Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 06:54 AM

425 posts, read 958,387 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to relocate from NYC, and am researching some areas of Miami. I would be willing to spend up to $1100 for a large studio or1BR, while 2BR would be perfect. How is the area? I would be working from home, but may look to aquire a second job once there for extra income, would I be able to get around without a car for about 6 months, I do not have one at the moment and would rather purchase one once I get settled in. The less stuff to move from NYC the cheaper the move, the goal is to be able to stuff everything in a duffle bag and go, and rebuy what I need once down there...LOL

I am a big baseball fan, and would like to go to get season tickets for the Marlins, I know it's in Little Havana but if I decide to go with another area, is there public transit that gets you to the park, and what areas does the Metrobus/Metro rail go through.

...and should I invest in a Spanish Roseta Stone CD? seems like Spanish is as big in Miami as French is in Montreal. :-)

Thanks for any info you can supply.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2011, 08:43 AM

49 posts, read 82,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottykick View Post
I'm looking to relocate from NYC, and am researching some areas of Miami. I would be willing to spend up to $1100 for a large studio or1BR, while 2BR would be perfect. How is the area? I would be working from home, but may look to aquire a second job once there for extra income, would I be able to get around without a car for about 6 months, I do not have one at the moment and would rather purchase one once I get settled in. The less stuff to move from NYC the cheaper the move, the goal is to be able to stuff everything in a duffle bag and go, and rebuy what I need once down there...LOL

I am a big baseball fan, and would like to go to get season tickets for the Marlins, I know it's in Little Havana but if I decide to go with another area, is there public transit that gets you to the park, and what areas does the Metrobus/Metro rail go through.

...and should I invest in a Spanish Roseta Stone CD? seems like Spanish is as big in Miami as French is in Montreal. :-)

Thanks for any info you can supply.

I can install Spanish Rosetta Stone all 5 levels in your computer if you need it. Just let me know.

Old 03-24-2011, 10:37 AM

1,322 posts, read 4,236,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ache View Post
I can install Spanish Rosetta Stone all 5 levels in your computer if you need it. Just let me know.
ummm i do. that would be kick awesome.

Old 03-24-2011, 10:45 AM

49 posts, read 82,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just1Lion View Post
ummm i do. that would be kick awesome.
this is my gmail account : qbanache@gmail.com

it would take about 1 hour for the whole process, so if you are interested you need to plan ahead.

Old 03-24-2011, 11:23 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,739,729 times
Little Havana has everything from newer box condos to run down 1920's roach motels. It is a true taste of the third world in Florida. The homes are largely stripped of vegetation, and some people have illegal efficiencies in a shed. You do need a car as public transportation is the pits. Old folks ride the bus so it takes 1 hour to go 5 miles with all the bus stops, especially on calle ocho. Habla espanol?

Old 03-24-2011, 01:43 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,803,581 times
The need to know Spanish is over rated. You can learn for fun, but do not get into the hype of needing to know it.

Little Havana in my opinion is a rat hole, it seemsit was ok back in the day and it seems to have some descent parts, but for the most part its glory days have long been over. But that it just my opinion, I could be wrong, I do not live there.

Old 03-24-2011, 01:50 PM

28 posts, read 115,317 times
Stick with the Brickell area. Get into the older buildings, better built, won't sway when a hurricane comes around. - Hey, any Jade residents around during the last hurricane? How was the motion-sickness afterwards? Boy, people forget that half the "stuco" fell off from the Jade.

How about the "new" buildings on Brickell around 20th-25th? Hialeah has better new construction.

Stick with well designed, well maintained older buildings in Brickell. You can buy or better yet, rent for a year, then decide.

Little Havana? Go the the nearest run-down Bronx area at 2AM, and you'll get a feel for it.
Stay away from Little Havana. Little Haiti is more eclectic!

Old 03-24-2011, 06:37 PM

609 posts, read 1,139,059 times
I Live in In E. Little Havana, maybe 3 blocks away from downtown/Brickell. I Spend 900/mo on a 1br, 1 and 1.5 ba and Im in a quiet area off sw 5th St. In fact, there are some places in the area that renting in the same price range. I just found a 2br 2ba off 7th St for 900. I would have took it, but im already in a lease on this place.

I do not have a car and I can walk to the metromover to get to class. I haven't sweated my clothing out so I must be doing okay.

People are nice and I'm pretty much surrounded by an older Cuban community. I'm Black and I know some Spanish, but like another said it isn't needed.

Old 03-24-2011, 07:19 PM

2,930 posts, read 7,058,545 times
If you drive I would get a car asap, otherwise live close to a metrorail station

For 1100 you should be able to get a decent place but you need to research The buildings individually. There are other places in Miami Dade that are probably more appealing to the eye(too much concrete there, lawns are unheard of in some parts of little Havana)

While some parts of little Havana are low income, with some common sense the place might be livable. I've heard about south bronx but never been there I would say little Havana might be like living in Corona or Washington heights. Very ethnic and Spanish speaking, but even then it's very different(not walkable, car dependent, less interesting)

Old 03-24-2011, 07:34 PM

4,968 posts, read 10,191,580 times
I go to LH once a month,and the vibe and looks of that place reminds me of the neighborhoods you see in the movie Stand and Deliver. Even the people look like from the cast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami