Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 05:13 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,942,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina1686 View Post
No suprise, Miami has no real jobs and no real companies..... A bunch of people coming from 3rd world countries willing to work for minimum adds the icing in the cake....
List of Major Companies in South Florida - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

No real companies huh, great fact-finder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2011, 05:24 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,942,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLTKing View Post
Miami is located in such an strategic geographic location, but it can't seem to use that and its airport and port to its advantage. It needs to bring more Fortune 500 companies to Dade. Small business don't make an economy grow, usually pay low wages and don't attract potential educated candidates from other cities to relocate.
It is only the "Gateway to Latin America" which headquarters 1100 multinational companies with 221 billion dollars annually and as far as the port,it is considered the "Cruise Capital", now as far as being in a strategic geographic location within the U.S. it is my opinion it is poorly located as you can see where Atlanta is ,Miami is losing the centrality close to major and vital cities.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._South_Florida

Old 03-01-2011, 06:47 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
Well, I'll leave to the wayside the fact that Wikipedia isn't exactly what I'd call a great place to find factual information.....and just go to the list.

There are 5 Fortune 500 companies, two in Miami.

The next list does show big companies in Miami but did you notice how many of them had, "Latin America" after the name? In other words, if you don't espeekee pani before you get here, you will have a hard time getting those jobs.

Finally, the last list shows some good companies here and there's a possibility for jobs. Keep in mind, not all of these are full time jobs. Royal Caribbean boasts 4,000 workers. How many of those are seasonal or part time? Being at the docks is not always a full time job.

It's not to say that there aren't major companies in Miami, it's to say that it's not always what it seems. And especially now, I wonder how many are hiring. A neighbor of mine works for Carnival. She's a manager there. They have had a hiring freeze for quite a bit now.

Old 03-01-2011, 07:45 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,908,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmontaq View Post
question of the decade... how?

By working for myself in a state where there is a higher cost of living. Higher cost of living=higher income. A higher income will help me save $$ faster which I will then utilize to help me make more $$ by investing it or putting it back into my current business.

having an extra 5,000 to blow on a long vacation/winter season in Florida isn't too hard if you live in a state where you can make double the $ you can make down here.

I just really don't see Florida as a place to work in the long term for myself. Consumers are more faithful to chains than small biz. Unless you are going to open a chain of restaurants or something. In the places I am considering moving to, consumers are more likely to be loyal to small businesses. You will find these consumers in afluent, open-minded, politically aware, and politically liberal areas. If you are going to be offering a service or working as a professional, it seems more logical to do it somewhere you can earn more, save more, and invest more in a shorter period of time and enjoy Florida the way it was meant to be enjoyed, sporadically.

Old 03-01-2011, 08:33 PM

2,217 posts, read 4,267,078 times
"Consumers are more faithful to chains than small biz."
oftentimes this is due to the fact that small businesses here have lower standards than chains. what typically happens is business owners then have to diversify and carry greater variety or specialty items or provide better service than the chains to compete. but people dont want to put in the effort here so they just close up shop. many businesses here think they can invest once and then milk it for every penny not continual reinvestment and self improvement. i can tell you there are quite a number of small restaurants in miami springs that people frequent and have loyalty to but they provide a higher value worthy of patronizing them. take harvest moon for example by the traffic circle.

Old 03-01-2011, 10:58 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,908,318 times
I agree. A lot of the small biz down here have horrible standards and survive off of the transient population (snowbirds, tourists, etc.)

There are definatly small businesses down here that do well, but the kind of things I'm into are pretty much oversaturated by chains down here. Also, the type of clientele I would like to cater to is very transient down here.
The kind of city I have in mind, is the kind of place that has mostly small businesses on its main drags and when there is new of a "chain" trying to open, the comunity gets outraged and active in keeping it out. Its a very affluent community near an urban area. Search for "most educated cities/towns" and places like this will come up...Alexandria, Virgina (I believe near D.C?)Brookline, Massachusetts (near Boston), etc.

These places also have the best public school systems in the country, so if I ever settle down (G-d no!) and have a kid, I can put it through a world class shool.

Also, those are the kind of places I prefer living in full-time. I love Miami...but I need breaks from it.

Anyways, I'll shut up now. I sould like an *******

Old 03-02-2011, 01:49 AM

4,023 posts, read 7,372,847 times
Really sad, but the economists expect a new boom in 2012.Be patient

Old 03-02-2011, 06:21 AM

2,217 posts, read 4,267,078 times
"The kind of city I have in mind, is the kind of place that has mostly small businesses on its main drags and when there is new of a "chain" trying to open, the comunity gets outraged and active in keeping it out."

you need a population that has transcended chain stores. we're nowhere near that sophisticated yet.

Old 03-02-2011, 06:45 AM

809 posts, read 2,316,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cixcell View Post
"Consumers are more faithful to chains than small biz."
oftentimes this is due to the fact that small businesses here have lower standards than chains. what typically happens is business owners then have to diversify and carry greater variety or specialty items or provide better service than the chains to compete. but people dont want to put in the effort here so they just close up shop. many businesses here think they can invest once and then milk it for every penny not continual reinvestment and self improvement. i can tell you there are quite a number of small restaurants in miami springs that people frequent and have loyalty to but they provide a higher value worthy of patronizing them. take harvest moon for example by the traffic circle.
You are so right about restaurants in Miami SPrings! I don't really go to Harvest Moon, but I go to Holleman's and Basilico all the time. And like you said, customer service and quality are top notch.

Old 03-02-2011, 07:26 AM

1,062 posts, read 2,252,004 times
Hopefully my current job will be the last in Miami for me. I have already decided that if I get laid off or fired before I find work somewhere else, I do not intend to look for work in Miami. Hopefully by then I would have saved enough to get me through for 6 months to a year and start over somewhere else. If not, I will cash out on some of my investments and start somewhere else. I feel as if Miami is gradually sucking the "positive soul" out of me. By the way, I am an optimistic person by nature who will greet attendants at gas station, say thank you to cashiers and attendants who are snobs and rude. I figure I can only worry about my actions. However, over time, the environment in general can gradually eat away at ones soul.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami