Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 08:00 AM

2,930 posts, read 7,060,311 times

Advertisements

Im not surprised.

Most unemployment in the USA come from those who don't have great competitive skills. People with degrees only have a 5% rate compared to the 15% rate that those with no degrees have

Those jobs are very competitive here since we get a lot of unskilled immigrants especially from Cuba who can right away legally work in this country
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2011, 08:06 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,745,539 times
Meanwhile in my area Hendry County unemployment rate decreases 5-percent - NBC-2.com WBBH News for Fort Myers, Cape Coral & Naples, Florida

Old 04-21-2011, 08:21 AM

2,217 posts, read 4,266,387 times
tallrick your post was beautifully and elegantly written

Old 04-21-2011, 08:37 AM

193 posts, read 371,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Miami area residents live in a sort of dream world. I have a friend who lives in a suburb of Detroit and he tells me like it really is. Regulations and high taxes chased businesses out of the city, and that has been going on for a while. High real estate costs and property taxes chased some of south Florida's best out over the last 10 years. Today we have the lowest common denominators. The real estate market here was bid up to bubble status by drug money, and most property owners remain with the mindset that high prices are normal for the area. Once we hit depression I see drug prohibition becoming too expensive and being abandoned. If drugs are legalized it will eliminate the profit motive and stop the flow of cash to Miami. It will then be one hurricane away from being subtropical Detroit.

Now my friend in Detroit is in the online auto parts business. He has thrived in that city due to low real estate costs and has a growing business. Far from being hostile to business like Miami-Dade county is, he has gotten all kinds of assistance for his enterprise. Meanwhile in Miami the select few come to the city for the handful of six figure jobs while the masses fight for under 15 dollar an hour positions. People here are mesmerized by the hot sun and horrible humid weather into having the initial sunny outlook. However, just like a desert burns the weary traveler Miami's high rents, high regulations and hoardes of competition for jobs leave most to perish in the sand.
What he said.

I'll add that although people mention banking as one of Miami's strengths, it also rose out of the drug trade.

Also, I think Miami lacks a good education system, which hurts it. Even the private schools seem to churn out average pupils.

Waiting now for the devoted, misguided, Miamians to make an appearance to tell me if I don't like then I should move some place else....

Last edited by thelion; 04-21-2011 at 09:36 AM..

Old 04-21-2011, 08:58 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,745,539 times
I have recommended every new Miami resident to view the video "Cocaine Cowboys" from 2006. It is the most accurate representation of how Miami changed in the last decades. From rum runners, to the square grouper to snow.

Old 04-21-2011, 09:28 AM

5,187 posts, read 6,940,357 times
This country has as a whole has fallen due to greedy unions who have driven prices up to where it is more economically feasible to give those jobs over to foreign competitors has we have seen this happen in many industries. Some cities who lost a lot of industry such as Pittsburgh with the steel industry, have learned to reinvent themselves as they have with more skilled professional jobs.

It is sad to to see what America has become, not just a Detroit, because we have given it away because of avariciousness endeavors,mindless leaders, we have destroyed ourselves from within, so we can say Miami and Detroit are poster childs for the recessions but we must look at our country as a whole and think well maybe developing foreign countries look at us in the same way.

These are definitely end times,no doubt.

Last edited by perry335654; 04-21-2011 at 09:37 AM..

Old 04-21-2011, 09:42 AM

4,968 posts, read 10,194,475 times
True, America is no more

Old 04-21-2011, 09:52 AM

2,217 posts, read 4,266,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelion View Post
What he said.

I'll add that although people mention banking as one of Miami's strengths, it also rose out of the drug trade.

Also, I think Miami lacks a good education system, which hurts it. Even the private schools seem to churn out average pupils.

Waiting now for the devoted, misguided, Miamians to make an appearance to tell me if I don't like then I should move some place else....

not all banking here is evil. there are alot of honest people in south america who run businesses and who just want to keep their money in a supposedly more stable currency. those are the ones i'll really feel for if SHTF.

Old 04-21-2011, 10:09 AM

911 posts, read 1,713,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
This country has as a whole has fallen due to greedy unions who have driven prices up to where it is more economically feasible to give those jobs over to foreign competitors has we have seen this happen in many industries.
It's not the Unions fault no factories choose Miami and if low wages were the only criteria Miami would have to be near the top of the list.

Real business was never cultivated here is my guess. You have the drug days and the tourist industry and neither are substantial enough to keep the economy growing. There's not enough industry diversity here, plus it still has a tarnished image from the drugs days.

The cost of living is high here and that to factory owners means they may have to pay higher wages. Unless there are valid reasons for businesses to choose Miami, they won't ever be coming.

When factories look at cities they look at many things and a reliable workforce is only one of those line items. If it were your decision, would you really bet millions on Miami? Hell, this place isn't even a pleasant place to visit for more than a week, much less work and build a long term life here and don't think the smart people don't know it.

I don't know what's going to happen to Miami and I'm out of here anyway but I don't think Unions have anything to do with Miami's problems. The problem is, the city turned it's back and left the city to fend for itself without any long term planning to grow the cities economy.

Here's one to ask yourself, what would Miami be like today if it had no beach and no drug money?

Old 04-21-2011, 10:19 AM

5,187 posts, read 6,940,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmlacysr View Post
It's not the Unions fault no factories choose Miami and if low wages were the only criteria Miami would have to be near the top of the list.

Real business was never cultivated here is my guess. You have the drug days and the tourist industry and neither are substantial enough to keep the economy growing. There's not enough industry diversity here, plus it still has a tarnished image from the drugs days.

The cost of living is high here and that to factory owners means they may have to pay higher wages. Unless there are valid reasons for businesses to choose Miami, they won't ever be coming.

When factories look at cities they look at many things and a reliable workforce is only one of those line items. If it were your decision, would you really bet millions on Miami? Hell, this place isn't even a pleasant place to visit for more than a week, much less work and build a long term life here and don't think the smart people don't know it.

I don't know what's going to happen to Miami and I'm out of here anyway but I don't think Unions have anything to do with Miami's problems. The problem is, the city turned it's back and left the city to fend for itself without any long term planning to grow the cities economy.

Here's one to ask yourself, what would Miami be like today if it had no beach and no drug money?
Factories(smoke-blowing )as well as off-shore drilling wouldn't look too attractive in a tourist city like Miami anyway and no Miami is not union-oriented as Florida is a right-to work state as Miami ties are more to Latin America. South Florida Braces for Ripple Effect as Recession Hits Latin America. There would probably would be less crime without the beach because it would make drug smuggling more difficult without the coastal entry.

International banking has been mentioned in here many times along with the garment industry and tourism is substantial to the economy, it is just that wages are not commensurate to the cost of living as this is only one factor.

Last edited by perry335654; 04-21-2011 at 10:42 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami