U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 05-03-2011, 07:59 AM
 
2,217 posts, read 2,283,888 times
Reputation: 530

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Energy_Fin_Guy View Post
That's why Europeans love Miami. Cause it's nothing like the rest of the country.
but if thats the case, why not go balls out and just head straight to south america or the caribbean? its certainly cheaper currency wise.

 
Old 05-03-2011, 08:14 AM
 
193 posts, read 196,816 times
Reputation: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Energy_Fin_Guy View Post
That's why Europeans love Miami. Cause it's nothing like the rest of the country.
Where people get this from I have no idea..... I have plenty of Europeans visit and they all hate this place after 2 weeks.

Pretty girls, the sun, cheap shopping, and cheap girls get old after a while when you have to put up with the rest of it. Especially as South America is becoming more accessible and much of our attractiveness (in $ value) is because of the exchange rate that we can't do anything about.

Last edited by thelion; 05-03-2011 at 08:26 AM..
 
Old 05-03-2011, 08:31 AM
 
2,940 posts, read 4,063,583 times
Reputation: 1316
Quote:
Originally Posted by cixcell View Post
thats not america. that is the old depopulating america of the past. have you been to any major american city? nobody listens to country. its all mainstream/alternative music everywhere you go. if you dont hear coldplay on the radio and in every store you go in, its not america.
nobody listen to country? Are you for real? So who is buying all that country music? It's not a small market, it's huge and very profitable

America is big and many people live different lifestyles, including Hispanics in big cities. There is no "one American lifestyle". There are market segments and millions are spent on research. You won't find the same people in a white town in California, Nashville, Atlanta, NYC, upstate NY or Miami they are all American whether you agree with their lifestyle or not. People are free to go wherever they feel more comfortable like the OP.
 
Old 05-03-2011, 08:34 AM
 
Location: Land Of Moose, Blueberries, and Chickadees
10,263 posts, read 5,599,966 times
Reputation: 12999
I can't believe we are having a problem understanding what "assimilation" means.

When I moved to Germany, I did not insist they speak English, I did not insist they celebrate my Independence Day, I did not insist they do things, "the American way". I absorbed some of their culture, respected their culture and did my best to speak the language. I did not go in there to change things around.

"full assimilation occurs when new members of a society become indistinguishable from older members"

This does not happen in Miami. It's very evident who are the new members of the society. We've had Cubans and South Americans in Miami for a very long time but it wasn't until the past 20 something years that assimilation apparently stopped.

If you want to sell water or fruit on the street corner, fine. You are bringing part of your culture here. Great. But at least ask me if I want to buy the damn things in English.

If you're going to knock on my driver's side window to beg for a cigarette, as I wait at a stop light, ask me in English and don't get nasty with me because you want me to speak Spanish. (Yes, this indeed happened. Guess who didn't get a cigarette.)

If I walk in to the store where you work, don't treat me as a 2nd class citizen because I'm obviously not hispanic or latin and say, "Hi" to you instead of "Hola".

Many other places in this country do not drive like they do here. Many other places in this country show courtesy to their fellow drivers. Many other places in this country do not lay on the horn the millisecond the light turns green.

I had a conversation the other day with a tourist from Holland. They had gone to SeaWorld and visited the Orlando area. The differences they said between the people in Orlando and the people in Miami were night and day.

I told them that Miami is not an ambassador for the rest of America, please do not think all Americans are rude like they are here. It was only because they had gone to Orlando first that they were able to have an open mind about it.

The problem IS Miami. And if someone is happy about leaving, wish them well because they are going back to saner pastures, for sure.

By the way, I hate country music, don't like rodeos, am not in to fairs, and don't think about my sheep in that way so no, America is not a bunch of trailer trash rednecks.

America is pride in our country. It is about helping each other out; everyone should be like a brother and sister to us. It is about fighting for what is right and maintaining our freedoms. It's about working hard and going for the American dream which is to own something whether it be a business or a piece of land or a home.

It's about the right to the pursuit of happiness. It's about courtesy and respect for your fellow man.

It is not about "ME ME ME ME ME ME ME" and "get out of my way!" and talking obnoxiously loud on your cellphones and insisting that everyone do it the way you did it "back in my country".

If you come here and gain your citizenship, you are American. America is a melting pot, yes. But assimilation doesn't mean, "This is how I do it, you do it this way too", it's about keeping some of yourself and taking in from other cultures. Latin and hispanic cultures are NOT the only other cultures in America.

Back to the lady from Holland...she wanted to know why everyone was trying to speak to her in Spanish, she doesn't speak Spanish.

Miami, as has been pointed out here several times throughout this forum, is a tourist town.

Exactly. It's a TOURIST town.

People come from all over Europe: France, Germany, England... They come from Russia, Slovakia, Romania...they come from Japan, China, Australia, Canada, Thailand...

Those people do NOT speak Spanish! They speak their native language, maybe a few languages from areas close to them and English.

The business world's language is English. So if this is a tourist town, why do I need to be fluent in Spanish to work in a tourist trap gift shop on Collins Ave?

Those tourists learn English in their schools, not Spanish.

The only place that has not assimilated, is Miami.
 
Old 05-03-2011, 08:40 AM
 
2,217 posts, read 2,283,888 times
Reputation: 530
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥ View Post
nobody listen to country? Are you for real? So who is buying all that country music? It's not a small market, it's huge and very profitable

America is big and many people live different lifestyles, including Hispanics in big cities. There is no "one American lifestyle". There are market segments and millions are spent on research. You won't find the same people in a white town in California, Nashville, Atlanta, NYC, upstate NY or Miami they are all American whether you agree with their lifestyle or not. People are free to go wherever they feel more comfortable like the OP.

the reason youre wrong is called clear channel communications. the music industry is based around making the most bang for their buck. sure they may have some niche music genres here and there but the vast majority of popular music is played on the radio by the radio monopoly of clear channel communications. this is why you hear very similar radio stations in nearly every city in the country. i used to work for nbc universal. indeed some music soundtracks for movies are picked out by a bunch of artsy yuppie young women sitting around on couches. sometimes i wonder what life would have been like had i stayed there and simply moved to burbank. oh well, you cant look backwards.
 
Old 05-03-2011, 08:46 AM
 
2,217 posts, read 2,283,888 times
Reputation: 530
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorMama View Post
I can't believe we are having a problem understanding what "assimilation" means.

When I moved to Germany, I did not insist they speak English, I did not insist they celebrate my Independence Day, I did not insist they do things, "the American way". I absorbed some of their culture, respected their culture and did my best to speak the language. I did not go in there to change things around.

"full assimilation occurs when new members of a society become indistinguishable from older members"

This does not happen in Miami. It's very evident who are the new members of the society. We've had Cubans and South Americans in Miami for a very long time but it wasn't until the past 20 something years that assimilation apparently stopped.

If you want to sell water or fruit on the street corner, fine. You are bringing part of your culture here. Great. But at least ask me if I want to buy the damn things in English.

If you're going to knock on my driver's side window to beg for a cigarette, as I wait at a stop light, ask me in English and don't get nasty with me because you want me to speak Spanish. (Yes, this indeed happened. Guess who didn't get a cigarette.)

If I walk in to the store where you work, don't treat me as a 2nd class citizen because I'm obviously not hispanic or latin and say, "Hi" to you instead of "Hola".

Many other places in this country do not drive like they do here. Many other places in this country show courtesy to their fellow drivers. Many other places in this country do not lay on the horn the millisecond the light turns green.

I had a conversation the other day with a tourist from Holland. They had gone to SeaWorld and visited the Orlando area. The differences they said between the people in Orlando and the people in Miami were night and day.

I told them that Miami is not an ambassador for the rest of America, please do not think all Americans are rude like they are here. It was only because they had gone to Orlando first that they were able to have an open mind about it.

The problem IS Miami. And if someone is happy about leaving, wish them well because they are going back to saner pastures, for sure.

By the way, I hate country music, don't like rodeos, am not in to fairs, and don't think about my sheep in that way so no, America is not a bunch of trailer trash rednecks.

America is pride in our country. It is about helping each other out; everyone should be like a brother and sister to us. It is about fighting for what is right and maintaining our freedoms. It's about working hard and going for the American dream which is to own something whether it be a business or a piece of land or a home.

It's about the right to the pursuit of happiness. It's about courtesy and respect for your fellow man.

It is not about "ME ME ME ME ME ME ME" and "get out of my way!" and talking obnoxiously loud on your cellphones and insisting that everyone do it the way you did it "back in my country".

If you come here and gain your citizenship, you are American. America is a melting pot, yes. But assimilation doesn't mean, "This is how I do it, you do it this way too", it's about keeping some of yourself and taking in from other cultures. Latin and hispanic cultures are NOT the only other cultures in America.

Back to the lady from Holland...she wanted to know why everyone was trying to speak to her in Spanish, she doesn't speak Spanish.

Miami, as has been pointed out here several times throughout this forum, is a tourist town.

Exactly. It's a TOURIST town.

People come from all over Europe: France, Germany, England... They come from Russia, Slovakia, Romania...they come from Japan, China, Australia, Canada, Thailand...

Those people do NOT speak Spanish! They speak their native language, maybe a few languages from areas close to them and English.

The business world's language is English. So if this is a tourist town, why do I need to be fluent in Spanish to work in a tourist trap gift shop on Collins Ave?

Those tourists learn English in their schools, not Spanish.

The only place that has not assimilated, is Miami.


you dont think about your sheep in that way. LOL!!

i cant believe these people are as mean in their own countries as they are here in miami. i think its the scramble and mentality to 'strike it rich'. its the all consuming greed. i wonder what will happen if the dollar collapses, if they seriously crack down on immigration or if suddenly there aren't riches to be made in the united states. what will happen to all those people who moved here thinking they'd strike it rich?
 
Old 05-03-2011, 08:51 AM
 
Location: Delray Beach
911 posts, read 897,789 times
Reputation: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorMama View Post
I can't believe we are having a problem understanding what "assimilation" means.
I have reverse assimilation. The darker my tan the more people start conversations in Spanish.

Forget sunscreen at the beach, I'm considering bleach, and a Berka under my Hazmat suit.
Attached Thumbnails
I am so happy that I moved out of Miami...-berka-black.jpg   I am so happy that I moved out of Miami...-hazmat-beach.jpg  
 
Old 05-03-2011, 09:11 AM
 
Location: Delray Beach
911 posts, read 897,789 times
Reputation: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥ View Post
nobody listen to country? Are you for real?
I don't listen to country and I'm from Texas. I didn't have an oil well or ride a horse to work. I didn't know who shot JR before anybody else and the closest my son has ever been to a cow, is a hamburger.
 
Old 05-03-2011, 09:16 AM
 
Location: Luton, UK
20 posts, read 7,019 times
Reputation: 36
I'm European (English) and I went to Miami on holiday once with the wife & kids while we were living in Orlando.

Never again. Evil place.
 
Old 05-03-2011, 09:35 AM
 
2,940 posts, read 4,063,583 times
Reputation: 1316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmlacysr View Post
I don't listen to country and I'm from Texas. I didn't have an oil well or ride a horse to work. I didn't know who shot JR before anybody else and the closest my son has ever been to a cow, is a hamburger.
So? You dont represent the whole state of Texas. The statistics speak for themselves. Millions of Americans listen to country music, not 3 or 4 people. You guys can argue all day long about "what the real America is like" but you don't have facts to back up your claims besides personal anecdotes. Last time I checked Garth Brooks sold more than a few records.

The only thong this thread is showing is your own prejuidice, not only against Latino but against country music listeners. People like you would never be happy anywhere because you will always walk around with your negativity and "fuchi" attitude(higher than thou) Something brought you here in the first plac and I don't think the Cubans went to your local towns recruiting people to move here. You didn't do your reasearch and people are different than you? YOUR problem. Grow up people and stop acting like little girls whining about things you CAN'T change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top