts, read 4,267,078 times

Advertisements

hud: my coworkers tell me the nightlife has gone downhill over the years.. basically its priced out of the market for most people now i'm told. everything is obscenely expensive.

yes broward/lauderdale or even palm beach county would be better for you i think.
they have quieter beaches too.

expensive and unfriendly describes miami too. ive met a number of new yorkers who turned tail and fled back to new york saying it scared them how rude people were here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2011, 10:02 PM

1,264 posts, read 2,439,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cixcell View Post
hud: my coworkers tell me the nightlife has gone downhill over the years.. basically its priced out of the market for most people now i'm told. everything is obscenely expensive.

yes broward/lauderdale or even palm beach county would be better for you i think.
they have quieter beaches too.

expensive and unfriendly describes miami too. ive met a number of new yorkers who turned tail and fled back to new york saying it scared them how rude people were here.
No kidding?
I have looked at Miami thinking it would have a good nightlife, open, friendly people as opposed to the hustle-bustle in the northeast.

I also would have assumed broward/lauderdale would be bad fits for a single in his 20s, they would be more for people with kids.

Old 02-20-2011, 03:37 PM

2,217 posts, read 4,267,078 times
honestly i dont see alot of single girls in miami. i see many more up in broward county. of course. my girlfriend and i joke that its the perfect place to move if you were afraid of your partner straying because its slim pickings out here. i only ever see a handful of attractive young women when i go to lunch in doral and i cant afford any of them. glad i brought mine! for the most part i only see hoochies and thugs around. miami beach may be different but i'm never over there. this is what it looks like day to day living in mainland miami. there are lots of people ive met in broward and palm beach county who tell me they never travel south of the miami-dade county line.. EVER. one person told me they prefer to mail order something from miami if they need something from here. it seems to be universally recognized by everyone in broward or palm beach that i'm "living in south america". people get wide eyed and shocked when i tell them i live in homestead. i remember overhearing a conversation about me "he lives in homestead?? wow. he must have a really good reason"

Old 02-20-2011, 04:12 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,942,015 times
I will say it is hard to come to any city espescially Miami to reside with only 2500-3000 dollars,no job and no car this doesn't seem plausible. You should come to visit the city in case you have never been here before to get the feel and flavor of this beautiful area and maybe it will steer your thinking as to what you are facing instead of listening to this negative forum.

Old 02-20-2011, 05:00 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,908,318 times
There are def more single girls in Broward. Ft Lauderdale has more women than men in it already and half of those guy are gay! Dating as a single 20-something woman in Broward is horrible, its actually better in Miami. Strange but true.

If I was a single young guy, I would live in Broward, but if you are into Latinas, you need to venture out to Miami.

Old 02-20-2011, 10:40 PM

83 posts, read 216,893 times
Default Really?

Hudlander, im going to be blunt: youre plan sounds awful. The whole thing is a failure - you don't move to miami, without a car, no job lined up, no money (because 2,500 wont last many months...at all) and a MA in geography (which while props to you isn't something thats gonna make u really in demand in most jobs imo) all while asking to be near a place thats for young ppl, near the beach and not ghetto.

Advice: get a job first, or if you can't get that - live in a kinda dumpy place, maybe a trailer park, maybe some reffy condo, save up your money - GET A CAR (for the love of god this is not a no car city - don't believe the lies, metrofail sucks and the bus system is painfully slow - i know), don't live near the beach - you can afford to do this when you have the $$$ or some knowledge of the area/a game plan. Besides the beach is like 20 mins away anyways. And brush up on your spanish skills because in order to suit your immediate financial needs you're probably gonna have to get a service sector or retail job (which the aspergers may be a problem - Miamians are either bold, loud, flashy or proud (or all of them lol)- shyness is not commonly found). Just have a game plan bro - or you'll get eaten alive. On the brightside, given where you're from - this city will give you a whole lotta new experiances which is exciting!

Old 02-20-2011, 11:06 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
Hudlander:

Your plan is just not good, it is going to end in disaster. I am not saying this as a ditch on Miami, I am saying it about any place you would go, especially here in Miami.

It is expensive to live here. Housing is expensive, public trans is not efficient for the most part, jobs pay horrible here, especially when comparing to the cost of living. To add, there are just not many jobs here, or the ones that are seem to have people in and out all the time because the manager is a jerk off.

You keep talking about night life, yes Miami has it, and it is expensive. I have lived here a short time and I can say it is the most expensive night life spot I have ever lived, and I use to live in London even. The drinks, cover charges, late night food; all expensive.

I encourage you to come to Miami, but it is not the spiced up way it is made out to be. This place is real fun if you have money, or if you have some serious hobbies that are particular to the area (like scuba diving). I would hate to be poor here, I don't see how they do it.

You also talk of the beach. The beaches are nice, but a lot of places parking is a nightmare or they charge $10 for parking. You have some parks like Crandon, but the beach scene there is lame. That leaves you with the north end of Miami Beach and up through the Ft. Lauderdale area. I take the extra drive up there from Miami just to get away from Miami.

Old 02-27-2011, 11:01 PM

1,264 posts, read 2,439,018 times
Sounds like Ft. Lauderdale would be a better fit than?

Old 02-28-2011, 03:43 AM

4,678 posts, read 9,892,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudlander View Post
Sounds like Ft. Lauderdale would be a better fit than?
$2500 and no job won't take you anywhere in Florida.. You'd be better off in Tampa, Orlando, or Jacksonville..

Have you given thought to New Orleans or Houston ?

Old 02-28-2011, 11:05 AM

1,947 posts, read 3,323,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudlander View Post
I'm 26/27, and am looking to get out of my area (NoVA). I hate the area, and have been unable to find work relating to my MA in Geography.

I figure if I am going to have to do work unrelated to my college course of study, I may as well be somewhere I like.
I wanted to ask a few questions and get some advice.
I'm about to be 27, single, and have no job.
I may or may not (likely will not) have a car when I move.
I will have 2500 dollars.

If I want to move to South Florida
1) Which geographic spot should I move to which balances transportation needs/safety needs (not a ghetto), and if (able) a good spot for a 27 year old, and not far from the beach?

2) I have a verified disability (Aspergers). How can I go about getting work in the area? How hard is it going to be for me to get SOMETHING that can pay the bills...given I have a masters?
I won't be picky and will give up limiting myself to work related to my MA in Geography, I just want something that can pay the bills...and if possible....something I can do good at given my disability (a waiter/cashier given education and social skills would be bad fits).
-Are there social service centers or whatnot?

3) How do I go about this...is it best to get a place first, move down, then find work...is it going to be near impossible to line up work prior?
-How is the job market there? How hard will it be for somebody like me to just get bill paying work?
I wouldn't recommended Miami. Job market is not good as it is and it is probably worse for those with a disability. I think you will need to target a more mature city than Miami. Also, $2,500 is not enough of a cushion for south Florida where there are few good paying jobs. You will likely run out of cash quickly. Sorry to rain on your parade. Unlike many posters to this forum I like Miami, but for your unique situation, I think it is the wrong place for you. Perhaps San Francisco, Charlotte, Washington DC?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami