Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 05:03 PM

18,073 posts, read 18,712,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackTheRipper View Post
Those are SOUTH ASIANS .

When people think Asian they think of Chinese, Vietnamese, Japanese etc. Those are EAST ASIANS (Orients).

The Government loves to give so many 'definitions', What's next...Hispanics are Black too?! .
Hispanic is an ethnicity, so a person can be black and Hispanic, white and Hispanic, Asian and Hispanic, American Indian and Hispanic, etc.

The gov does not differ if someone is from east Asia, there is no EEO category for south Asian, it is just Asian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2011, 09:45 PM

2,930 posts, read 7,039,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rie_ View Post
Manolón, do you really consider Filipinos Latin? Obviously I know about the shared culture/language from colonization by Spain but do other Latinos commonly think this? My cuban friends from Miami didn't have a clue that Spain colonized the Philippines and our languages had many Spanish words until I told them... lol They were shocked. It was kind of funny, I don't know if it's commonly known by other ethnic groups or what.
I think some people might not know because we have a small population of philipinos Most Asians I met in Miami were from China, Vietman and some From korean

I had a chemistry teacher in high school who was a filipino and that's how I found out they were colonized by Spain(he had a Spanish last name) at first i thought he was hispanic. I I don't think I ever met other philipinos here

What I find amazing is that there seems to be a lot of them in the USA. Another thing is that they love Latin culture. They watch Mexican telenovelas, do remakes of the same novelas and also listen to a lot of Spanish music. Daniela Romo's "todo todo" which is a Spanish song has its own Filipino dance which I find hilarious.

Old 04-22-2011, 11:53 PM

1,209 posts, read 2,411,192 times
we are here. just scattered though. Most of us filipinos work in hospitals and gather for sunday church. we dont have restaurants in Miami. we have oriental stores tho. restaurants that were started in the past didnt fare well at all. no particular filipino neighborhood whatsoever. were not as big as our california, toronto folks, but we are here and gather certain times of the year

Old 04-23-2011, 01:37 AM

399 posts, read 715,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cixcell View Post
where in cebu?!?!? i would have no problems whatsoever living in a nipa thatch home!
San Fernando..near Sangat. Our home is right next to her parents home. Most of her neighbors are family..cousins, uncles, etc. They have a bahay kubo..it's like a nipa hut it's very nice. They have a farm..cows, goats, pigs, chicken, and vegetables. I love it.

Old 04-23-2011, 03:13 AM

515 posts, read 366,742 times
Philippines has a great American influence too, English is an official language of this country for example.3 million people are Filipino-Americans in the US

Old 04-24-2011, 04:52 AM

2,226 posts, read 5,092,791 times
Rie

Filipinos are good Catholics, they have Spanish last names and Tagalog includes many Spanish words....Filipinos also speak Chabacano, pidgin Spanish....

Yes, they are Latins, there was a large Spanish population killed by the Japanese.

And...Isabel Preysler is filipina....what else could you ask?

There's a lot of Filipino influence in Mexico, because of the famous yearly galleon between Manila and Acapulco during 250 years.

Old 04-24-2011, 05:32 AM

911 posts, read 1,707,415 times
If Asians only make up 1% of the population who is manning all the Asian massage parlors?

Old 04-24-2011, 07:03 AM

2,930 posts, read 7,039,265 times
I dont know because I don't frequent those places, I haven't even seen them I guess they are around the tourist areas like the airport and the beach

What I do know is that many Chinese restaurants and many nail salons have Asians employees. I also see Asians working in regular places like Publix. I met many in school and college but that makes sense because their culture has a high regard for education(chinese especially)I probably see more because I live in SW Miami. Most of them are 1st generation and have Asian accents. They are very nice and easy to deal with.

Old 04-24-2011, 09:46 AM

5,187 posts, read 6,913,779 times
1.6% Percent make up the Asian population here in Miami-Dade and .6% in The city of Miami.

Miami-Dade County QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Old 04-24-2011, 10:02 AM

2,217 posts, read 4,255,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥ View Post
I dont know because I don't frequent those places, I haven't even seen them I guess they are around the tourist areas like the airport and the beach

What I do know is that many Chinese restaurants and many nail salons have Asians employees. I also see Asians working in regular places like Publix. I met many in school and college but that makes sense because their culture has a high regard for education(chinese especially)I probably see more because I live in SW Miami. Most of them are 1st generation and have Asian accents. They are very nice and easy to deal with.
asian restaurants here always a hodgepodge of anyone they can find that looks asian. vietnamese, thai, chinese, anyone they can find. i imagine the thais dont like the fact they have to bundle sushi (which is japanese) into their menu to stay afloat in miami but thats just how it is here. its like selling arepas at a churrascaria. i have also seen some scary scary things pass for chinese food here. chow mein covered in brown gravy. wtf. 2 giant balls of fried dough with little pieces of chicken inside sold as orange chicken. ive seen enough scary things that passed for sushi here that i now refuse to eat any in this state which is a crying shame since you can get so much wonderful seafood right up from the keys. also that whale harbor buffet in the keys was clearly aimed at snowbirds/midwesterners who arent seafood connoisseurs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami