Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 06:16 PM

2,217 posts, read 4,252,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥ View Post
I noticed that climate can vary greatly within classifications. I never thought Medellin and Miami were both Am. I thought Miami had mire in common with Tampa and than Medellin. Miamis weather is unpleasant and it takes a toll on some vegetation during the winter and summer months Medellin is very pleasant, most people dont need air conditioner and it is usually around 72 degrees and you never feel the humidity even during the hottest days when it can reach low 80's Also the tempereature there never drops below the 60's I wish we had a place like that in the USA.
theres hawaii.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2011, 10:26 PM

433 posts, read 950,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptoid Humidian View Post
What on earth is aQWSDss???

Rep, aQWSDss, if I remember correctly my intention was to mention the little hole one has at the end of the back. If you do not have it, I recommend you to report yourself to the X-FILE FBI Department.

People, I understand that in certain aspects Miami was heaven especially if one makes a fair comparison to other cities of the time. But comparing the old Miami to the actual one, the present version is, in my opinion, a thousand times better, not only from an economic point of view but from a moral perspective. You know after living several years in a communist society I really value the whole rant stating:

"that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness. That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed"

And if a recall properly there was a sizeable population of Miami that was not getting any of this is good stuff written by the big Jefferson. So, sorry guys, I really understand your point of view but scrutinizing the whole picture I say the actual Miami, where a black kid from the ghetto can beat the odds and make it without vow to any privileged caste, is a better place than the Miami of the 50’s.

Nonetheless, Cixell, good video I really enjoy old pictures and videos. They make me think about how much society has changed and how is going to be in the next 50 years if we, the human race, keep growing at this unsustainable rate in detriment to the planet resources. Oh well, now I jumped to a philosophical thread.

Old 05-09-2011, 12:16 AM

66 posts, read 63,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Jefferson View Post
People, I understand that in certain aspects Miami was heaven especially if one makes a fair comparison to other cities of the time. But comparing the old Miami to the actual one, the present version is, in my opinion, a thousand times better, not only from an economic point of view but from a moral perspective. You know after living several years in a communist society I really value the whole rant stating:

Help me understand what about Miami is better now. I mean, Miami NOW is better for you than in CUBA. Excuse me for being blunt, but anything is going to be BETTER than CUBA.

The same thing goes for the Haitians, Dominicans, etc. They all think they have it so good here...if they only knew how pleasant Miami was before it was swamped with people from the same poor countries.

Pretty much all of north central Miami (North Miami, NMB, Opa-locka, Miami Gardens, etc.) was lily white paradise until the government started buying large tracts of land and building exclusively Afro-American projects on top of former parks and athletic fields. This grand public experiment failed miserably because of the immediate increase in crime these projects brought with them, causing the white middle class to flee Miami for good. The ill advised policies of the federal government can screw up a city quicker than 3 decades of relentless immigration...

Old 05-09-2011, 12:54 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,651,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post

YouTube - Wonders of Miami Beach, 1964

The best video yet and this was the year of the Civil Rights Act
I have not seen this one yet! The sad thing is that every one of those places has decayed and fallen out of favor, with most long gone. Growing up from the 70's on, I kept seeing these places remodeled or demolished to be replaced by increasingly bad taste. Then again, the styles of clothing and hair in the 70's and 80's were equally awful. Even the suburbs had the same style, from homes to shopping centers. Flashy neon and tropical trees, replaced in the 70's and 80's by wood with rough plaster slapped on, with barrel tiles tossed on for additional vomitous flair. The goal today is to cram as much in to maximize profits. But just like the past the things built today will decay and be replaced- but they will be downsizing again as energy runs out.

Old 05-09-2011, 07:12 AM

2,226 posts, read 5,088,411 times
Back then everyone was happier, even blacks had it better, because there was no such shameful place as MLK drive. Blacks actually had families and a majority of black children (66%) had fathers, as opposed to less than a third now. Segregation is a natural phenomena and when government intrudes into the real estate market, disasters happen. Look how Miami self-segregated itself even after the government's ill advised attempt to mix everyone together in the late 1960's...

-----

Without Latin presence, Miami would be now a very large black ghetto. Take a look at Atlanta and Detroit. Miami has always been segregated.

As to the historical footage, no question that Miami is not a peaceful bucolical town but a city known all around the world.

Plenty of whites in Miami, but no place for blue collar crackers.

Old 05-09-2011, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolón View Post
Without Latin presence, Miami would be now a very large black ghetto. Take a look at Atlanta and Detroit. Miami has always been segregated.

As to the historical footage, no question that Miami is not a peaceful bucolical town but a city known all around the world.

Plenty of whites in Miami, but no place for blue collar crackers.

What are you talking about? Atlanta is a huge up and coming city. They have MUCH more money there than they do here and massive massive buildings. just go to the georgia aquarium and stand in AWE of the four WHALE SHARKS swimming over your head behind 2 ft thick glass or go to atlanta botanical gardens and push open the door to each different ecosystem. go from tropical rainforest full of frogs to a hot dry desert climate in seconds to a highland cloud forest in a few more seconds. its incredible!
i can buy malaysian cuisine in north atlanta. you dont find that sort of food many places in the country let alone atlanta. and it was fantastically delicious! Atlanta is anything but a black ghetto. my girlfriend's friend moved up there because they have a huge indy music scene. for many bands atlanta is as close as they come to here.

Old 05-09-2011, 12:59 PM

609 posts, read 1,135,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cixcell View Post
What are you talking about? Atlanta is a huge up and coming city. They have MUCH more money there than they do here and massive massive buildings. just go to the georgia aquarium and stand in AWE of the four WHALE SHARKS swimming over your head behind 2 ft thick glass or go to atlanta botanical gardens and push open the door to each different ecosystem. go from tropical rainforest full of frogs to a hot dry desert climate in seconds to a highland cloud forest in a few more seconds. its incredible!
i can buy malaysian cuisine in north atlanta. you dont find that sort of food many places in the country let alone atlanta. and it was fantastically delicious! Atlanta is anything but a black ghetto. my girlfriend's friend moved up there because they have a huge indy music scene. for many bands atlanta is as close as they come to here.
I can attest to this since I used to live there. Yes Atlanta, has it's ghetto areas, but they started remodeling all of that since 1999. If I could find pictures that compared to how much they've changed things, you would be amazed.

Old 05-09-2011, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinetic_A View Post
I can attest to this since I used to live there. Yes Atlanta, has it's ghetto areas, but they started remodeling all of that since 1999. If I could find pictures that compared to how much they've changed things, you would be amazed.
ive spent alot of time in college park over there. i still felt safer than many areas of miami. and the southern hospitality... *cries*

Old 05-09-2011, 01:26 PM

609 posts, read 1,135,136 times
Quote:
ive spent alot of time in college park over there. i still felt safer than many areas of miami. and the southern hospitality... *cries*
That is the thing. No one bothered you. Regardless of who you were, people had no problems talking to you/striking up a conversation. Only reason people got into trouble because they were looking for it.

Old 05-09-2011, 01:46 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,905,777 times
Quote:
Good ol' Clayton County, I wonder if they ever got bus service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami