Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2011, 03:19 PM

9 posts, read 20,445 times

Advertisements

I know there's a thousand threads on every neighborhood in the Miami metro area but I'm hoping to use all your guys expertise to find what neighborhoods I should narrow down my apt search.

My girlfriend and I will be looking for a 1+ bedroom apt in a nice, safe area. We're into the restaurant, shops sort of vibe rather than clubbing/college scene. We'll be able to spend up to about $1500 but definitely would love something cheaper if possible. My girlfriend loves the idea of Coral Gables but I wonder if its out of price range. I'll be working just south of the Doral Resort and she'll be looking for work as an RN in any local hospital. Thanks for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2011, 04:14 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times
South Miami, Coral Gables is not out of your price range. Plenty of hospitals in that area. You will find lots of shops, and clubs in those areas...nice walking places in Coconut Grove, you can find a place with that amount of money in that area.

Old 03-23-2011, 01:36 AM

22 posts, read 43,163 times
North Miami Beach, in California Club area.

Orrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr in Sunny Isles beach, or Bal Harbor if you can afford it

Old 03-23-2011, 08:37 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,450,255 times
Coral Gables, Brickell, South Miami, Coconut Grove and even South Beach are all good suggestions for you. Coral Gables may be your best option as it is the closest to Doral, less of a commute. The other four are good options as they all have a central area for shops and restaurants that you could walk around. All of these would not have a bad commute to Doral because they would be going against traffic for the most of the way, there may be some parts of your route you would have some traffic. You should be able to find something in these areas in your budget, now will they be large and have all the amenities you are looking for maybe not, but location is probably your most important decision maker.

Old 03-23-2011, 09:29 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times
Go with something close to train, as if your GF gets a job at a hospital downtown, there is no parking for employees, even south miami hospital is like that. Parking for doctors and patinets. Everyone else takes the bus or train. Most hospitals here are like that.

Old 03-23-2011, 11:30 AM

22 posts, read 43,163 times
No the perfect location due to your circumstances is Fountain Blue, really cheap townhouses and apartments there, and it is not that bad, there the bus on 7th street can take you straight through downtown, and it is 3 minutes from doral.

Fountain Blue is located just 10 blocks west of Mall of the Americans

Just buy a scooter, you can find one brand new for under $600, but only use it until you can afford a car and then resell it on miami.craigslist.org

Old 03-23-2011, 01:06 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,471,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resident037 View Post
North Miami Beach, in California Club area.

Orrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr in Sunny Isles beach, or Bal Harbor if you can afford it
Nice places but then he has traffic issues getting past downtown. I say MacArthur Causeway or south.

Old 03-23-2011, 02:04 PM

5 posts, read 7,301 times
there is this apt in coral gables 1bed 1 bath for
$700 not bad at all near shops and restaurants,,,

Old 03-23-2011, 06:12 PM

187 posts, read 541,362 times
The Coral Gables area tends to be a bit more pricey than others, but I don't think you have to worry about that. $1500 for a 1 bedroom apt. will get you a loooong way. I think your best bet would be around that area, Coral Cables, Coconut Grove. I have seen 2 bed/2 bath apartments in Hialeah renting for $700. Not so much in the shops/restaurants department ( although Hialeah is chock full of shopping centers ), and unless you want to be surrounded by 200,000 Cubans I would not recommend it, but if you want to spend less that area will be more economical. Good luck!

Old 03-24-2011, 02:10 PM

28 posts, read 115,317 times
Coral Gables and Brickell are your better options. Both have a varying range of restaurants and styles of food, from world high class cuisine, to mom-and-pop trattorias. Coconut Grove is more for families with small children, less than 10, non-turistic, restaurants in the area, that you'd take your "family" to.
Fountainblue is not walking friendly, and restaurants are shopping center type, and far between.
South Miami Beach also has great restaurants and is great for strolling, and discovering, but farther from Doral. About 45 minutes ride with no traffic, up to 1 1/2 hours with traffic each way.
With a $1500 monthly rent budge, you should have descent places to choose from in each of these areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami