Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 04:37 PM

932 posts, read 1,177,517 times

Advertisements

A few weeks ago, my life turned upside down. As it was revealed on this forum, my wife of 5 years cheated on me. Far from feel sorry for myself, I did what I should have done a month after agreeing to move to Miami (for her sake): I LEFT.

As of now, I am happily living in Ashland, NJ with an old friend of mine and working for a medium sized manufacturing company in Philly (a job I was lucky to land). I don't have any pics uploaded to share, but this is my 'hood:

Google Maps

It's only temporary, because the advantage of sharing a house with a friend is that I get to save lots of $$$, which I plan to use as a down payment on an apartment.

Anyway, Miami damaged me in ways that I am still trying to come to terms with. Although I left, I still have nightmares about waking up there. Living in Miami was a generally horrid experience for me. There is absolutely nothing that I miss, maybe aside from Cuban coffee. I am very much still de-toxifying. As of now, I do not own a car and take the train to work, but I feel 1,000,000 times safer as a pedestrian, both here and in the city of Philadelphia, where it must be said that drivers aren't the best in the world.

It's refreshing to be back in a place that doesn't raise my blood pressure, even when I just go to buy groceries. Instead of just seeing Cubans and a few other Latin American groups, I now see Chinese people, east Europeans, black people (and middle class black people), so-called "gringo" Americans and Irish and Italian communities, still loyal to their roots, but very much American and proud.

I can never go back to Miami, not even to visit. My friend and I were watching "Real Housewives Of Miami" the other day and I had to tell him to change the channel. I do not want to be reminded of the sociopathic, cultureless, overly aggressive, macho or overly prissy (if female) and overly image-obsessed people of Miami (or at least 90% of the population of Dade County).

In my new job, I work among people who take their job seriously and who are professional. While we don't dress in shirts and ties, nobody wears gold chains to work and the best part is, ENGLISH is the common language, even though a co-worker I've recently befriended is Syrian.

For the first time in years, I am actually content (not quite happy, because I've been through a lot). I've realized that although I was in an extremely bad marriage, South Florida itself was gradually wearing me down and turning me into a monster. Sure, the cold temperatures have taken a little adjusting to, but every day I wake up here in my friends' spare room, I thank my lucky stars that I no longer have to endure Miami and South Florida. I don't have Rick Scott as Governor anymore, I don't have to hear reggaeton and managed to flee Miami before that god-awful Ultra music festival hit, along with the douche bags from Miami and beyond that it attracts. I am so glad to never have to hear Y100 or Power 96 again. There are actually 2 very amazing FM rock stations here that don't just play recycled Godsmack, Led Zeppelin or Pearl Jam on repeat, just to placate the rock fans.

Adios Miami.....it's been a wild ride, but I'm glad the ride is over. Good luck to those of you who are still there and miserable. Let this be an inspiration to you. My soon to be ex wife did me the biggest favor on earth: she cheated on me so that I could not only leave her, but I could also leave Miami without any guilt or remorse.

In short, I am FREE.

Old 03-26-2011, 04:43 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,942,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glasvegas View Post
A few weeks ago, my life turned upside down. As it was revealed on this forum, my wife of 5 years cheated on me. Far from feel sorry for myself, I did what I should have done a month after agreeing to move to Miami (for her sake): I LEFT.

As of now, I am happily living in Ashland, NJ with an old friend of mine and working for a medium sized manufacturing company in Philly (a job I was lucky to land). I don't have any pics uploaded to share, but this is my 'hood:

Google Maps

It's only temporary, because the advantage of sharing a house with a friend is that I get to save lots of $$$, which I plan to use as a down payment on an apartment.

Anyway, Miami damaged me in ways that I am still trying to come to terms with. Although I left, I still have nightmares about waking up there. Living in Miami was a generally horrid experience for me. There is absolutely nothing that I miss, maybe aside from Cuban coffee. I am very much still de-toxifying. As of now, I do not own a car and take the train to work, but I feel 1,000,000 times safer as a pedestrian, both here and in the city of Philadelphia, where it must be said that drivers aren't the best in the world.

It's refreshing to be back in a place that doesn't raise my blood pressure, even when I just go to buy groceries. Instead of just seeing Cubans and a few other Latin American groups, I now see Chinese people, east Europeans, black people (and middle class black people), so-called "gringo" Americans and Irish and Italian communities, still loyal to their roots, but very much American and proud.

I can never go back to Miami, not even to visit. My friend and I were watching "Real Housewives Of Miami" the other day and I had to tell him to change the channel. I do not want to be reminded of the sociopathic, cultureless, overly aggressive, macho or overly prissy (if female) and overly image-obsessed people of Miami (or at least 90% of the population of Dade County).

In my new job, I work among people who take their job seriously and who are professional. While we don't dress in shirts and ties, nobody wears gold chains to work and the best part is, ENGLISH is the common language, even though a co-worker I've recently befriended is Syrian.

For the first time in years, I am actually content (not quite happy, because I've been through a lot). I've realized that although I was in an extremely bad marriage, South Florida itself was gradually wearing me down and turning me into a monster. Sure, the cold temperatures have taken a little adjusting to, but every day I wake up here in my friends' spare room, I thank my lucky stars that I no longer have to endure Miami and South Florida. I don't have Rick Scott as Governor anymore, I don't have to hear reggaeton and managed to flee Miami before that god-awful Ultra music festival hit, along with the douche bags from Miami and beyond that it attracts. I am so glad to never have to hear Y100 or Power 96 again. There are actually 2 very amazing FM rock stations here that don't just play recycled Godsmack, Led Zeppelin or Pearl Jam on repeat, just to placate the rock fans.

Adios Miami.....it's been a wild ride, but I'm glad the ride is over. Good luck to those of you who are still there and miserable. Let this be an inspiration to you.
Evil Woman by ELO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jU314nyMKWE

Old 03-26-2011, 04:46 PM

4,968 posts, read 10,196,322 times
OH GOD, YOU ARE SO LUCKY!!

thanks for remind me how awful this place is.

Old 03-26-2011, 04:57 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,908,318 times
Good luck, vegas. I never saw your post about your ex-wife doing that, but I hope you still have faith in women because most or half of us, are as loving and faithful as you would want us to be.

I'm excited to spend the summer Up North. I prefer instead of thinking Miami damaged you (or me or whomever) that it actually made you a bit stronger and wiser during the duration of your life here.

I have been jaded beyond belief, and when most people speak to me in person they assume I'm in my late 20s, not 22. This may have something to do with being involved in working in the bar/club scene and some modeling-both of which introduced me to some of the worst people down here that either just want to **** me or use me for $ or whatever.

I can't relate to people my age down here, and I'm excited to be able to connect with people once I'm back up north.

I have also met great people down here, most of which have moved away, as I know I have already told you this.

Keep us posted, vegas, on your progress Up North.

Old 03-26-2011, 04:59 PM

Lol, there is nothing wrong if he changes to the other side... for after what happened he might choose to never have faith in madchen.

Old 03-26-2011, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glasvegas View Post
My soon to be ex wife did me the biggest favor on earth: she cheated on me so that I could not only leave her, but I could also leave Miami without any guilt or remorse.
exactly my thoughts, I remember telling you the same thing. That's why I was optimistic in your "i got cheated" thread

Old 03-26-2011, 05:07 PM

932 posts, read 1,177,517 times
Winterfront & Pear - thank you.

Winterfront, keep up the good work.

Pear, I love you too

Old 03-26-2011, 06:00 PM

2,217 posts, read 4,267,078 times
Congrats Glasvegas, I hope you prosper in your new home. Best wishes. There will clearly be more opportunities for you there.

Old 03-26-2011, 07:25 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,749,371 times
The majority of my friends moved from Miami and I did too, although I still go through that cesspool on a regular basis. Perhaps the reason I am not interested in women was from growing up in Miami. Perhaps that is why I trust no one at first, and am extremely cynical. You should think of living in Miami as a valuable education, like going to college. You learn what a con-artist and scammer is like and are less likely to fall for them.

I think that all Americans are as immoral as Miami residents, but the attitude is rarely as bad except in certain cities. What I like about Miami is that if you are not stylish you are invisible. The women leave you alone while in other areas they are more curious. All of the people I know married in Miami have been divorced at least once. The only successful people I know left Miami and never came back.

Old 03-26-2011, 09:59 PM

1,209 posts, read 2,420,033 times
Glad to see you are coping well and in a much better position! agree with tallrick, most women here at least from what i know are divorced and have the superficial approach in finding a guy. No wonder they continually become divorced and become single. This is Miami, where its all about money and looking rich. I swear ill never raise my kids here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami