Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 09:01 PM

4,968 posts, read 10,169,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optional Angel View Post
FIU has gotten much, much more competitive over the years. I saw students with 4.0 and above GPAs and 500-600s on the SAT get rejected.
!
That's only exclusively for the Architecture School (acceptance is based by portfolio review not grades or SAT scores), and other Limited Access programs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2011, 12:42 PM

841 posts, read 4,834,008 times
UM is a great school. The professors are highly knowledgeable and engaged with the student population. The teacher:student ratio provides a tighter knit community in my opinion.

If you have the money or financial assistance to attend UM, it's a great choice.

Old 04-08-2011, 06:30 PM

18,073 posts, read 18,750,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnamon25 View Post
Hi all and thanks for reading,

I plan to move to Miami in a year and a half for college-hopefully the University of Miami or FIU. I have never been to Miami before and need some advice about safety, entertainment, transportation and/or culture. For example: What's the better school, Best beach to go to, etc. I also wanted to know your opinions about best partying spots in Miami-when I go to college I will only be 18 as a junior b/c I already take classes at a community college through my high school. AND..where are some spots to pick up nice-looking guys?! Any advice will help!!
Are you a Florida resident? Something to think about if you are trying to get into FIU, the tuition will be high, much higher than it is worth in most cases.

UM is a great school, but how great versus the money really depends. For example, in my opinion it is a waste of money to go to UM and get a history degree or something, or FIU has a strong accounting program, your money would be better spent there.

Also, you right now you have no idea what your status will be (as a junior or what), until you have your credits transferred over. There is no guarantee that any school here will accept all your credits, and even if that, if they will apply those credits to their degree program.

Old 04-08-2011, 06:49 PM

769 posts, read 1,727,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Are you a Florida resident? Something to think about if you are trying to get into FIU, the tuition will be high, much higher than it is worth in most cases.

UM is a great school, but how great versus the money really depends. For example, in my opinion it is a waste of money to go to UM and get a history degree or something, or FIU has a strong accounting program, your money would be better spent there.

Also, you right now you have no idea what your status will be (as a junior or what), until you have your credits transferred over. There is no guarantee that any school here will accept all your credits, and even if that, if they will apply those credits to their degree program.
Boxus makes a good point here. Sure you have a whole bunch of dual-enrollment grades that you might think will count for credits. Don't mean to make you feel bad, but those things really do nothing other than boost your GPA really high. Most colleges at UM's caliber really do not care. They want to see you take the most challenging courses at YOUR school. If there is an AP calc class at your school, but you end up taking it at a community college just for the credits or because it's easier, colleges will know this and give preference to those who took it at their high school. I don't know where you live, but there are many community colleges that are basically unknown outside of a city or region and I doubt schools like UM would take credits. You can probably pull it off at a state school in your area that actually knows the CC, but idk about UM or even FIU. I can go to Miami-Dade College right now and take tons of extra classes for dual-enrollment and end up with like a 6.5 GPA, I doubt Harvard or Stanford will give me credits for them though.

Old 04-08-2011, 06:58 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,921,788 times
2010-2011 Cost of Attendance (New Freshman/New Transfer) | Enrollment Management | University of Miami (http://www.miami.edu/index.php/office_of_financial_assistance/ug/ug_coa/ug_coa_10_11/ - broken link)

55,000 dollahs , tag,title and registration. muchos dinero

61,000 dollahs -Harvard

Last edited by perry335654; 04-08-2011 at 07:17 PM..

Old 04-08-2011, 07:03 PM

769 posts, read 1,727,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
2010-2011 Cost of Attendance (New Freshman/New Transfer) | Enrollment Management | University of Miami (http://www.miami.edu/index.php/office_of_financial_assistance/ug/ug_coa/ug_coa_10_11/ - broken link)

55,000 dollahs , tag,title and registration. muchos dinero
Ouch! It was like $45,000 last time I checked. Must have gone up!

Old 04-09-2011, 03:02 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,869,940 times
I am a former UM student, and I can say UMiami is top notch, I can also say its fu$$$$g expensive. Unless you get financial aid or your parents are paying for you, no college is worth debt. Trust me on this one. If you have Miami vs FIU, I would choose miami, you're out of state.. itd be the same price and you'd have a better student life at Miami because FIU is a commuter school.

Miami is safe as long as you are smart, ie. don't walk in the bad parts of town at night. That's about it really.

I would not recommend living on South Beach if you're going to go to school here, its hard enough finding motivation to go to class, and if you're commuting in the traffic of Miami on US-1 I'll tell you what, it sucks big time.. makes it really easy to say screw class and stop and get some food instead. And trust me, there's no backroads to take to save time.

Brickell is good, but expensive.. and even that can take a really long time on a bad day. There had been days when I spent 40 minutes in my commute to school. Coconut Grove is a good place to stay, its much closer so the commute isn't near as bad.

If you can find a place in Coral Gables or South Miami, that would work out probably the best. I'd say the hardest part would be figuring out how the heck to get through coral gables, its easy to get lost.. just remember to always look for the golf course haha.

I have a hard time believing you will be enrolled as a junior... that would mean you've been doing full semesters of college for 2 years, it seems highly unlikely for you to be coming in with 60+ credits. I would look into that a little bit more.

It doesn't really matter where you choose to live as a freshman, because at UM you are required to live on campus.

Partying? Depends what you're into.. you'll find that out when you're here.. but if you focus too much on that you'll be looking at a one way ticket north.

Good luck with either school, both are good. Miami is an awesome city, just make sure you learn Spanish before you come, you'll have a much better experience. Make sure you know what you're getting yourself into before coming to Miami also... it might be a lot different than you are imagining.

Old 04-09-2011, 07:07 AM

841 posts, read 4,834,008 times
I agree that living in Coral Gables or South Miami would be a smart choice. I lived in South Miami and the campus was about 1-2 miles away. If you're bringing a car with you, I hope it's compact. Parking spaces are TINY.

Old 04-09-2011, 06:42 PM

4,968 posts, read 10,169,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
For example, in my opinion it is a waste of money to go to UM and get a history degree or something.
I remember that thread. I wonder where the guy ended up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami