Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 01:09 PM

2,217 posts, read 4,265,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
Yes because a drought will take up all the water in Biscayne Bay and the Atlantic Ocean also. It does not need to be fresh water, just water.

i was about to tear you a new one about not reading my post but then i realized my edit did not take for some reason. what i said in the edit was that turkey point can most likely cool the plant with seawater for a period of time but it will corrode and also it wont cool it very much at all during the summer when water offshore is like 90 degrees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2011, 05:21 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,001,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cixcell View Post
i was about to tear you a new one about not reading my post but then i realized my edit did not take for some reason. what i said in the edit was that turkey point can most likely cool the plant with seawater for a period of time but it will corrode and also it wont cool it very much at all during the summer when water offshore is like 90 degrees.
Yea what I quoted is what I saw. What you said is true. But again South Florida has had plenty of droughts. The Biscayne Aquifer has plenty of water for an emergency situation also. I am sure they have all these things planned out.

Old 05-01-2011, 05:52 PM

1,978 posts, read 4,405,202 times
A drought is a slow and protracted event which can be compensated for. A sudden cutoff of the water supply would be another story.

A reactor core basically has 3 major controls.

1)The immersion and retraction of the fuel rods into the reaction chamber.

2)The diversion and control of the flow of steam that is jettisoned.

3)The cooling system under which is contained the factors of flow-rate, temperature, and supply.

Notification of impending drought conditions would mean a retraction of the fuel rods, which if anything would place a higher load on the power grid and mean rolling blackouts for the affected drought period.

in a worst case scenario the reactor would have to be temporarily decommissioned until safer conditions prevailed. Electric would have to be purchased from other authorities, in effect raising power rates and power rationing might be in effect.

Retraction of the fuel rods from the core and potentially complete removal require access to areas of the reactor where workers may safely perform their duties ONLY while the cooling system is operational. It is only during emergent events, as opposed to protracted events that these areas would be inaccessible and thus create the conditions for a meltdown. Retraction of the fuel rods will bring the reaction to a near standstill while complete removal and temporary decommission will stop the reaction altogether.

Old 05-01-2011, 06:03 PM

2,217 posts, read 4,265,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptoid Humidian View Post
A drought is a slow and protracted event which can be compensated for. A sudden cutoff of the water supply would be another story.
well its only one canal that runs down palm. any guy driving a dump truck full of gravel is a potential nuclear terrorist.

Old 05-01-2011, 06:09 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,937,844 times

YouTube - The nuclear power plant of Japan 010

Old 05-01-2011, 06:10 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,937,844 times

YouTube - How nuclear energy works

Old 05-02-2011, 04:40 AM

911 posts, read 1,712,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post

Currently Japan is no where near a Chernobyl situation.

Yes because a drought will take up all the water in Biscayne Bay and the Atlantic Ocean also. It does not need to be fresh water, just water.
Actually, both were listed as a level 7 but they are different kind of reactors. Chernobyl had a graphite explosion that pushed the radioactivity into the stratosphere spreading the radioactivity further.

No level of radiation is acceptable and the effects of even small doses is still unknown. It's in the food supply there and we can hope it doesn't show up in future generations.

The jet stream runs directly from Japan over the US. That's how the Japanese launched those balloon bombs back in WWII. Fortunately for us, the radiation is diluted to the point it shouldnt have any effect or at least that's what we're being told.

The same thing happened in Japan as the BP oil spill. The Japanese government was getting their information from the company who ran it. It was the Fox guarding the hen house, and they lied about the levels and severity.

Finally, it's my understanding that reactors are cooled by fresh water not salt. That was a big concern in Japan as they were trying to cool the exposed spent fuel rods. If the salt built up, it could have caused an explosion releasing even more radioactivity.

I admit to watching too much CNN but trying to do my part to go green, without {{glowing}} green. I brush my teeth in Biscayne bay and only post one Craigslist causal encounter ad per day. If I could figure out how to run my house on dog hair, I'd be completely energy independent.

Old 05-02-2011, 08:47 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,739,729 times
It always makes me laugh to see the nuke protesters go back home to their air conditioned homes. The only way we will avoid going back to the stone age will be through nuclear power. Instead of disparaging nukes why not move to next-generation thorium liquid fluoride reactors that provide more energy with less waste volume and a new source of platinum? Until fusion can be controlled we need more fissile systems to replace coal which releases more radiation that all the nuke plants combined.

If I had the materials and the ability I would happily set up a home sized reactor.

Old 05-02-2011, 09:01 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,739,729 times

YouTube - Energy From Thorium: A Nuclear Waste Burning Liquid Salt Thorium Reactor

I always encourage the eco-nazis to educate themselves about nuclear power. Energy is wealth, the more available the better we all live. Solar panels take more energy to produce than they capture, biofuels often take away cropland, and wind energy is unreliable and dangerous. I believe that solar and wind are good for small-scale and we know that geothermal and hydroelectric provide reliable power for certain locations, with an environmental cost. Instead of endless resource wars and debt to elevate an elite class to luxury living, lets build 1,000 or more of these nuclear systems. The jobs created will lead to a real "wealth effect". The best way to fix a problem like the economy is to nuke it!

Old 05-02-2011, 09:05 AM

1,978 posts, read 4,405,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmlacysr View Post

I brush my teeth in Biscayne bay and only post one Craigslist causal encounter ad per day. If I could figure out how to run my house on dog hair, I'd be completely energy independent.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
View detailed profiles of: