Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2011, 08:38 AM

604 posts, read 856,280 times

Advertisements

JM, police officers are hired from the local population so the attitude should make perfect sense.

Old 03-31-2011, 08:42 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,812,184 times
I like Miami.

Old 03-31-2011, 08:45 AM

1,322 posts, read 4,237,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmlacysr View Post

OMG we are moving to Miami!
OMG we are here!!
OMG I want out!!!!!
dude. this is not a miami thing. it is a combo of miami and you. not a good mix, clearly. i had the same experienc back in 05. i was all amped to move to philadelphia. thought it was perfect for me and my then g/f now wife. im a musician, shes an artist. seemed perfect. 2 weeks after living there i panicked and hated every single thing about philly, the people...everything. i broke my lease and moved out after 6 months. guess what. i missed philly. and moved back a year later. turns out i am full of depression and anxiety and will probably never be really happy anywhere. perhaps you have some underlying issues. im no DR but your story sounds all too familiar to me.

Old 03-31-2011, 08:51 AM

413 posts, read 819,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cixcell View Post
not true. i personally know many people here who aren't interested in strong law enforcement. they tell me it is the definition of true freedom. one guy gave examples of sitting in a stadium in brazil firing off fireworks.
True. Law enforcement in the US is brutal. People getting beaten up and tased for no reasons all the time. Can't drink until age 21. Etc, etc...

Western Europe is much more free

Old 03-31-2011, 08:57 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,812,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Energy_Fin_Guy View Post
True. Law enforcement in the US is brutal. People getting beaten up and tased for no reasons all the time. Can't drink until age 21. Etc, etc...

I agree with that. Many cops here have an attitude problem (I am a former LEO by the way), I think they are to brutal on one hand, not enough on the other.

The drinking age here is ridiculous.

Old 03-31-2011, 09:35 AM

911 posts, read 1,713,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just1Lion View Post
dude. this is not a miami thing. it is a combo of miami and you. not a good mix, clearly. i had the same experienc back in 05. i was all amped to move to philadelphia. thought it was perfect for me and my then g/f now wife. im a musician, shes an artist. seemed perfect. 2 weeks after living there i panicked and hated every single thing about philly, the people...everything. i broke my lease and moved out after 6 months. guess what. i missed philly. and moved back a year later. turns out i am full of depression and anxiety and will probably never be really happy anywhere. perhaps you have some underlying issues. im no DR but your story sounds all too familiar to me.
It could be all me. I haven't made another jump to see. I didn't hate Dallas at all, we just wanted to move someplace to the beach and Miami seemed like a good idea at the time. It was nothing more or less.

I've lived in several US cities and didn't hate any of them. My family was in Dallas so I tended to land back there. My Mom passed away last year and there was no more family in Dallas, so my son said "let's go" and we did.

I like Florida fine. I've been all over soflo now and FTL fits me the best. Now when I get there if I'm equally as miserable, I'll come back and tell everyone they were right.

It's not like Dallas and Miami is all I know, I've traveled more than a little both for work and pleasure and both coast, north and south and central America and Mexico. I have some impressions from living and visiting those other cities.

It's not like I say Miami sucks and leave it at that. I explain in detail the reasons I hate it here and everyone can judge for themselves if my issues are valid to them.

You can say it's not that way for you here and I gladly accept that, but what you can't say is what I say here is not how I feel.

If it's a personal problem, I'm smart enough to know you may be right and only time will tell, but what I can say, is I've never felt this way before.

Old 03-31-2011, 10:06 AM

1,322 posts, read 4,237,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmlacysr View Post
If it's a personal problem, I'm smart enough to know you may be right and only time will tell, but what I can say, is I've never felt this way before.
believe me, i feel for ya. i remember the feeling well. never hurts to keep moving until you find the right place. i went through a phase of moving every 6 months for almost 3 years. it was rough. most landlords will agree to letting a lease up if you give 2 months notice. thats been my experience.

Old 03-31-2011, 11:07 AM

911 posts, read 1,713,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just1Lion View Post
believe me, i feel for ya. i remember the feeling well. never hurts to keep moving until you find the right place. i went through a phase of moving every 6 months for almost 3 years. it was rough. most landlords will agree to letting a lease up if you give 2 months notice. thats been my experience.
We knew moving to a state we've never lived and to a city we never lived would not be ideal. The plan always was, let's get here, live here and have time to explore and find where we fit and that plan hasn't changed.

Partly, what we didn't expect was the effect of living in a latin/Caribbean dominated culture would have on daily life and that's our problem in a nutshell. I'm tired of being the only white guy for miles. I'm tired of not being able to speak my own language. I'm tired of the rude behavior here that seems so acceptable and I'm tired of the ineffectiveness of the city to control it's own population in crime and provide safety for it's residences both in the streets and their homes.

The value system is askew from that which we knew, and peoples personal rights and common civility has been placed to the side for ones self interest. It's not the city, or a race, it's the culture of all it all we find objectionable because we were raised in something dissimilar.

I had no way of quantifying any of that until we were actually here. We have a metric now that we could only build from experience, and while the next move was completely expected and planned, we are disappointed Miami is not a good fit for us. We knew we'd move somewhere else in Miami, but what we didn't expect is needing to move to another city entirely.

Old 03-31-2011, 05:07 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,729,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Energy_Fin_Guy View Post

More free you say. We could debate that.

Old 03-31-2011, 06:06 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,940,357 times
Europeans that visit America get a great exchange rate, more bang for the buck. They probably choose Florida because of differences in scenery, topography and weather. Miami has beautiful palm trees and foliage that is not found in Europe,along with the fact Miami/ Miami Beach is just a popular tourist destination.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami