Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2011, 07:10 PM

10 posts, read 22,668 times

Advertisements

mid 30 year old, married and w/3 year old child.

Combined income ~$130k

As the title states I have a job opportunity in Miami Lakes.

While I can spend more I'd like to see if homes within the area at ~$275,00 are an option and would like to know if a safe neighborhood for my family is viable - especially for a wife that runs, A LOT.

I will also post this in the Broward county forum so I'd like the responses to be kept to Miami-Dade if possible.

Yes, I will be checking out the area myself but having some input from those that currently live in these areas would be not only helpful but greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

as a FYI - I currently live in Northern Virginia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2011, 08:32 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,671,359 times
I would suggest a water-view 2-bedroom condo in a nice complex (with pool, tennis, gym, etc.) in Aventura, or a home in Miami Lakes or Miami Shores. For your child, all of those areas have well-respected elementary schools. Additionally, you may want to consider areas of Southwest Broward such as Cooper City, Weston, and Pembroke Pines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edogridge View Post
mid 30 year old, married and w/3 year old child.

Combined income ~$130k

As the title states I have a job opportunity in Miami Lakes.

While I can spend more I'd like to see if homes within the area at ~$275,00 are an option and would like to know if a safe neighborhood for my family is viable - especially for a wife that runs, A LOT.

I will also post this in the Broward county forum so I'd like the responses to be kept to Miami-Dade if possible.

Yes, I will be checking out the area myself but having some input from those that currently live in these areas would be not only helpful but greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

as a FYI - I currently live in Northern Virginia

Old 02-25-2011, 08:46 PM

Thank you for the response and after I posted this started researching homes in the 275-300k range and there is a huge inventory. Thankfully.

I am interested in the following features:

#1 safety (home, property and ability to be out, even during dark hours running)

#2 home price

#3 school

#4 commute to work. I currently travel 45-60 minutes one way and would really like to knock a lot of that time down if making this move.

Thank you for the areas to look at, I will add them to my list.

Old 02-25-2011, 09:05 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,671,359 times
1) All areas I named are very safe.
2) They generally fit your home price criterion, but homes in Miami Shores are generally more than that.
3) Schools in all of those areas have good reputations.
4) Commute will be under 30 minutes from all of those locations. For the Broward areas I named, the commute may be slightly more.

Old 02-27-2011, 07:16 PM

1 posts, read 1,502 times
Since you have a child I would rule out Miami Lakes because of the schools. Both Bob Graham Educational Center (K-8) and Miami Lakes K-8 (former elementary) are seriously overcrowded due to a lot of people outside the attendance boundaries lying about where they live and enrolling their kids in both schools because they are both rated highly.

The school system and principals of both schools are too inept or unwilling to ferret out all the fraudulent pupils who should be attending other schools in the area so the kids suffer from overcrowding and both schools are an absolute traffic nightmare at the beginning and ending of the school day.

In addition, if you are not Hispanic and your kids don't speak Spanish, they will feel like strangers in a foreign land if you choose Miami Lakes. This is not a slam at our area's Hispanics residents but imagine yourself as a kid being excluded from parties, clubs, events because of your nationality. Sad to say but it happens. The high school serving the real Miami Lakes is Hialeah-Miami Lakes Senior High and it is now 3% white non-Hispanic. Two of my daughters graduated from there years ago when the percentages were higher but the youngest daughter graduated in the early 2000's when the percentage was 6% white non-Hispanic.

Your kids would be far better off in central or northern western Broward County, trust me.

If you don't agree, and sincerely wish to immerse your child(ren) in Hispanic culture, make sure that you buy in the real Miami Lakes and not the areas north of Miami Lakes where people and businesses claim they are in Miami Lakes because they don't know where they are. They are neither in the development of Miami Lakes or in the Town of Miami Lakes, they don't pay Miami Lakes taxes, don't enjoy Miami Lakes services such as our fine police protection, etc. Anything north of the Palmetto Expressway (826) east-west leg between 77th and 57th Avenues is not in Miami Lakes, and anything north of NW 170th Street between the north-south leg of the Palmetto and I-75 is not in Miami Lakes. Hopefully your employer is in the real Miami Lakes and not miles north of it.

Regarding Miami Shores, be prepared to shell out for private schools for your kids. Miami Shores Elementary is now predominantly Haitian. Horace Mann is is probably under 5% white non-Hispanic or Hispanic. Edison Senior High is probably 1% or less white non-Hispanic or Hispanic and was an "F" school until very recently as I recall.

One more thing to consider: our homeowners/wind storm insurance rates are astronomical. Get a quote on several houses and you will see what I mean. I'm paying over $5K a year to State Farm and I recently read where they want another 25% increase. We pay some of the country's highest auto insurance, homeowners insurance, and medical insurance rates due to all the fraud and abuse down here. That $130K combined salary may not seem so good once you consider the expenses of living down here.

Old 03-01-2011, 07:50 PM

Thank you for this input Hugh - any and all information is welcomed and taken into consideration. With no real connections down there I am gathering as much info off the net as possible but it usually pales in comparison to those that are living in it day to day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami