Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 04:33 AM

911 posts, read 1,712,822 times

Advertisements

It sucks here right now but the views are amazing. Dade inshore is pretty well fished out. The Bay holds many Pinfish close to shore but the cold fronts moved big fish off the bite. Bridges like the Rick are holding more Homeless than Pescado.

Sails are good off shore I'm told, but useless info if Boatless or financially challenged. The Mullet run should start soon so that should heat things up along the beaches and into the Canals.

Bill Bragg would be the best bet if you're feeling lucky and fish needy. Dania pier is just soaking bait. Haulover inlet is spotty at best and if you are fishing at Oleta, one shrimp should last you all day. Canals right now are good for shopping carts and car tires. Peacock who?

It's amazingly beautiful to be out there and catching fish would distract me from watching everything else going on. Sunrises and sunsets here are incredible and have usually been my catch of the day.

"Got fish" in Solfo means you got fish in the Keys. Dade right now = Dud.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2011, 05:17 AM

2,217 posts, read 4,265,482 times
give it a few years. they got spanked last winter.

i really need to get into fishing. bought 2 poles but have never even tried. of course the there are so many laws im actually kinda afraid id catch something illegal since i dont know how to identify all the fish out there and what is legal and what isnt.

Old 02-19-2011, 05:26 AM

13,613 posts, read 10,020,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmlacysr View Post
It sucks here right now but the views are amazing. Dade inshore is pretty well fished out. The Bay holds many Pinfish close to shore but the cold fronts moved big fish off the bite. Bridges like the Rick are holding more Homeless than Pescado.

Sails are good off shore I'm told, but useless info if Boatless or financially challenged. The Mullet run should start soon so that should heat things up along the beaches and into the Canals.

Bill Bragg would be the best bet if you're feeling lucky and fish needy. Dania pier is just soaking bait. Haulover inlet is spotty at best and if you are fishing at Oleta, one shrimp should last you all day. Canals right now are good for shopping carts and car tires. Peacock who?

It's amazingly beautiful to be out there and catching fish would distract me from watching everything else going on. Sunrises and sunsets here are incredible and have usually been my catch of the day.

"Got fish" in Solfo means you got fish in the Keys. Dade right now = Dud.
Seems like a sign of things to come, maybe everywhere, all things considered.

Old 02-19-2011, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cixcell View Post
give it a few years. they got spanked last winter.

i really need to get into fishing. bought 2 poles but have never even tried. of course the there are so many laws im actually kinda afraid id catch something illegal since i dont know how to identify all the fish out there and what is legal and what isnt.
I don't keep fish anyway. If bait fishing, I use Gamakatsu circle hooks and pinch down the barb reducing the risk of damaging the fish.

Wal-mart has a free fishing law guide if you're interested in knowing more. There's no law against catchin'em it's keepin'em that's the rub.

Fishing might suck, but man...is it ever beautiful. If you've every watched Sunrise Earth on Discovery HD theater, many mornings are just like that here. Living in Miami totally blows, but it's nature views are totally stellar.

I see people keeping really small fish and that adds to the burn out. What we called too small to eat or bait in Dallas, people here call dinner. There's too much pressure on the fish in north Dade, better in South Dade, Broward and Monroe, go fig-er.

You can surf fish most places before 9am and after 5pm because of the tourists on the beaches. Not only is it dangerous to bathers but pulling in a shark doesn't improve tourism.

Night fishing is supposed to be good here but hasn't been my experience. I caught a Ray in the Bay the other night but nothing at night since.

I've caught a lot of small fish under 2lbs but I'm sport fishing for larger Tarpons. Here's a Cuda I caught the other day in a canal off US1.
Attached Thumbnails
Miami Fishing Report-cuda.jpg  

Old 02-19-2011, 07:53 AM

ill check out the free walmart guide like you suggested.
i kayak around the keys alot and kayak fishing just seems to be a natural extension of kayaking.

Old 02-19-2011, 08:07 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,739,729 times
I would be happy to catch a steel belted radial for my truck. For really good Florida fishing you need a time machine.

Old 02-19-2011, 09:14 AM

tallrick: thats the reason behind the no take zones.

Old 02-19-2011, 05:23 PM

Quote:
i kayak around the keys alot and kayak fishing just seems to be a natural extension of kayaking.
Yaking is fun, we went just today at Oleta, didn't fish, just cruised around.

You might check out this book on the *** fishing. Amazon.com: Kayak Fishing: The Ultimate Guide (9781896980287): Scott Null, Joel Mcbride: Books

Where do you go in the Keys? We've thought about renting at Robbies in Islamorada but haven't yet.

Old 02-19-2011, 06:18 PM

actually i paddle around the indian key / lignumvitae key area quite often. its always fun to paddle over to indian key and hike around, check out the look out tower, etc. and same with lignumvitae with the matheson house and the ranger-led hikes through the forest. sometimes the islands are so empty its like being the last person on earth. peaceful solitude. if you paddle the mangroves around robbie's you oftentimes see baby sharks in the shallows and sometimes white crowned pigeons nesting near the tops of the mangroves. theyre really weird looking birds. the mangrove tunnels around the mangroves there are really fun too. all sorts of colorful sponges growing on the roots.

two things i still need to check off my list. paddling out to that tiny little island off bahia honda and paddling to shell key a little north of lignumvitae key which has a lake in the middle of it you can paddle into.

funny... i still havent checked out oleta.

mangroves around robbies marina:

mangrove crab

my playground

this is another set I took of the things you can find on indian key
http://www.flickr.com/photos/94556645@N00/sets/72157601352908017/ (broken link)

Last edited by cixcell; 02-19-2011 at 06:31 PM..

Old 02-19-2011, 10:34 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,471,139 times
Quote:
actually i paddle around the indian key / lignumvitae key area quite often. its always fun to paddle over to indian key and hike around, check out the look out tower, etc. and same with lignumvitae with the matheson house and the ranger-led hikes through the forest. sometimes the islands are so empty its like being the last person on earth. peaceful solitude. if you paddle the mangroves around robbie's you oftentimes see baby sharks in the shallows and sometimes white crowned pigeons nesting near the tops of the mangroves. theyre really weird looking birds. the mangrove tunnels around the mangroves there are really fun too. all sorts of colorful sponges growing on the roots.

two things i still need to check off my list. paddling out to that tiny little island off bahia honda and paddling to shell key a little north of lignumvitae key which has a lake in the middle of it you can paddle into.

funny... i still havent checked out oleta.

mangroves around robbies marina:

mangrove crab

my playground

this is another set I took of the things you can find on indian key
Kayaking to Indian Key - a set on Flickr (http://www.flickr.com/photos/94556645@N00/sets/72157601352908017/ - broken link)
Nice pix, Cix. I love those all blue photos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami