Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 08:02 AM

2,113 posts, read 5,074,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptoid Humidian View Post
If I had to be an ex-pat, I would be an ex-pat in Paramaribo Suriname. It's the closest thing climate wise and topographically that corresponds to South Florida. It's a flat location in a river delta area with Mangrove estuaries and the average dewpoint is 75 degrees. It's VERY humid year-round with no dry/cold waves to ruin the effect. The architecture consists of dutch fortifications and colonial buildings -- very bizarre.
With all due respect .. I went to Paramaribo in 2002 and hated it .... the airport is a large warehouse in the middle of the jungle far from the city .. it is unlike anything in South America ..starting with the language and culture ... many people of African , Dutch , Hindu and Javanese ... yes Java in the pacific heritage ... I felt like I was in Vietnam or Cambodia .. large Muslim population ... country has been governed by military juntas on and off for years .... colonial buildings made of wood so it looked like Tombstone or Dodge City .. no real or beautiful architecture to speak of .. stayed at the Hotel Torrarica which was poor by any standards ... hotel was frequented by hordes of Brazilian hookers and their johns ... again I did not like Suriname at all .... will not be rushing back their anytime soon unless it is a hunting or fishing excursion ... comparing Paramaribo to Medellin , Colombia is like comparing Coral Gables to Carol City .

Old 04-03-2011, 08:28 AM

1,978 posts, read 4,405,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Newman View Post
With all due respect .. I went to Paramaribo in 2002 and hated it .... the airport is a large warehouse in the middle of the jungle far from the city .. it is unlike anything in South America ..starting with the language and culture ... many people of African , Dutch , Hindu and Javanese ... yes Java in the pacific heritage ... I felt like I was in Vietnam or Cambodia .. large Muslim population ... country has been governed by military juntas on and off for years .... colonial buildings made of wood so it looked like Tombstone or Dodge City .. no real or beautiful architecture to speak of .. stayed at the Hotel Torrarica which was poor by any standards ... hotel was frequented by hordes of Brazilian hookers and their johns ... again I did not like Suriname at all .... will not be rushing back their anytime soon unless it is a hunting or fishing excursion ... comparing Paramaribo to Medellin , Colombia is like comparing Coral Gables to Carol City .
I have to say, that in researching it, I didn't like the look of the architecture at first, and since I'm addicted to the Caribbean Latin vibe, I couldn't really figure that place out, but after a while of exposure to the pictures and other info (yours included) I've started to attune to the vibe of that city. It's like Holland-meets-Lebanon-meets-India-meets-Java-meets-Egypt-meets-Southeast Asia-meets-some bizarre timewarped medieval fortification. In terms of pure weirdness, jungle climate, concentrations of people from the most far-flung regions of the world, it might just be the most exotic location on Earth! So the airport is a warehouse in the middle of the jungle, far from the city.... That still has its charm, just so long as I don't have to WALK that long distance! As long as they don't start imposing Sharia Law, I'm cool with it!

Old 04-03-2011, 11:43 AM

5,187 posts, read 6,937,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Newman View Post

YouTube - NATRAJTV SLM TRAVEL AMTERDAM PARAMARIBO PASSENGERS OPINION

Old 04-03-2011, 01:40 PM

1,978 posts, read 4,405,202 times
Kinda cool, but I wish I could understand what was being said. Sometimes it sounds like they're speaking Arabic, and at other times it sounds like German.

Old 04-03-2011, 02:00 PM

2,930 posts, read 7,058,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xS☺Be View Post
So on a scale of 1 to 10 - ten being the best - how would you rank Medellin as a place to live and secondly as a place to visit? For comparison, how you would rate Miami in both categories.
It depends on what you like or dislike, if you have to work etc

One of the reasons I would never move back is because I can make more money here. I might consider retiring there if I can't find a city that accommodates my needs in the USA. I want to retire in an urban environment.

I'm not retiring in Florida, that's for sure.

Old 04-03-2011, 02:34 PM

2,217 posts, read 4,265,482 times
Quote:
I have to say, that in researching it, I didn't like the look of the architecture at first, and since I'm addicted to the Caribbean Latin vibe, I couldn't really figure that place out, but after a while of exposure to the pictures and other info (yours included) I've started to attune to the vibe of that city. It's like Holland-meets-Lebanon-meets-India-meets-Java-meets-Egypt-meets-Southeast Asia-meets-some bizarre timewarped medieval fortification. In terms of pure weirdness, jungle climate, concentrations of people from the most far-flung regions of the world, it might just be the most exotic location on Earth! So the airport is a warehouse in the middle of the jungle, far from the city.... That still has its charm, just so long as I don't have to WALK that long distance! As long as they don't start imposing Sharia Law, I'm cool with it!
sounds fantastic!

Old 04-03-2011, 03:48 PM

2,113 posts, read 5,074,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cixcell View Post
sounds fantastic!
More power to you guys .. I thought it sucked !!!

Old 04-03-2011, 07:14 PM

2,217 posts, read 4,265,482 times
i love jungle and any dramatic crazy mix of cultures is fascinating. id love to go to zamboanga city in the philippines but you risk muslim extremists kidnapping you. but its an incredible mix of various indiginous cultures and an extremely old form of spanish is spoken.

Old 04-03-2011, 08:50 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,471,139 times
Quote:
I'd be concerned that the local hospitals stock anti-venom ....

Old 04-04-2011, 08:15 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,450,255 times
Topic is about Miami let's try to stay on topic please.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami